passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

'Gamer' has such a negative connotation in my mind these days that whenever I hear or read the term I automatically think of people like that. Fake gatekeeping, console war nonsense, the usual fluff. Probably a byproduct of the medium attracting a lot of younger people, which other forms of entertainment don't really do. At least not quite in the same way.

I dunno, probably not worth typing more than this about this particular thing.

During the pandemic I was listening to the radio at work and there was a woman that put 3000+ hours in to Animal Crossing! If that's not being an actual gamer I don't know what is. I've never put 3000+ hours in to any game ever 

Fair enough it was during the pandemic, but still. I didn't play 3000+ hours of anything during Covid 

I remember me and a friend sitting under floodlight-type desktop lamps in his room at night to play F-Zero Maximum Velocity. Funny how you simply accept this nonsense as kids while your parents just shook their heads.

The tweet got deleted. Basically around the time time it was announced Sony laid off lots of people, Geoff Keighley was promoting smellovision for gaming, there were two tweets and one is missing also. People called him out on it

edit here

Spoiler

Screenshot-20240227-174656.pngScreenshot-20240227-174706.png

That weird period around Phantom Pain's release with Kojima leaving Konami was also the one and only time he didn't talk about the industry like it's all unicorns and rainbows.

He is super dependent on the layoff-companies giving him money for his shows though. I'm not saying he's handling it well by bowing before them, but on the other hand I kind of wouldn't want to be in that position either. But I suppose it's also his fault to position himself front and center instead of just being the invisible organiser in the background.

The guy who made Immortality and stuff is always really weird to me. Because the game’s he makes are meant to be cerebral, analytical, FMV narrative heavy games

But everything he loves and tweets about is video game ass video games

It’s a weird mix of having little interest in what he makes but great interest in what games he likes (given he’s award winning game designer/writer)

Digital Foundry successfully got me pissed off about lay-offs and Insomniac. 

They didn’t say anything I haven’t heard or am not saying myself, but listening to it while eating dinner, especially the framing of Insomniac - easily Sony’s best studio, taking such a hit on staff

I think we’ve all been talking about how boring and one note Sony’s 1st party games have got. But, damn, they really aren’t the Sony of old anymore at all are they? 

Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us are still in my top 25 games. I love both those games. But there’s also the idea that they might have been the worst thing to ever happen to Sony and how Naughtydog have shaped too much of what modern Sony is 

Not that it’s directly their fault, but you know what I mean 

I vaguely remember one of their execs saying some years ago that they wanted to become the next Nintendo. Looking at where they're standing now, it's almost comical how they missed the point. Yes, their first party lineup is super polished and high quality but for them that seems to be the absolute mission statement and not just a byproduct of wanting your next new idea to be as finely tuned as it can be.

The more I think of the current 'big three' landscape the more I'm convinced Sony is standing on the most fragile ground out of all of them, even though at face value it might not look that way. Their own niche is unsustainable and they seem to have lost enormous amounts of momentum with their unsuccessful attempts at reaching for the GAAS stars. They're lucky Microsoft has zero momentum either and negligible amounts of market share, otherwise this would be a bit of a doomsday scenario I think.