passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

Can see this as a bit of a bargaining chip when it comes to exclusives more than anything else.

and pottential to bolster exclusives further down the line if they want to renag on the deal.

Yeah its not activision but its a move.

I sony are nowhere near the multibillion dollar company MS is and I guess Activision would have likely been a fair way out of reach for them I do think some people ignores Sonys combined wealth accross all its divisions if it really wanted to pay some hefty cash for big devs.

Personally though if I were sony and wanted a new Western Studio on board, I would have gone with CDPR despite the howler of a release that was Cyberpunk, I think its still a more relevant IP today than Destiny, plus witcher could be a big coo for the console.

Ultimately though I would have loved to see Sony fall back on its heritage and go for a couple of big Japanese devs

Sega, Capcom, Squeenix.

Seperate yourself from the competitions and carve a individual identity rather than going directly tit for tat.

I think I'm just a little confused by this since it's like when Bungie was with Activision they carved out a particular deal where they retained rights to Destiny which is very unusual.  I'm not sure quite what is in it for Sony and how much they can mandate them since they are keeping a level of independence.

And they paid a lot for what they're getting.

Just wait and see I guess.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Can see this as a bit of a bargaining chip when it comes to exclusives more than anything else.

and pottential to bolster exclusives further down the line if they want to renag on the deal.

Yeah its not activision but its a move.

I sony are nowhere near the multibillion dollar company MS is and I guess Activision would have likely been a fair way out of reach for them I do think some people ignores Sonys combined wealth accross all its divisions if it really wanted to pay some hefty cash for big devs.

Personally though if I were sony and wanted a new Western Studio on board, I would have gone with CDPR despite the howler of a release that was Cyberpunk, I think its still a more relevant IP today than Destiny, plus witcher could be a big coo for the console.

Ultimately though I would have loved to see Sony fall back on its heritage and go for a couple of big Japanese devs

Sega, Capcom, Squeenix.

Seperate yourself from the competitions and carve a individual identity rather than going directly tit for tat.

It’s definitely a move for sure, and one that can help keep CoD on PS and Destiny on Xbox.

I agree, folks have underestimated them. They are a multibillion dollar company (market cap $151bn) though, it’s just that Microsoft are a trillion dollar company (market cap $2.299Tn). So while it’s definitely true someone like Acti-Blizzard was out of reach (the same probably for the likes of EA) for them, they’ve still got $30bn in the bank for acquisitions like this. The likes of Sega, TakeTwo, Square, CAPCOM and Ubisoft aren’t out of reach.

I will say as well, this wasn’t some reactionary move to Microsoft’s Acti-Blizzard acquisition, it’s been in the works for months but has worked out surprisingly well considering the recent news. 

Also, I’m calling utter bollocks @OCH that you haven’t heard of Bungie. I don’t believe it for a second.

13 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I will say as well, this wasn’t some reactionary move to Microsoft’s Acti-Blizzard acquisition, it’s been in the works for months

😲....

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

I think I'm just a little confused by this since it's like when Bungie was with Activision they carved out a particular deal where they retained rights to Destiny which is very unusual.  I'm not sure quite what is in it for Sony and how much they can mandate them since they are keeping a level of independence.

And they paid a lot for what they're getting.

Just wait and see I guess.

yeah that was my first thought, I just assumed they'd remain independent forever. It'll be interesting to see what they do beyond Destiny, it does sound like Sony want a big service game on everything, which is smart I suppose, income outside of Playstation 

Actually konami or their game catalogue could be a sound investment. 

All those dormant wasted franchises, from a dev most people couldn't currently give 2 shits over. 

Could win them loads of kudos, and put some faith back in a loved name. 

And cobine that with kojima productions at the same time. 

Now there is a winning combo. 

Konami definitely need acquiring, just wasting their IP library at the moment. 

Considering Microsoft's buying of publishers for $77Bn combined, I think they're the Terminator in that meme lol. I do think From, Kojima and Square would be a good fit for Sony and I believe there's some Japanese law about only JPN companies being able to buy JPN companies? So I think they wouldn't really be able to be bought by anyone else. 

I think that's why we see 'partnerships' like Platinum's with Tencent rather than acquisitions, as Tencent are Chinese. I may be wrong though, I'm no expert on Japanese company law.

I would of thought companies with prestige or important titles like Metal Gear, like a SoulsBourne, and whatever Kojima's crazy ass is doing would make a lot of sense for Sony, and what I would want to see from Sony. I think the way Nintendo have cornered the console market on kid friendly, cartoon games Sony have cornered the console market on high quality, cutting edge, held in high esteem games and this is what I want to see. I like what they do. 

I want companies to war but I want them to war based on their own strengths. Lets not have another 360/PS3 generation where the box barely mattered because everyone was doing the same shit. Lets have a console war where each offering is unique and has identity. 

So the Bungie buy is weird to me and I'm not that excited about it. Sure Sony will want to do new stuff and expand what they do. So I get that. But Bungie doesn't really fit with what I think Sony's main appeal is. Maybe together they'll produce a mind blowing game but at face value I'm like eh. If Bungie isn't going to make them an extraordinary single player shooter, and they're going to focus on multiplayer, online, MMO shooter shit. Well there's enough of those already, right. 

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Square would be a good fit for Sony

Square would be a horrible fit for Sony as theyre diametrically opposed in how they approach game development. Square is all about the small games that keep them afloat between the big FF titles, like Octopath, Bravely, Triangle Strategy, Dungeon Encounters, Chocobo Racing etc. Sony just wants big game after big game, which would significantly lessen the diversity of SEs output.

Konami would be a good fit maybe, but Konami is a pachinko and health corporation now, with videogames as a little bonus. I doubt any platformer holder would want to buy the entire thing just for three famous IPs, out of which only one could be considered a blockbuster.

As for Bungie, they definitely know how to sell themselves, that's for sure. I dont know if Destiny is still a big thing or not but this might be a lucky strike for Sony to eventually fill the CoD void. 

10 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Square would be a horrible fit for Sony as theyre diametrically opposed in how they approach game development. Square is all about the small games that keep them afloat between the big FF titles, like Octopath, Bravely, Triangle Strategy, Dungeon Encounters, Chocobo Racing etc. Sony just wants big game after big game, which would significantly lessen the diversity of SEs output.

I don't think Sony does want big game after big game actually. They invest/partner with plenty of smaller devs with smaller games, just this month Sifu is coming out for example. Dreams, Astro, Sackboy, Predator, Iron Man VR all came out in 2020.

It's all theoretical obviously, but I think Sony would keep all Square's smaller titles going, particularly if their rumoured Game Pass competitor (Spartacus) comes out. Those smaller games will be a nice content stream for a subscription service.