passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid: Dread

mmmark

I can't believe it. This is basically the Half-Life 3 of the Nintendo world. I'm not even too big of a fan of the art style and it could look a bit better (Mercurysteam is usually very proficient in that regard) but who cares.

I like how they try to take SA-X and go further with the idea. The Alien influence is now coming full circle with an immortal enemy roaming the map and Samus having to avoid them. Now of course this could turn out annoying like in RE2 Remake or just make this super tense like Alien: Isolation. In any case it's an interesting idea that should work well in tandem with the backtracking of a Metroid game.

I want this now.

I’ve never heard of this but it looks awesome. Is it a sequel to Fusion? Samus had a Fusion-esq suit and the concept of unkillable thing chasing you is like that as well. Plus they seem to be focusing on the horror tension again.

Love it. October, too? Yes, yes, yes

Fusion is my favourite 2D Metroid game (I like Super but the controls are hard work) so I’m hyped that’s good. Wish it looked a little sharper but there’s still time, I guess. 

11 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like they've been talking about it with this name and all and this specific scenario?

Maybe whatever genie gave people this wish can have a talk to Square about making Chrono Break

Announced as a 2D side-scroller for the Nintendo DS in the summer of 2005, Metroid Dread was to follow the events of Metroid Fusion and was originally slated for November of 2006. On February 2006, the British Official Nintendo Magazine included Metroid Dread in their “Official Release Dates,” listed under November 2006 as “to be confirmed.” 

https://leviathyn.com/74911/monday-mysteries-project-s-t-e-m-metroid-dread/

There was even an easter egg hinting at it in Metroid Prime 3.

They didn't go into detail about the scenario and gameplay elements at the time of course (this is still Nintendo we're talking about) but Sakamoto basically confirmed today that it was planned to be this game since the beginning.

I want this too...

I think we're all still reeling from the announcement of Metroid Dread just moments ago, but Nintendo isn't waiting to capitalize on that excitement. Shortly after the game was revealed during today's Nintendo Direct, the official Nintendo of America Twitter account announced that an amazing-looking collector's edition will be released alongside the game in October.

While possibly not the most elaborate of packages, this collector's edition will come with an exclusive steelbook case, an artbook of Dread, and five different cards that span the 2D saga. That could possibly be hinting at the 2D Metroid games taking place in their own timeline, but I think it's just an homage to Dread being 2.5D.

It's surprising to see Nintendo resurrect Metroid Dread, a title that was originally meant to release on the DS almost a decade ago. Fans had long given up hope that Samus would return to her roots, but it seems Nintendo isn't done with the franchise just yet. That's evidenced by a collector's edition like this, which is practically farming nostalgia from fans. I'm particularly impressed with those art cards, which look to be recreations of the box art from each of Metroid's past 2D titles.

There are currently no links available for pre-ordering this bundle, but the likely candidates are bound to have it (i.e. GameStop, Best Buy, Amazon). With everything contained and Switch games typically going for $60 normally, I imagine this will be between $80-100. That seems reasonable enough, especially since it's not ridiculously overloaded with goodies.

This I can get behind. Love a proper 2D Metroid. The graphical style is very ugly though IMO. It’s got no style at all and just looks bland and shit.

I’m worried the robot thing is going to be constantly around being a annoying fucker like Mr X. Would make sense from the name and how they described it which would really put me off but I’ll remain hopeful for now. Not long. 

12 minutes ago, mfnick said:

The graphical style is very ugly though IMO. It’s got no style at all and just looks bland and shit.

At first I thought so too but it has since grown on me (in, like, the last hour or so it seems).

They're also using film grain which I usually find dumb in a videogame but it kind of works here. You can't see that in compressed youtube videos but check out the screenshot on the eShop, IMO it looks really nice there.

The backgrounds look more fantasy than I expect from a Metroid title and the antagonistic robot could come have wandered from a Mass Effect game and got lost but it looks like they've just shown one area but I'm just happy they're still up for making 2D Metroids.

All in all it it's a cool announcement.  I am fond of this design of Samus.