passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Oh my god their sales pitch on Xbox is a shit show. Sarah(?) is actually says “one of the great things about investing in Xbox is you know you’re investing in a place where you can make games more successful”

Oh my god you’re not talking to shareholders or investors. You’re talking to fans and customers. They shouldn’t care about making games better, they should expect you give them better games. That’s what they pay you for

Good points - Gamepass isn’t changing. 

Bad points. Everything else

This is what I was interested in is what is the pitch for buying an Xbox. It appears to be Gamepass because it’s the only thing they’ve got which is good. And even then it’s better on PC (Maybe not the app, but the games play better depending on hardware so it’s better on PC)

This crazy. They’ve dropped the ball so hard.

EDIT: They keep banging on about crossplay; imagine that one of your strongest selling points for your console is you can play somewhere else lol 

DOUBLE EDIT: This video is kind of a goldmine of bullshit I sort of love it in a depraved and sick kind of way 

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

Oh my god you’re not talking to shareholders or investors. You’re talking to fans and customers.

It’s called update on the Xbox business. Not calm down nerds on the future of Xbox. 

3 minutes ago, mmmark said:

It’s called update on the Xbox business. Not calm down nerds on the future of Xbox. 

Then why is it an expedited podcast and not a zoom meeting 

11 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Crossplay is actually a cool benefit tbh. Would be great if Sony did that as well

It is, but as a top line sales pitch for your console? I wonder how often it’s used. I sometimes use it when playing a Gamepass game on Xbox and want to move to PC, or whichever. But it means it gets used once per game, sometimes

Maybe I’m too old but if someone asks “why should I buy this console” and the first answer isn’t “because look at these sick ass games” is a problem

I’ve said before but I feel like Sony has focused on giving the player a premium, high end game experience and Xbox has focused on hey, it’s an all you can eat buffet. But it’s gone really wrong in my eyes that that’s gone from their best reason to exist to only reason to exist. All you can eat! And you can also eat it over there as well

I’m sorry for suffocating the thread I’m going on break 

Trying to calm irrational fears that their big exclusives will be going to playstation. 

There was a lot of twist in their phrasing of xbox vision and this being where they always wanted to be. 

If that was the case you wouldnt have been fighting in court so damn hard to get acti-blizzard deal through. And pushing back against sony opposition. 

That being said the way they are currently taking it makes sense, and I would bet a very similar situation happening at Sony to get  more mid tier titles on other platforms. 

I mean i think can safely assume titles are going to be on the calibur of hifi rush.  Not system sellers but a game MS can get a bit more revenue from in sales, while the xbox version remains on gamepass. 

The other suspission i had for a while as well as many others is that MS wants in on the Steam deck market. 

And this presentation doubles down on that to me the question is will they put out their own portable pc? 

Or will live get on Steam deck? 

I think the former, and would be interested in how commited they are to this vision if they do? 

Would they put steam on a first party hard ware,  its never made its way to xbox. 

Simarly I couldnt imagine valve being enamored with them getting in on the market if it doesnt gave some form of platform / store / service sharing. 

Worst case could see valve get very cosy with sony as a warning. 

Just ramblung thoughts as I type. 

But i do wonder with a title like hifi rush how many ps owners already played it on PC, and how much of a crossover there is for their vision of missed gamers in the PS / Switch sector. 

Crossplay is a good feature because it mitigates this whole thing of 'sunk cost'. Mary talked about it in his comment, knowing that there's future hardware lessens the worry of 'investing' in it. But crossplay between xbox and PC, meaning your library follows you around, that's just a cool thing to have. 

When I buy a game on PS5, I think of all the PS1 classics I bought on PS3 that are now useless. The useless PS3 games as well, they will probably be joined by useless PS4 and PS5 games. If they also had crossplay with PC, I might be more inclined to buy on PSN.

I just can't stand this nonsense the console holders have of shutting down their old stores. It's becoming more and more normalised and I think people just accept it cause backwards compatibility comes and goes. But it's horseshit

Agree with the above. Post original PS3 sony have just been anti back compat and just want to sell you tbe game over and over along with many third oarty devs, or use them as bait to lure you into higher tiers ps service. 

Really belive Kutaragi got a bad rap with ps3 due to its price. It was at least focussed on delivering compatability over all their home consoles. 

Something not seen sinse. 

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

just can't stand this nonsense the console holders have of shutting down their old stores. It's becoming more and more normalised and I think people just accept it cause backwards compatibility comes and goes. But it's horseshit

This stuff I can’t agree with more strongly. It’s one of the reasons I switched to Xbox around the One X time of last gen. They seemed to be making a real effort with BC and saying how you’ll have your games going forward. And Phil has basically reinforced that when he says losing last gen was the worst because that’s when people built up their permanent digital libraries - which to me says they’re going to keep your games going with you for as long as there is an Xbox so that’s where I started buying my games. Remember this was when Sony were very ‘we believe in generations’ and seemed like they weren’t doing BC at all - I still don’t think they would have if MS hadn’t pushed it so hard. 

The fact people are even considering the fact Nintendo may not have BC on Switch 2 is fucking laughable. Times have changed and if they don’t bring your previous Switch library forward they should fail as a company. That would be fucking disgusting. I don’t think it would actually hurt them because people are too willing to bend over for companies these days but it would be such a punch to the face and so anti consumer that it should sink them. 

Its not like before either, the changes between gens is getting so much smaller and we’re reaching a limit of what’s possible it’s not like games from 15+ years ago feel and look almost unplayable anymore.  They’re still like modern games. 

I wish I could change to PC for more security with this stuff but I just don’t like using them. Bad PC ports seems to be a common issue again over the last 2-3 years too. 

For what it's worth that still seems to be a focus for MS going forward. Phil mentioned Windows and how you can, technically, run a lot of ancient stuff on newer OS versions, so between the lines I hope this means that whatever comes after Series XS will be compatible with everything that runs on Series XS at that point in time. Of course how impactful it will still be with digital licenses running out left and right and the next system most likely not having a disc drive remains to be seen, but even with those limitations in mind it's (sadly) still miles ahead of what the competition is doing.

You know the video was pure corporate damage control fluff because last night I thought parts of it were interesting, but today I’m realising I don’t think I learned anything

It’s expert nonsense in that way. Top marks, congrats, Xbox 

MS are porting 4 of their exclusives to other platforms, not committing to more than that but not necessarily saying they won't either. People are reading the tea leaves on it being a boiling the frog situation, with them slowly drifting towards being more of a service provider/third party like Sega

I was just about to post this.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/16/24074729/microsoft-phil-spencer-xbox-everywhere-memo

Even though it's getting framed as being like the death of Xbox or whatever, I would really like to see less friction between platforms as described here

On the cross play stuff, I was thinking about this while watching the podcast (via Vinny from Nextlander playing Cyberpunk). The difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Sony don't have their own PC store, and maybe never will. You get Xbox games because of the Microsoft store on pc, Xbox is an app there. You don't get a Steam key when you buy an MS game on Xbox. It's good that they do it, but I don't think they could get away with not doing it 

It would be nice to have the option of saves across everything, all games on all platforms. That's where we should get to 

On the multi platform stuff, it's what I think most of us expected, suitably vague that they can do more if they want in future. I half suspect that we might see some bigger titles in the next couple of years if Microsoft's numbers don't improve. As much as they bigged it up, people aren't paying for GP to play streamed on their phone. They might use it as a perk I guess, but that's no ones primary way to play games 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

It would be nice to have the option of saves across everything, all games on all platforms. That's where we should get to 

That would be the ideal outcome. Buy the game once and it’s everywhere so you can play where you want. With a saves etc. going across all kind of like how the Xbox system works currently. 

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Not sure that disproves Dangerman's point. They've also changed the phrasing of it so that Xbox Live Gold is now 'Gamepass core' (which entitles you to a fairly paltry selection of games, but is needed to play games online)

Point was highest growth segments include cloud... that could quite easily include phones/tablets.

It's cool that Xbox does it, but like Smart Delivery cross anything is an opt-in thing from developer/publisher. Here is what GP looks like on PC with no filter and with cross save filter

image.png

image.png

Very different. So even though it's cool, it's not like it's a universal thing. Although of course I expect it is with all Xbox first party games. What's it like on Steam vs Steamdeck?

Not only is it not a guaranteed feature for your game, my expereince is it's not even a feature that gets used that much. 

It's not that cross system stuff isn't cool, but it isn't in a position to be touted as a top feature imo

If they ever make a portable Steamdeck style Xbox thing like the rumours say, then that changes things because you could use it on the go. A situation where I think cross system features would matter