passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Been watching the new series of Frasier and it is better than it has any right being. They play it a bit broad, it feels a lot like a Big Bang Theory kind of sitcom with Frasier in it, especially with the literal Sheldon rip off that is Niles' son. But it still sort of comes together quite well I think despite some teething issues in charactertisation.

The way they do it is reverse the setup for the original show, Frasier is going to live with his son who is a salt of the earth kinda guy like his grandad Marty. It's surprisingly emotional stuff the way they connect back to that stuff, and that sort of makes up for the broadness of its comedy a bit. Dave is also quite good in it. Nowhere as good a secondary comedy protagonist as Niles was but a lot better than you would expect going in

Not sure if I'd be in for the long haul necessarily but it surpasses my expectations and it doesn't feel like Kelsey Grammer missed a beat playing this character 20 years later. One for the longtime fans only though, I think (currently rewatching S1 of the 90s show as well)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still Up on Apple TV was a good watch until it abruptly ended after episode 8 about 15 minutes before reaching a nice conclusion. It’s about a guy who can never sleep and has anxiety about leaving his flat and a woman who also has sleeping problems who is in a relationship she’s not happy about. 

So they call one another and daft things happen to each that they both try to help each other with. It’s a comedy with heart. They grow fond of each other blah blah. But it finishes just shy of being satisfying and I’d be surprised if there’s ever another season. 7/10

Squid Game: The Challenge. Honestly I think it’s a bit crap. Bunch of strangers know each other for a couple of days and spend ages crying over losing new ‘friends’.  Like, they know there can be only one winner but they act like they can all win 🥴 it’s a 7/10 from me.

On 09/12/2023 at 02:12, mmmark said:

Squid Game: The Challenge. Honestly I think it’s a bit crap. Bunch of strangers know each other for a couple of days and spend ages crying over losing new ‘friends’.  Like, they know there can be only one winner but they act like they can all win 🥴 it’s a 7/10 from me.

7/10 is pushing it 😅

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching Reacher today, not read any of the books before. But it’s certainly off to a strong start. 

Haven’t watched Squid Game: The Challenge yet, doubt I’ll bother. The original Netflix series was pretty decent. But I saw an article for The Challenge, where people complained about getting hurt. And it made me think “What did you expect? It’s hardly Pat Sharp’s Fun House”. 

From - think someone mentioned this on here a while ago, I searched but couldn't find it though.

Anyway just finished the first 2 series, 2x 10 ep, and really quite enjoyed it.

It's a weird horror drama, where people are stuck in a small town, and get hunted in the night - and as the episodes evolve they reveal more about how the inhabitants have adapted and cope, and what they are doing to understand the bizarre situation they are in, and the background of those around them.

Main "star" name is Harold Perrineau - excellent as the 'sheriff', and the rest of the cast are terrific too.

It's pretty creepy at times, and slowly reveals itself, but is now hanging on a third series (been renewed, due sometime in 2024).

On 27/12/2023 at 11:44, shinymcshine said:

From - think someone mentioned this on here a while ago, I searched but couldn't find it though.

Anyway just finished the first 2 series, 2x 10 ep, and really quite enjoyed it.

It's a weird horror drama, where people are stuck in a small town, and get hunted in the night - and as the episodes evolve they reveal more about how the inhabitants have adapted and cope, and what they are doing to understand the bizarre situation they are in, and the background of those around them.

Main "star" name is Harold Perrineau - excellent as the 'sheriff', and the rest of the cast are terrific too.

It's pretty creepy at times, and slowly reveals itself, but is now hanging on a third series (been renewed, due sometime in 2024).

that was me

I think I'd like them to be told that the 3rd series was the final one, but then be given a longer run for it. It's hard to know if they actually have an end, but I'd like them to get to one

Watched the first two of four episodes of All the Light we cannot see on Netflix. Takes place in WWII and it's about a blind girl in an occupied French village broadcasting a mix of personal and coded messages over radio and a German soldier trying to hide the fact that he knows about it. I expected something a bit subtle due to the subject matter and the trailer, but it's very much a Hollywood movie split into four parts, with the Nazis being portrayed in an almost cartoonish over-the-top manner that unfortunately sucks out a lot of tension from certain scenes because they are just borderline unbelievable.

It's not bad, but it's also not particularly good. I'll watch the remaining episodes to see it through but unless it does a 180 it'll probably be not very memorable despite some high production values and a decent cast. Case in point, both the adult and young versions of the girl are being played by actors who are legally blind, which I think is pretty cool (the fact they got cast, not that they're blind of course).