passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Nier Automata is always going to be mentioned in a question like this, no bad thing obviously because it's amazing.

And I'm like most, original scores generally don't sink in with me too much after I've actually finished the game.

A ton, but some "recent" ones from the top of my head would be Sayonara Wild Hearts, DK Tropical Freeze, Killer Instinct 2013 (from the same guy who made the Doom soundtrack btw.), Child of Light, Ys VIII etc.

Deep Rock Galactic has great music. It works so well for the instants it's injected to, and while it's not as granular and free flowing to the action as PAYDAY2's sound track, it's still sits right. Probably one of the best games of the last few years, shame so many of you skipped over it or didn't get to experience it the way it should be experienced, with friends mocking the absolute fuck out of each other.

The Messengers music is great, even though I've not played it I've heard it plenty.

Rocket League usually has a couple of new bangers each season.

I regularly hum the camp theme from Full Metal Furies as well.

Each camp has it's own spin on this song.

Sonic Mania is technically music from last gen ?

I'm only half joking I do like the new music for the original parts of the game.  Studiopolis Zone is a bop.

I kind of don't know where to start.  I agree with everything else said that I know of.  There's just so much.  Hades is another recent example.

There's just so many great independent musicians choosing to make their home in video games now.

Like I know Furi isn't the biggest game in the world (it is a cool game tho with another great OST) but it introduced me to Carpenter Brut which have one of my favourite albums in the French electronic music scene.  I totally rate it up there with the best of Daft Punk and Justice.  

There's so much good music in videogames now.

I guess other than Nier then I will always rep very hard the FFXIV soundtrack. Tho I think a lot of the appeal of it comes with context of what's going on when the music is playing. I don't need to post links or anything anyway as I put them all in the music thread on this site. But one I really liked was the boss theme 'To the Edge' in Shadowbringers, which is the final boss of the whole expansion. It was only a couple months ago we learned the composer was actually fighting cancer and isolating from the virus at the same time and it changed that context even more and makes things more emotional. But if you hit up that clip on youtube you won't get the same impact, so I think this is a vital part of what makes video game music hit so different cause of how it's accompanying the work going into the game and the game itself. But maybe that's a weird take, I certainly think it's part of the reason why the NieR games hit so powerfully though

4e9d84d5516e4e89aa026fd22f8220d7ifp1-a02a.jpg

With the year now half over readers discuss the best new games so far, from Mass Effect Legendary Edition to Returnal.

The games had to have been released new this year and we wanted to know how many you’d bought in total and how well you feel publishers have coped with the problems caused by the pandemic.

The most popular titles were Resident Evil Village, Monster Hunter Rise, and Returnal but in general most people seemed to think companies had done well, given the situation, with plenty to look forward to in the second half of the year.

Picture says it all for me, Resident Evil Village... easily.

Returnal.

For me, this is the first "next gen" game I've played. In that respect, although I still haven't finished it. It made a great first impression of what is possible now.

Yeah persona 5 strikers was good, as was hitman 3. And capcom arcade collection because it has progear, but i didnt really play it, played it quite a lot previously on mame. Mushihimesama too but thats had quite a few releases in previous years, first time on console over here though.

I could just say the ME Legendary Edition on the basis of the originals but as I haven't opened it yet and don't plan to that seems a bit like cheating.

So probably either Kaze and the Wild Masks or Outriders. Both not quite GOTY material but really good at what they want to do. We'll see if MH Stories 2 will live up the the first one's standard – if so it'll surely climb to the top spot for me.

sottr_review_screenshot001_online_1536569174-53c1.jpg

Readers discuss what they’d like to see from the sequels to their favourite franchises, from Final Fantasy to The Legend Of Zelda.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by Grackle, who asked what you want to see from the next sequel in your favourite franchise. It doesn’t matter whether the sequel has been announced already but we want to know what you’d do to improve your favourite game.

In almost every case the answer was to go back to basics, with readers worried that too many franchises have lost sight of what they used to be.