passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I have a lot of respect for The Darkness, especially as it launched during the 'dudebro' generation, but god I hated playing it. Controlling it felt like being underwater and I just kept running in the wrong direction. Maybe one to get back to, it runs on Series X IIRC and maybe that helps to at least pump out a consistent 30fps.

I liked the relationship stuff in Haven, that indie RPG from a few years ago. It's not emotionally loaded or deep but it was nice seeing it not being the endgoal of a quest but the status quo instead.

As for bad examples, as much as I liked the game, but Dragon Age II kind of dropped the ball. Even moreso than other BioWare games of that era it was just a matter of throwing as many compliments towards a party member as quickly as possible to get a janky sex scene. 

Since games have been centering a certain demographic I don't think romance is prioritised a lot.  Even in bioware games it's the sort of romance that you'll find in an action movie.  They're quite superficial and since they're optional there is only so much you can have them as part of a character's motivation and overall plot.

I think Final Fantasy VIII and X are pretty good for having the romance more weaved into the main plot so it feels more meaningful.

But other than those I guess it's more part of dating sims and visual novels.  Maybe when we get the Assassin's Creed looking Jane Austen video game adaptation we'll be in an interesting place.

Money.jpg

Nag says... "What was the first video game you bought with your own hard earned money? Do you remember?"

My brother had a 48k Spectrum, but don't actually recall buying anything for it (in the days of tape to tape copying with other kids in school) so that was just a bunch of blank C15 tapes from Boots or WH Smith.

First actual one I recall buying was around 1986 when my parents bought a new TV & Video from Comet and got a free Tatung Einstein thrown it.

So it was probably Le Mans on the Einstein:

Screenshot_20240421-101837.png

This will make me seem younger than I am👴, but my failing memory tells me the games (I can't remember which was first) I bought with my own dough, for myself, were Sands of time and Resi 4.

This came about because my eldest child wanted a playstation 2 for Christmas one year. Before that I'd had no interest in gaming or even given it a moment's thought.

But now I had to get involved, getting my kid through the hard bits in Ratchet, Spyro, god of war😀 et al.

And I was rather enjoying myself. Next minute I did a bit of research and discovered that there were games, just like movies, intended for adults.

The rest is history 🎮

I dunno what my first game was and figuring out how "earned" my money was with early purchases is vague so if I draw a hard line on a paycheque I'm still not sure.  It could have been anything in around 2002.

I know the first console I bought with my own cash was the Xbox.  The GC and GBA I had during the time were gifts.

I think it was either Pokémon Stadium or F-Zero X. I got both of them at the same day but if I remember correctly my parents didn't want to buy more than one game, so I had to step up. I didn't use 'hard-earned money' though, just pocket money savings.

For consoles it was the GBA. IIRC that came out very far away from any holiday or my birthday and I didn't want to wait.

Tbf by "hard earned" I just mean your own... as in not bought by parents when you were a child, pocket money is fine.🙂

Ah, okay.  New memory unlocked actually.  When I lived with my grandparents there was a "copper box" where they put their loose change and I was allowed to have what's in there.  I bought a few games with it and do have a memory of buying Ridge Racer 4 with bags of silvers.  I'd usually change it at the bank but this time I hadn't.  

Not sure if it's my first but one I remember at least.

Discounting birthday money (£99 for a SNES with LTTP and Mario All-Stars was the main one I remember). I think it was Eternal Darkness? I vaguely recall my brother and I used to pool our pocket money, so a lot of games we bought together. But ED was one I distinctly remember being alone in a shop when I picked it up (based purely on the box).

it would have been an Amstrad game because they were like £3, so maybe Hong Kong Phooey or something, maybe Wrestlemania. I remember asking my mum to buy Viz for us and she just thought it was really funny. It was basically Mario Party except with a buy who had to carry his testicles in a wheelbarrow

For hard earned, I had a paper round, so probably a Mega Drive game 2nd (or 100th) hand from the local videoshop. Then latterly something on the Saturn when I was working as a cleaner while I was at school. I do remember buying Afterburner 2 for the 32X well after christmas, so that must have been with paper round money. Great game too

While it very well may not be the first (there could've been one or two before) this is the one that stands out in memory...

Barbarain_II_cover_art.jpg

I'd just been given my mates Spectrum 48k, the dad of said mate was a regular at Makro where I saw this one Sunday... it kind've stood out for a couple of reasons, tbh I liked the game itself too.

“Hard earned” is a bit of a stretch - I basically saved up pocket money for months and traded in a few games given as gifts previously. 

I just wanted a new game so went to market with my mum and a bunch of games a little bit of pocket money. I bought this because I thought the cover was cool AF even though I knew nothing about it. 

IMG_5447.jpeg

Even as a kid I knew I’d fucked up 10 minutes into playing it. I was so gutted. It was bad. Couldn’t let my mum know though, she’d have killed me wasting money on it like that so had to act like I loved it. 

I've seen that game cover before, never realised how much it looks like Iron Maiden mascot Eddie... that was a lawsuit missed.

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

“Hard earned” is a bit of a stretch - I basically saved up pocket money for months and traded in a few games given as gifts previously. 

I just wanted a new game so went to market with my mum and a bunch of games a little bit of pocket money. I bought this because I thought the cover was cool AF even though I knew nothing about it. 

IMG_5447.jpeg

Even as a kid I knew I’d fucked up 10 minutes into playing it. I was so gutted. It was bad. Couldn’t let my mum know though, she’d have killed me wasting money on it like that so had to act like I loved it. 

That was also a game I bought, except I did quite like Chakan. It's fucking nails though, I definitely didn't get close to finishing it 

In all likelihood it was probably something on Steam, or one of many retro purchases on ebay, neither of which I could narrow down to one game. Something around 2012.

All I know for sure is, I bought my PC in 2015 with my own money, and the first “big” game I remember buying for that is Dark Souls 3. 

The first game I ever played was Fantasy World Dizzy, which I still (very) occasionally play. 

8 hours ago, mfnick said:

I may be misremembering. I should try it again, I’ve not actually played it once. May have just thought it was bad because it was hard. 

I think the general consensus is that I'm wrong tbf 😅