passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I finished it. In the second hour there’s some pretty good parts. Some of these fight scenes in particular are excellent. More of that, please. 

But the dialogue is so cringey, the story telling feels really outdated and despite Alita looking great most of the time, I just don’t think the girl sold it. The dialogue being bad is one thing but I was never convinced about her except when she’s not talking. When she fights, though, wow. Loved it.

I would both like to see a sequel because I think this could be really good but also wouldn’t watch this again because this one is not

Last night I watched John Wick 3 and Detective Pikachu.

JW3 was...undecided? Act 1 was more of the same, act 2 felt like a - not entirely - but almost pointless side quest, and then act 3 was kind of amazing not only for the action but also introduced a slapstick dimension to the fighting which I really enjoyed, and then it ended on a really odd note. I don’t know. If Chapter 2 struggles to get going then chapter 3 struggles to stay on track. 

And Detective Pikachu I quite enjoyed. All of the main parts like story, logic, dialogue driven jokes were not great but honestly it just became a 2 hour ride of name the Pokemon. And all the fan service stuff was amazing, I love all the references and I love the Pokemon designs. When that first trailer came out I was weirded out by it but now I love them they are amazing. They still look a bit odd in a live action environment, and the film has odd sensibilities where they make pretty direct sex and cocaine references but replace pubs with a coffee house. 

My two favourite parts were the Mr Mime scene and when that girls says “I make top 10 listicles of the cutest Pokemon. What is the point?! They’re all cute!”

Also the way they treat the Pokemon are perfect. I love that the cops Snubull never goes angry but is always on the edge of being angry. Very good usage of Pokemon in the movie (Except how they use them in the main plot but for references it was great)

16 hours ago, Maf said:

Rented Alita Battle Angel for £1.99. Glad I didn’t pay any more for it, this film feels like it’s from 20 years ago

At least 20 years ago you would have had to sit through it instead of posting in a forum midway through the movie.?

I liked it. It's a fairly competent fusion of the three first arcs of the manga and while that might result in Alita becoming the rebellious warrior a bit too quickly I think it was the right way to do this for a blockbuster movie. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the "americanisation" of everything, Daisuke becoming Dyson hurts my soul. That and the ending was a bit weird because it looks like it wants to move far away from the source material but then again FOX being Disney now they probably won't produce a sequel anyway.

I’m watching Aliens for the first time. I fell asleep until the 50 minute mark where they found the girl, and there’s about 40 minutes left. I can’t tell if these characters are intentionally stereotypical or at the time this wasn’t stereotypical but meaningfully stupid or not I really want most of them to never say anything ever again. 

Also I can’t tell if it’s the style or what but Signourney is a horrible actress. 

I can imagine falling asleep during Alien. Not that the film is boring but there are a lot of deliberately slow paced and quiet scenes, before the Chest Burster scene kicks the film into high gear. I don't recall the pace of Aliens ever really relenting in that way? Granted I haven't seen it in a decade or two...

Film over. It’s all right. The less characters there are the better. By the time it’s just Ripley and Newt the film found it’s spot. Although Ripley is boring as shit it’s better than being annoying as shit. 

I think the first film is much better. In that the Alien feels like a threat in this they are mostly canon fodder and it’s like why is everyone freaking out. All you do is shoot a few bullets in their general direction and they explode and fly through the air like rag dolls. 

I didn’t really understand a lot of the film, though. Every time I looked away for like a minute and looked back something wildly different was happening. Also how the fuck was that guy ripped in half at the end and still alive like what. 

I also couldn’t help be distracted by the fact that Burke is played by the same guy who is in Mad About You. Every time he popped up I was like well these things are very different.

I get why Dad’s Army were losing it on first contact but once they build them selves a base it’s like chill out guys. 

I understood it from a general sense. Get out of here, nuke it from orbit. But there were times when I would look away for like 30-45 seconds and it felt like the scenarios had radically changed. 

I still don’t get if it’s generic on purpose or just everything else has taken from this film so heavily that when you watch it after 30 years of seeing everything else it just feels generic, or if it is slightly parody-ish on purpose. I don’t know.