passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

DisturbedSwan

It's nice that Tiny Tim will be happy but that really wasn't my point. I was just saying why baseline specs matter and may affect things when designing next gen games.

I mean I am sitting here playing an ancient russian game with Half Life graphics right now, I'm not someone who insists on games always looking splendid lol. But it's nice to see barriers get broke by new gens so that's why I mention it

Tiny Tim? You crazy mixed up kid.

Your point us valid, of course. But so is the Microsoft business plan. Graphical fidelity is not the be all and end all. The masses want ease of access, just like when the record industry (my industry, as it happens) were pushing for ever higher sample rates in digital recordings just as the whole world started listening to mp3s.

But I still can't see why the existence of the S will be such a bug bear for graphical fidelity.  Performance scaling is already here, in marvellous variety, even before a single next gen console has hit the streets, it seems to me.

I just don’t see the point in the XSS, I just don’t want to play games in 900p, it’s 2020. 900p should be resigned to the history books.

XSS holds back games, it’s not rocket science. Even Father Phil said recently that ‘it’s more work for devs’. It’s why I worry about Xbox exclusives going forward, even when they drop the XB1 they’ll still be beholden to XSS.

Well, not always. Okami still looks good while Mario 64 feels a bit dated. 

Also I don't think that's part of anyone's reasoning. Of course there will be good games on Series S but the question remains if it's really a necessary product due to all the problems it brings with it (more work for developers, holding back multiplatform and Xbox exclusive games etc.).

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise this was the AC topic, I only read the last couple of comments.

5 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise this was the AC topic, I only read the last couple of comments.

Maybe it's time to have a discussion about the S in a dedicated thread. Forumites seem to have concerns, even about the console's very need to exist.

Ubisoft PR via ResetEra user Theorry: Assassin's Creed Valhalla had double the amount of players on launch day that Assassin's Creed Odyssey had

Today, Ubisoft® announced exceptional player activity for Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla, the latest iteration of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, released on November 10. The number of active players on launch day for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla doubled that of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, a trend that is expected to continue as sales of the new generation of consoles increase.

A testament to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla delivering on players’ expectations for its fascinating world and immersive narrative, the game has reached high levels of viewership and engagement on Twitch and YouTube that surpass any Ubisoft game launch to date.

“We are humbled by the reception from the players and extremely proud of what our teams have accomplished with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, which builds on the amazing success of its predecessors,” said Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft co-founder and CEO.

“In the context of COVID-19, shipping Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on no less than seven platforms is an incredible achievement for all of the teams involved around the world. We are excited to greet players on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 with a game that unleashes the power of the new hardware. This paves the way for an exciting holiday, with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla set to be one of this season’s biggest hits.”

• 1 month later...

XP booster MTX added a few weeks after release and all reviews and initial impressions are up. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-17-one-month-after-launch-assassins-creed-valhalla-has-started-selling-xp-boosts

Regardless of whether the you’ll need it in the game or not (by sound of it the levelling in this is better than Odyssey was) this is really fucking wanky behaviour. 

There’s surely no need for it to be that expensive too. Really great, full fat indie games can be bought for less. 

To be honest, you level up pretty quickly In Valhalla, especially compared to Odyssey. Once you get to England, there is always an area that’s well within your level capability. By the time you’ve done that area, and done a fair few side missions, you’re well ready to take on another area. 

It wasn’t until the end game where a massive level expectation spike kicked in. 

There’s absolutely no need to buy an XP booster, as other than the end game, I got along just fine.

On 17/12/2020 at 18:10, one-armed dwarf said:

According to Blakey the levelling is actually worse.

I think I got this wrong to be honest, it actually seems much faster now I've gotten further into the game.

I'll put a post in the Games thread about it.