passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Saints Row Reboot

Nag

On 21/08/2022 at 14:39, one-armed dwarf said:

I'm just predicting a lot of reviews saying that it plays like a 360 game.

To be honest tho, there's enough footage out there surely to get an idea of what to expect. 

This isn't 'technically' that, but close enough lol

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/saints-row-game-review-an-open-world-mess-beyond-redemption/

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. Sounds like the game is going to need a few patches and a heavy discount for me to pick it up.

Unless this for some reason sells really well I think this might be it for Saints Row, maybe this studio as well? 

Not like it’s even in my top 100 game series or it holds anything super important to gaming history, but RIP all the same 

It's  actually pulled a couple of fairly high scores with Destructiod giving it an 8 and bigging up the free roam aspect quite a bit... anyway, guess I'll see for myself tomorrow.

It always looked like a very basic, 360 era open world game. But so was Crackdown 3 and I kinda loved that. Playing types of games they don’t make anymore can be refreshing (if you liked those type of games in the first place)

But I guess this isn’t fun kind of throwback. Just a boring, buggy mess. 

The late embargo really was a red flag on the quality of this game, but I was hoping to be surprised 

I could still go for it once the price drops and it gets patched but it’s going to be a while I think 

On 18/08/2022 at 16:52, DisturbedSwan said:

I'm quite surprised people are actually interested in this really, everything I've seen of it just doesn't excite me at all.

Nailed it 😂

In all seriousness, the average review scores kind of make me want to play this more once its had a few patches lol.

3/5 Review from Keith Stuart in The Guardian, albeit the closing para & sentence still seems promising:

"Indeed, while Saints Row is messy, buggy, silly and often derivative, it also recalls a time in the early 2000s when the open world genre was a haphazard, joyful space with none of the codified, dopamine-fracking precision of modern titles. There are, in this frisky reboot, the ghosts of titles such as True Crime: Streets of LA, State of Emergency, The Getaway and Runabout – patchy, imperfect but gripping experiments in player agency that didn’t quite understand the conventions, but had a bash anyway. To me that is a far more interesting set of stablemates than the last couple of Saints Row titles. To me, this is a preposterously fun video game, despite its many faults, or more accurately, because of them."

I was watching Eurogamer play it earlier and Ian seems to absolutely hate it. It looked alright, but while they were playing they had one mission just not trigger, one they were unable to start, a looping music bug, cars just flying up in to the road, and some stories of lost progress.

I could see it really annoying reviewers but others being less frustrated because they aren't up against a deadline with it

I got hit with a 16GB update when I booted it this afternoon (the game has been downloaded since Friday) so that's very recent and reviewers wouldn't of had that.... saying that the game froze while was creating my boss.🤣

Not played enough of this yet to properly form an opinion, but it seems alright. Well, except for the collisions with every car, which makes anyone you hit go to the fucking moon. Bit weird. 

Oh, and the new Saints have been totally unlikeable arseholes so far. Fun times.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it looks like this game sold quite well. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/09/ps-store-sales-charts-saints-row-sells-well-despite-mixed-reception

Another article I quickly read the headline of is the game needs to sell 2 million to break even. Seems like it'll probably do that, which is lucky. 

What's unlucky is it means this game is holding it's value! I know it's only been out for a couple of weeks but c'mooooooon where's my under £30 Saints Row game. I want to play it too.