passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

After a short break from them I watched the next Studio Ghibli film. 

Only Yesterday

It was ok. Just an enjoyable, nice story basically. I loved how they did the artwork with the moments in the past having missing detail and a more painterly look compared to the full screen more detailed modern sections. Smart. 

Spin Me Round (2022)

Dark comedy with Alison Brie and Aubrey Plaza - a group of restauranteurs 'win' a work trip to Italy, but things don't quite work out as anticipated.

So true - I anticipated it would be wryly funny, but it really wasn't. Cast are engaging, but storyline is pretty poor, and running with an 18 certificate it barely touched on even American Pie type bawdy humour, and it's just the 2 min (heavily hinted) shock scene in the last 15 min that earned the rating.

Maybe give it a miss.

Did an Evil Dead double bill courtesy of Netflix last night... started with the 2013 film which I'd already seen years ago and couldn't remember at all, stands up really well tbf and some really wince inducing injuries included.

Followed up with Evil Dead Rise which was also pretty great, nice to see that they continued on with humour of the originals... pretty much the perfect runtime with both films too.

Watched Zoolander on a plane, that was a fun film. Glad I watched that instead of Quantum-Mania

Those are nuts reviews for a new Saw film. I've only seen the first one and that's considered the best, but even that didn't get received super well. Wish it was on streaming, need to find some horror films to watch

Also watched a film a couple of weeks back that looking at the review scores should've been terrible but I actually thought it was pretty damn good... God is a Bullet... basically it's a violent revenge flick, think it's a Sky original so it's up on Now.

I didn't know that Plex had content now, when I used it before it was a self hosting thing

I watched Evil Dead: Rise. It was a good show, but not exactly pushing the envelope for an Evil Dead film. I'd put it in the middle of the pack, above the original (sorry, not a big fan of it) and Army of Darkness, but below Evil Dead 2 and the 2013 reboot-remake, which I still think is a tremendously underrated effort. 

I feel like it lacked that sense of escalation and sense of reality being unhinged like how the other films go. The tone between camp and bloody horror isn't as well maintained, but I did laugh at a few of the more out there gore scenes. But 2013 is still better at that stuff

Watched Barbarian on apple (rental), thought it was great. I guess I won't say much, but I thought it had a clever structure that allowed it to layer different things such that it didn't hit that plateau most horror movies hit where you get too used to what's going on. Kept turning into different things that kept it interesting. Found it inventive and it wasn't too overly self aware like some 'smart' horror films can be at times

In many regards I'd say this gave me the Raimi kick I needed more than that recent Evil Dead film did (I know Raimi didn't direct either but just saying)

Haunted Mansion (2023)

Now on D+ (despite only being in the cinema a couple of months ago). It was okay, the effects are pretty good and there's plenty of nods to the Disney attraction, but it isn't as tight as the Eddie Murphy version (this running at 2hrs compared to the 90 min original) but takes a different swerve with the story - and around the 1 hr mark you do wonder quite where it's all actually going.

Cocaine Bear...

I think this got middling reviews when it released and I went in to it not expecting too much, I ended up really liking it tbf... some laugh out loud parts, decent cgi and (surprisingly) it was the two kids who made the film.

Equaliser 3, pretty good. Probably the best of the 3. Slow but good once it has the action that is on par with Wick in patches. 8/10

Gran Turismo, absolute cheese fest. The writing is so so bad and unintentionally funny. Many scenes make zero sense. One has a massive crash. Two cars proper in bits on track and upside down and there’s a yellow not a red flag and safety car (that you never see) for a second then apparently everything is clear. Another the stars car just begins to raise and flies off which we learn somehow kills a spectator which is apparently “part of racing”. During that scene his mom, Geri Halliwell is watching and screams “MY BABY!” 😂 

Some racing is well done but when they need for the star to overtake there’s a shot of him going up a gear and pedal to the metal. Every time. Like oh yeah he just needed to use that next gear. 5/10

Knock at the Cabin... this played out quite differently than I'd imagined and was all the better for it, enjoyed it a lot and was helped by the fact a like Dave Bautista anyways.

65... it has Dinosaurs in it, it has to be great right?... wrong, it was shit.

Host (2020)

Made for Shudder, but it's on iPlayer - runtime 55 mins.

Pretty decent film, made during lockdown, where some friends get together for an online seance via Zoom, and, well things go on from there.

It was pretty good all up, esp. noting the constraints they had in making it - well worth a watch (but probably doesn't really do anything (overall) that you wouldn't expect - but had you watched it in 2020 might have put you off online meetings a little).