passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

one-armed dwarf

29 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Wow, you really can't install more than like, 6 games on a PS5 can you

Yeah, 5 or 6 is probably the sweet spot. 

3 hours ago, Nag said:

Pre-load is up for those interested.👍

Can you pre-load this even if you have the physical version coming, or is it still separate files and not a thing you can do on PlayStation?

15 minutes ago, retroed said:

Can you pre-load this even if you have the physical version coming, or is it still separate files and not a thing you can do on PlayStation?

Not sure if that's still an Xbox thing only or not... I'm digital so can't test.

No reason Sony couldn’t let you install the digital version and make the disc act as a key too. Like it does once the data from the disc has been copied over to the console. It’s such a great feature it’s really annoying the PS5 doesn’t have it. 

36 minutes ago, mfnick said:

No reason Sony couldn’t let you install the digital version and make the disc act as a key too. Like it does once the data from the disc has been copied over to the console. It’s such a great feature it’s really annoying the PS5 doesn’t have it. 

I'm just glad saves work between physical and digital now, that wasn't always the case iirc 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bit of a thread on atm about sales of AAA games and layoffs, fwiw it's looking like Rebirth might be one of the worst selling Final Fantasies in a long time in Japan in particular. It sold around 260k copies launch week and around 25k week 2, which is less than XVI did (which was apparently a disappointment for Square iirc)

The other thing though is it's apparently the second best selling PS5 game in Japan in its launch period, which certainly doesn't make the PS look like it's doing very well when it comes to selling software. But beyond that, it makes you wonder if Square have a different perspective now on turning a nearly 30 year old game into a trilogy of installments. Or is Final Fantasy just a series for old people at this point.

imo, it feels partly like a belated impact from a lot of FFs which failed to really excite people, going all the way back to FFXIII. People make fun of FF people constantly fighting about the modern ones not being good, but at least those people/we show up to every installment. While at the same time it's not really conducive to growing a younger audience. Sad thing is though that Rebirth is the highest quality they've hit in decades imo, it's an outstanding release by them but if people aren't interested then it's hard to do much about it

Years ago I remember people saying the main trend in Japan was handheld, social and mobile games, though. So though it had a big week 2 drop, that just might be because of the trends and gaming habits over there. If those trends/habits are still the thing, I dunno. 

But there has to be a reason why studios like Sony have shifted so much development west and closed JPN studios, etc. It must be this side of the business just doesn't fit in that culture. 

To be clear, I'm not trying to talk like I'm in the know, just speculation based on what I've heard from podcasts and video game stuff in the past 

I'd be willing to put a big bet on there being Switch 2 versions of the FFVIIR trilogy.  I'm sure it'll be a headache of a port but it seems like it'd be the only way to get good numbers in Japan.

Single format releases are always painful on sales. I saw an article saying that sales this week have been dramatically down. I’d guess that’s because anyone that’s interested in the game will have bought it day one, I know I did. 

Maf is right, Japan does seem to be mad on mobile games, when most of the rest of the world can no longer be arsed with them. 

Rebirth is a bloody good game. But has it appealed to many other than the old school FF7 fans? Possibly not.

Wasn't there a recent report that Sony bought console exclusivity for the entire Remake trilogy? That has to have been a massive payout to secure those rights and I wonder if SE regrets it at this point. Anecdotal, but I have played neither Remake nor Rebirth because they're both locked on Playstation, but would absolutely have bought them if they had appeared on a system that's sitting under my TV.

But as others have mentioned, I think there's a bit more to it, too. Looking at the state of the IP, I wonder if it maybe suffers a bit from the Star-Wars-effect in that FF has failed to grow popular throughout generations and only really stayed relevant for boomers and millennials. If you grew up during the PS3 or PS4 era, did you really get a chance to develop fond memories of this series through FFXIII and FFXV? And was XVI good enough to make you jump in?

I forgot about that Sony deal for a moment there.

I think younger folk probably just think of FF as that MMO for the most part, maybe?  And those who got into FF through XIII or XV are a rarer bunch compared to older and younger millennials who got into it through VII and X.

But the global numbers must still be pretty good.  It's been proven a lot that Japan isn't as interested in console games that aren't on the Switch anymore.