passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Thats better! I absolutely loved it. Great, funny, violent fun. The way they managed Kano in this was just perfect too. A lot of the acting was pretty bad but who cares? Added to the enjoyable charm. 

Monsters of Man

Well, next time I'll double-check with imdb because the ratings on the MS Store were quite favourable but the 5.something on imdb are very much closer to the truth.

The premise isn't too bad, even though it has some logical flaws to it: the military drops some highly advanced robots in the jungle to complete a "field test", i.e. killing a bunch of drug smugglers. But during the operation they realise there are outsiders passing through as well so they want to hunt those down with the robots to get rid of eye witnesses. What follows is the same man vs. machine scene three times in a row and the same "we have to get our connection up again" scene from the side of the robot operators, you guessed it, also three times in a row.

The robots in general are rather menacing and well executed but everything else is lackluster. Death scenes have no impact because characters are one-notes and most of them flat-out annoying and there's such a dumb and cheesy scene on AI learning towards the end that I just had to roll my eyes. It's also way too long at 130 minutes, this could easily have been a 90 minute thing and probably would have been better for it.

I watched Fear Street 1994.  It was okay.  I kept hearing it was a a love letter to things like Scream but I guess some obvious nods are there but it's tone is different.  I'd say it's very much itself.  The Fear Street books are by the author of Goosebumps too but for teenagers who start to think they're growing out of them and want something with more stakes to the horror.  But the characters and the kind of interactions they have is still Goosebumps, just with added violence, one death in particular is pretty gruesome in this I'll give it that.

It relies a lot on the needle drops to sell the time it's set in, but I dunno, a lot of this stuff I've listened to just within the last few months soooo ?

It's really unsubtle too.  They're on a school bus and the jocks are getting excitable while some RAtM plays, the outsider grungy girl protagonist puts on her Walkman and Creep by Radiohead fades in.  Subtlety is for cowards!

I enjoyed it and intrigued enough to check out the parts two and three that are coming out over the next few weeks at least.  

Yea I watched that too. It was ok. I’ll still watch the others, it’s just mindless and easy to watch and I’m ok with that. 

Regarding that death - I take it you mean

Spoiler

the bread slicer one?

Haha that was a really good one. 

Fear Street Part 3.

Easily the worst one of the 3. Not like the first 2 we’re amazing but they were enjoyable enough. This one though. Dull, dull, dull! Especially the first hour, that was painfully boring. There’s a good part about 1.5 hours in where the

Spoiler

killers fight each other

but it only lasts about 1 minute.  

I've become a bit obsessed with Werner Herzog recently and watched a couple of his films over the weekend (was hit hard with post second jab side effects).

First off was Agguire - the Wrath of God. A film i've heard about but never seen. 'Masterpiece' gets banded around a lot when it's mentioned and I can see why. The opening shot alone is one of the most dramatic shots committed to film and the story behind filming and the relationship between director and the lead actor, Klaus Kinski just adds to the whole 'what the fuck' vibe of the film.

This lead to watching 'Mein Leibster Fiend', or my best friend by Herzog, on his relationship with Kinski, who is absolutely, bat-shit insane. The opening shot is of when Kinski did a tour around Germany proclaimming to be Jesus, which he cut short to go and film Agguire. He arrived in Peru still in full Jesus mode and would address everyone as the son of God.

There are so many stories that come out of the filming of the first two films, but a couple that stand out are him firing three shots from a winchester rifle, blindly into a hut occupied by the crew because they made too much noise, and the chief of the indigenous Indian's on the set of Fitzcarraldo offering to kill Kinski as his temper offended them so much.

I've been wondering about it for a while. Villeneuve already came out last year and said the film will probably fail because of it being released on streaming and they might not get to make a second film.

It apparently covers the first part of the book, which is also the only part of the book I read. I guess you could always do a double bill and watch the David Lynch version afterwards lol

On 21/07/2021 at 12:49, Whiskey_chaser said:

This lead to watching 'Mein Leibster Fiend', or my best friend

It's actually "Mein liebster Feind" ("my best/dearest foe"), really odd translation they went with there for the english title.

I've only read about the whole Kinski stuff, I really need to watch these movies at some point. 

We've watched the first two Fear Street films over the last couple of evenings and started the third. As a concept, I think it is pretty sound and I quite like how the story straddles all three, it's a shame they aren't a bit better though. Also, maybe it is explained in 1666 (ha, 666, like the devil, just noticed that) but it seems to set out some rules for the killers (fine, like that) but then doesn't really stick to them.