passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first time one of these old Gothic games has been on console, as far as I know

On PC they have a very strange control system that some speculate is because a console port was planned back in the day, but scrapped, so based on that it should work well enough.

These games are very weird to play today, but they're all about figuring things out organically and the way they do that is very rewarding. Gothic II is a more complete and better designed game overall with a better pace to its power progression but the opening hours of the first game are better than anything in its sequel. The setting is Escape from New York but with Orcs and Wizards, and you climb your way from the bottom to the top of the power and social hierarchies over time

If you've played stuff like Elex you probably should try this

---

This reminds me I was in chapter 2 of the fan mod prequel to this, was having fun with it but man is it way too slow paced, needed to cut some stuff from it IMO. This is the mod

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467450/The_Chronicles_Of_Myrtana_Archolos/

• 3 weeks later...

Mario voice actor Charles Martinet is retiring from role, Nintendo confirms

Mario voice actor Charles Martinet is stepping back from his role as the iconic character, Nintendo has confirmed.

Martinet has provided the voice for Mario since the 1990s, with Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64 being one of his first games in the role, and has played further characters in the Mario universe including Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, and Baby Mario and Luigi.

In a statement on social media, Nintendo said that Martinet will become a Mario Ambassador.

"Charles Martinet has been the original voice of Mario in Nintendo games for a long time, as far back as Super Mario 64," it said. "Charles is now moving into the brand-new role of Mario Ambassador.

"With this transition, he will be stepping back from recording character voices for our games, but he'll continue to travel the world sharing the joy of Mario and interacting with you all!

"It has been an honor working with Charles to help bring Mario to life for so many years and we want to thank and celebrate him.

"Please keep an eye out for a special video message from Shigeru Miyamoto and Charles himself, which we will post at a future date."

Martinet responded to the announcement by posting: "My new adventure begins! You are all Numba One in my heart! #woohoo!!!!!!!"

Hard to know what to say because it's not like he was a great voice actor, or maybe he was, I'm not sure I've ever heard him do anything else. However, whenever anyone does a Mario impression they'll do the Martinet voice, so he certainly made it iconic 

I remember reading that he did the voice of Mario's father in the recent movie, but I never would have noticed because I only know him from the quirky Mario (and Luigi, and Wario etc.) sounds. A quick glance over his imdb page shows that he did indeed take part in a couple of other videogame over the years, including Skyrim, Ratchet & Clank, Kane & Lynch and Skies of Arcadia.

When Nintendo showed the Mario Wonder trailer, some people thought Mario sounded a bit different. I didn't really notice anything, but maybe that's the first game with his successor. If so, he's (?) doing a bang on job IMO.

Edit: seems people were right: https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-confirms-charles-martinet-is-not-involved-in-super-mario-bros-wonder

• 3 weeks later...

Mario vs. DK and Princess Peach Showtime are new, too. The latter looks pretty neat I think.

But if the June Direct wasn't making things clear enough, it's pretty obvious at this point they're not investing heavily into Switch anymore. I'm okay with it though, the other two systems seem to finally get started and I do think Nintendo's choice of remasters is pretty solid so far (if very Mario-focused).

Indeed, didn't catch that. Well, it's all down to Peach and Wario then, the ultimate dream team.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but there's a demo of Silent Hope in the eShop now, that Dungeon Crawler / Cooking hybrid that got announced in June. It's actually decent, but it comes out in October, so, yeah, RIP.