passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mmmark

This has reminded me I really need to go back and play the first. Only had a couple of goes, loved it but just haven’t gone back for whatever reason. Bet I’ve got a good 3 years before this comes out though, plenty of time. 

If they're just making a sequel it should be quick to develop I think

I dunno, the biggest thing about BOTW for me was how superbly the map was laid out. How the designers invisible hand guided you in that game in such an organic fashion is incredible to me. Much more so than any combat system or mission or dungeon design. They just made a wonderful game about getting lost and climbing mountains.

Conquering the landscape, that's what it so awesome about it. It's Todd Howard's wet dream if he could even manage to implement it half as well in his own games.

But you'd surely need to hit all of Hyrule with a meteor to achieve near the same effect, to have everything feel new again. Even then I don't know really.

Can't delay something without a release date. 

hqdefault.jpg

Spoiler

Please disregard Nintendo delaying things without release dates for the sake of this argument and our hopes and dreams. 

Dungeons would be great. I actually want more different types of weather to give the game more challenge and have to think in new ways on how to tackle stuff this time. 

I like the weapon durability, but again it needs more and I would even want a more robust combat system but not so much that eliminates the strategy in how to deal with enemies. I want dramatic one on one fights but I don’t want to be able to beat a mob with direct offence. One of my favourite moments from BotW was tricking a whole group of horse riding moblins into riding off the cliff in to that canyon where the Gordon is playing Golf

Like Dwarf was saying earlier they need to figure out a new map. The fact that Link and Zelda are going down in to a cave that looks similar to the big crater in Skyward Sword and the corpse kind of looks like Ghirahim and something is happening to the Castle I wonder if the next game takes place in Skyloft and they retcon it that it’s this massive landmass in the sky

Or they are going into reverse world and it takes place in Termina who knows

The problem with my limited imagination is that I can only think of the little things. More of this, more of that. Things I’ve already seen. But the thing that makes BotW so wonderful is the surprise, mystery and curiosity of it all. The hardest job they have on their hands is recapturing that. Which too completely recapture it is impossible but this is the bedrock of the game’s success to me so they definitely need to be thinking very hard about how to either fill this game with completely new stuff or make a significantly different game 

In BOTW one of the most impressive  moments waswatching Death Mountain loom on the horizon, becoming bigger as I would my way around cliffs and valleys to get at it. Gathering supplies for extreme heat along the way. It's like the promise of video games right there, that tangible measure of progress which isn't isolated to a menu or waypoint. It's just fucking there and you just fucking go to it.

What makes it so good is not just the wonder and surprise but how the world itself has this friction to it. Like you are this scavenger and your progress feels earned. Or how all the different weather and physics systems have this clockwork quality, bumping into and affecting each other. It's why I connected with it and not Skyrim. It's why I never minded the brittle weapons and the extreme cold and heat mechanics. Thinking about all this stuff really makes me want to go back and finish it off.

Mostly a sequel needs more of that really clever but simple in execution design that BOTW1 had.

• 2 years later...

Aonuma said this time the adventure “Includes the skies” which does that mean they will touch down on actual Hyrule again? I thought it was going to be all in the air.

Also Aonuma is determined to make people think about Skyward Sword whether they want to or not lol. The remake this year and including heavy elements of it in the BotW sequel. 

It did give off very strong Skyward Sword vibes. I did half expect that bloody bird to swoop down when Link was first freefalling. Granted I didn't like BOTW, the least Zelda a Zelda has ever been. But we'll see if they do better with this one. Zelda has always been a Day One buy series for me. Even the ones I eventually didn't like ala Four Swords, Skyward Sword etc

• mmmark changed the title to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom