passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

They've not updated the question again this week... it's probably Liz Truss fault.... soooooo

151634-games-review-resident-evil-3-remake-image1-o7pjj9ibvz.jpg

Nag says... quick, easy question this week... what one game deserved a sequel but never actually got one?

Alien Isolation nuff said.

A relatively recent one that came to mind, The Order. It gets really good towards the end, sets up a promising looking world, then it ends never to be spoken of again.

I think I'd also say that Thief reboot as I saw it being played the other day. I really enjoyed it, but playing on a good pc at the time it, so the performance issues that killed it with reviewers on console weren't as much of a problem, plus I'm not really a fan of the series, so the changes didn't bother me. It had a really cool atmosphere though, dirty and occasionally really creepy

Eternal Darkness - Really deserved to become a series (🖕 to the fake fans from the failed crowd funding).

Vagrant Story - One of the most uniquely stylised and polished games Square ever made... Then did nothing with it?

Psi-Ops - Stuck in licensing hell, I believe? Which is a real shame.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Quirky, fun and hard as nails. Classic Capcom. I'd say a victim of motion controls falling from favour.

Freedom Fighters - Why IO never came back to this is bizarre? Literally up there with their best Hitman output, at the time.

Could happen. I've heard something about another MGS remake. Twin Snakes should have warned against that, but hey ho. That said, Cyborg Ninja Raiden 2, would be more of an outlier. Given it's turbulent development cycle.

tbh, Dragon's Dogma is more cause of dmc5 than anything, it's partly why they rebooted dmc so that team could go off and do something new. It was itsuno's dream game since before dmc2 even

Which makes you wonder how many other games like this are in a state of 'we want to do it but cant free people up right now'.

This how I know none of you are real Bloodbourne fans because you not say it.

A sequel I would of liked is a sequel to DmC reboot. I really loved that game and it’s my favourite out of all the Devil May Cry games. Much better style.

Even though I’m full on Souls games I think Bloodbourne could do with one more go. It does everything better than regular Souls games except it has the same flaw that the first half is excellent, and then the second half is messy (though still not as messy as Souls games)

Why I think it would be any different if they made a second one I dunno but hope that they would.

Also shout out to Vanquish, Jet Force Gemini and Sonic Chronicles. That was a super cool game and ended on an interesting cliff hanger but I think the chance they ever do another one is a flat 1%

If they do a sequel or prequel it needs to be in an extremely different time period.

Why I'm not that much into it is the multiple layers of mystery in the original game gradually getting unveiled as you go through is part of its appeal (if it is something which appeals to you), and something which wouldn't really work in a continuation. You'd be developing that world out more, but its main theme is the horror of secret knowledge and the Faustian bargain that Yharnam undertake for short term physical enrichments. I think it's hard to walk from that and just go 'oh yeah the same thing happened in this ancient kingdom way back when'. 

Because mystery is such a big part of the lore and aesthetic of those games it's hard to envision a sequel or prequel which does not start with that mystery thoroughly demystified from the get go. Like maybe they just take the trick weapons from Bloodborne and put them in a completely new world and game series, hell put them in Elden Ring II.

I can't think of what I actually want a sequel for but but something like Vanquish being made would be cool, especially in a post Titanfall world I think it could be expanded on in some really fun ways.  It could be a Vanquish sequel but it doesn't have to be.

I could go for a Skies of Arcadia sequel.  Those airship battles could be really cool with current tech.

Yeah vanquish would be cool. Ive struggled to think of stuff, most i can think of already has a sequel.

sunset overdrive

that 3ds kid icarus game - doesnt even need a sequel just remove the second half of each level and re-release it imo.

ketsui

jungle beats

driveclub

edit- although ketsui and jungle beats are some of the best games ever so a sequel would struggle to be better/maybe not needed.