passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

14 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I started doing batch cooks and then portioning stuff out in flat bags that I slit in the parts of the freezer so I can sling them in the saucepan and warm them through quickly. It saves a lot of time.

Yep. When I move I think I'm going to get back to that. At the minute there's an Aldi literally across the road from me, it's too easy just to buy stuff every day. The new place isn't exactly remote, but it's not as convenient as that, so I'll need to make better use of the freezer and just living on a budget 

Has anyone been following the beeve around Linus Tech Tips? 

From what I understand, Linus' channel has recently pivoted to being an actual tech critique channel, I thought it already was but 🤷🏻. In the midst of this they've made a few mistakes, reporting false numbers on graphics card and CPU performance, coopers, claiming a mouse had too much friction when it still had the protective stickers on the underside. It seems like it came to a head when they (Linus in particular) went in on a prototype cooler despite doing their testing on a product it wasn't designed to fit, then doubling down saying it was shit when they were pulled up on that. They then auctioned off this one of a kind prototype for charity without the owner's permission, stalling their business as they now had no prototype to work with. 

I heard about this because I caught a Gamers Nexus video about it where he calls them out for all of this, finds loads of examples of poor work, and goes in on them for ethically dubious corporate ties (Linus investing in a firm they review products from). It's an interesting watch, and the reaction from Linus to it suggests they aren't wrong about it. 

Fwiw I've never been a big fan of Linus, but the videos where they just fuck around with tech (I saw one where they modded a Game Gear) can be quite interesting, even if they do show that they aren't careful enough for a tech review channel 

Yeah I saw this. I had gone off him a bit cause I found him very sort of disingenuous in his videos, which he sort of plays into with the whole 'segue into sponsor' thing. But there's so many conflicts of interest outlined in the gamer nexus video that those feelings that he's just sort of selling hype rather than trying to inform customers becomes impossible to ignore. I stopped watching entirely sometime around them doing a 4090 benchmark video and all the numbers were wrong, so basically useless info.

That's not getting into the disgraceful treatment of this high grade cooler company where he sells off the prototype and does not offer to compensate until after the video is released by GN, which came out in this follow up video yesterday

His stance on the whole thing and reaction is maybe the most Trumpian kinda thing I've seen in this space. Unsubbed (tho I forgot I was subbed still in the first place for some reason). Some major affluenza, he just seems not a great dude really

GN in general are a good channel, they had AMD's feet to the fire recently on an issue with Am5 motherboards blowing chips up, which made every AM5 provider rush to update their motherboards voltage settings. Asus had the worst example of this, which again was notably absent in any Linus coverage and learning that the current LTT CEO used to work for Asus is pretty illuminating there (edit actually that might be wrong, not sure where I got that from)

edit also this culture sounds pretty horrible (it's a long thread)

12 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Fwiw I've never been a big fan of Linus, but the videos where they just fuck around with tech (I saw one where they modded a Game Gear) can be quite interesting, even if they do show that they aren't careful enough for a tech review channel 

yeah i've seen some of this, it's pretty crappy, having said that i agree with what DANGERMAN's saying there they do have some interesting videos sometimes.

edit - hadnt seen the other stuff coming out around this potentially much worse

I used to watch Linus all the time when I was on PC up to 2020 or so, towards the end I stopped watching as it was overly negative and too YouTubey clickbaity for me which I hate. It's always been a little like that but felt like the last couple I was watching got even worse and I bailed.

yeah the stuff with Madison has revealed a culture of bullying and cliquey-ness over at LTT. One of the things which leaked is an audio of a meeting they had after she left and the advice given to people by Linus who are dealing with harassment is to approach your harasser and work it out between each other.

Hopefully their hiatus drops them off the algorithm 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mortal Kombat 1...Eventually

After an initially encouraging download to get the game up and running. I have to wait an additional three and a half hours for the (114gb) download for story mode and Invasion Mode. What an absolute joke. Looks like, after playing through the tutorial mode. I'm not actually getting into this today then...🙄

Been playing "Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous" (PS4) for a couple of months, around 80+ hrs, and whilst the loading times have been pretty irksome throughout I've hit a further snag now I've progressed to Act 4.

It's a Demonic Abyss with the world structure subtly changing as you rotate the camera view, to open up hidden pathways (as structures move & morph). Which all sounds pretty cool, and very thematic.

But the framerate suffered badly, like single digits at times, and reading across on the official forums it's a well know issue (even on PCs) with no particular resolution.

But 80+ hrs in, then I'll just have to stick with it, and make very slow progress.

Please don't tell me that BG3 isn't blighted with this sort of thing too !

I did a summary post in the Games thread for "Pathfinder: Kingmaker" and the sequel is much of the glorious same (RPG, good cast of characters, interactions & choice).

I've enjoyed both Pathfinder games at least as much as the two D:OS games and PoE Deadlight (and more than the first PoE game) - and they are worthy successors to the original Baldurs Gate games. 

MK1

I've slowly been chipping away at story mode. When I've finished it, I'll set up a thread and talk about the game. It's energy and time I don't have at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind. @mfnick already set up a thread.

EDIT 2.0: I'm not as enamoured as him, either.