passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Nowadays I'll just type whatever I'm stuck on into google and click the first result I come across, if that doesn't help I'll then go through YouTube and try to find a video but I usually find that takes a lot longer is is more annoying, so I try to avoid it when I can.

As for cheats, don't think I've used any since the GTA trilogy on PS2 to be honest. I used a few mods on XCOM 2 on PC to increase damage and stuff at times but nothing that would make it a 'god' mode or anything like that.

I remember calling the N64 tips line after being stuck on Banjo-Tooie for ages, must've cost my parents a fortune lol. 

No new question this week, blame the Queen I guess.🤷‍♂️

ps5-1-1591910417.png

Nag says...

"Simple question this week, have the PS5 and Xbox Series been worth it so far? It's not too far away from the two year mark for the consoles now and I'd like to know whether people think it's been worth jumping aboard"

I missed a gen. So the PS5 has been wholly worth it for me so far. The Switch is great but a Nintendo machine gives you a very blinkered view of gaming as a whole. PS5 has enabled me to see what gaming in general has been upto.

I've said it before but I like saying it so I'll say it again. The Series X is a brilliant console. Not only does it play most modern games the best, it plays old games the best, it has great features (VRR, Smart Delivery, quick start), it's really fast, and of course the value of Gamepass is just unmatched. 

The only downsides is it could be a bit better to use. You get used to it but at first it is a bit like where is everything. The second problem, and it is a big one, is it just hasn't had any big Xbox flagship games to flex with. Halo Infinite was cool but still not a patch on Bungie Halo, and Forza H5 was great but I think is a series suffering from diminishing returns. Still waiting for all these studio purchases to deliver on that front. 

It is normal for the newest console to be better than the last, and with the Xbox One it's not that hard I guess, but I really think the Series X is the best Xbox console full stop and by quite a ways. It's a shame about the big games but I'm completely satisfied with the new Xbox. It's really, really good and it's this and the Switch where I spend most of my video game time. 

If I didn't have a pc series X would be the one of the two I would have gotten, for the backwards compatibility. Sony seem to have made a hames of it on PS5 (tho they are improving) with things like asset streaming bugs in some of their titles and confusing upgrade paths for cross gen

It's really really important imo, or should be, that old games get preserved. A lot of it is worth going back to, especially in a quiet year like 22. Xbox is still the only place to play the good version of Ninja Gaiden, it will be a sad day when MS release a system that can't play NG Black.

I've been playing the series X almost none stop for most of the time it's been out. Easily the best console I've had in terms of operation. Just the loading times make it worth it.

I did have a bit of catching up to do with Xbox exclusives to begin with, but after playing all the gears, halos and what-have-you on gamepass, I've moved away from that service and just but games in the deals page of the store.

That seems to fit the way I game better.

Downside, I find it difficult to play the switch, which was my main console for the three years preceding. Every thing is so slow and framey. Never noticed until the X came out.

11 minutes ago, bellow said:

Just the loading times make it worth it.

This is pretty much my attitude with both the PS5 and Series X... in terms of games I'm not sure either console has shown a fraction of what they're capable of but I know I couldn't go back to the loading times of last gen now.

Games wise, absolutely not. However the loading times and a lot of games being 60fps or at least having the option for it has absolutely made it worth while upgrading. The loading times in particular. It’s changed the way I play games and how often I’m willing to put them on for a quick blast. I didn’t realise just how negatively loading had effected gaming in general until I got these. 

Games wise though it’s been ridiculously bad. 2 years and no notable exclusives. & cross gen games can’t even do both 4k and 60. Still have to make concessions either way. Don’t care what anyone says they should be able to. People always go on about how underpowered the PS4 and One were and how ultra powerful these are so the fact it can’t do that with last gen games is still massively disappointing. 

I'm kind of with @mfnickin that, just looking at the PS5 on its own, it's probably not been worth the £500. There's been a few games, Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, and Astrobot that have been really good and feel like they're using the machine. Largely though when I've used it it's been either PS5 upgrades of PS4 games (like Soul Hackers 2 that I'm currently playing), or just straight up PS4 games at best running in Pro mode. I had a Pro, so that's not a jump for me, similarly most of the load times don't feel like a huge leap over my pc, but every now and then there's something that stands out.

that being said though, sometimes you just want a more powerful box, one that runs things better, seems like both consoles offer that after the hamstrung last generation

In my limited experience with the console (I've only played the fridge xbox), it's a no.

Out of all the things I've seen the one thing that I'd like to give a punt is Returnal. Not really sure why it's PS5 only, looks like it could be done elsewhere, albeit with slightly less impressive graphics.

I generally have extreme apathy with AAA stuff. I think creatively we're in a bit of a dead end. Yeah they run better, they look better and they sound better, but there's something missing. If these games were people, they'd be stunningly beautiful, but soulless and boring to spend any time with.

I don't think that's a console problem per se. It's a design by committee homogenisation that's to blame.

Bit of a mixed answer for me as one side of the equation I'd answer absolutely, the other side I'm answer absolutely not. 

So my PS5 has been in almost constant use since launch, amazing exclusives like Miles Morales, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon: HW, Demon's Souls, Sackboy (Stray, GoT: DE, Returnal are both meant to be great too but I've not played) along with some stellar 3P titles like RE Village, Hitman 3, AC Valhalla, Yakuza: LaD, which really purr on the PS5 have meant this is probably the best first 18 months for a console in as long as I can remember. It's certainly much much better than PS4 and PS3 that's for damn sure.

On the other side of the equation, my Series X has been sat gathering dust, having only been turned on once or twice since January when I finished Halo Infinite. Between July-November or so last year I loved it, some cool 1P titles like Halo and Horizon 5 came out, I was enjoying some 3P exclusive smaller titles on Game Pass like Art of Rally and stuff but at this present moment in time it doesn't feel worth it at all and has become an expensive paperweight.

I think there's 1 game I'm interested in for this year (Plague Tale 2 with Game Pass) but next year looks promising which is probably the only thing keeping me from selling it at the moment. Feel like its been a massive waste of money for me at the moment which is a shame, hopefully they can turn it around next year with the roadmap looking good. 

Game Pass is largely irrelevent for me as I don't time to play anything that isn't at the very top of my 'to play' list, which are usually AAA games as they're the most worth my time in my view.

So yeah Series X - Absolutely not, wish I'd stayed to my 1 console policy and not been swayed last Summer in hindsight.

PS5 - Absolutely, absolutely incredible console with some cracking exclusives already, and we're not even 2 years in yet.

dragon-age (1).png

Readers discuss their favourite fantasy video games and the worlds they’re set in, from The Elder Scrolls to Dark Souls.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Gooch, who meant any game with at least a vaguely Tolkien-esque feel, as popularised by Lord of the Rings, as well as low fantasy settings such as Game of Thrones.

We had plenty of different suggestions for the best game and, interestingly, many people said that they don’t usually like the setting but made an exception for their particular choice

Morrowind, cause it felt like you were a pilgrim learning the culture of an alien world.

Also, Sigil in Planescape Torment. Probably the hardest I ever bought into a fantasy world in a video game. Both of these games have to be played imo, especially Planescape cause it makes its world feel so vivid just through text

Shin Magami Tensai and it's spinoffs are up there as a favourite and I like Castlevania's world.  It's drawing from folklore from lots of places but it's wrapped up in this gothic aesthetic I like.

I wish more would pull from the pegan ideas but it's mostly used for horror than something broader.  I know that there is an Assassin's Creed game coming based on it but I don't want to get on board to trying one again and get bored by it.

There's obviously Bloodborne too.  I like Bloodborne a lot but I'm maybe not up there with its biggest fans though I like it's world the most.

Have we had this topic recently? Even to me, it seems familiar?🤔

I'll go for some outlier picks.

Suikoden - The world building and it's lore is incredibly rich and diverse. 

Breath of Fire - JRPG+Dragons+people that turn into Dragons=win!

Majora's Mask - The most immersive Zelda story.