passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

E3 2019 - News & Dates

mmmark

Don't spoil the advertising, people.

I'm being facetious, but this hobby makes me laugh occasionally. It's such consumerist, corporate apologist nonsense it does give me pause sometimes, to wonder what the fuck I'm doing. 

4 hours ago, DifferentClass said:

A leak is a surprise in of itself.  I have no idea why some insist on the reveal being on the publisher's terms.  It's sad. 

Because it's way cooler to hear a familiar tune at the beginning of a trailer you didn't see coming than just randomly stumbling upon the words "new F-Zero announced!" while browsing a forum. As mediocre as it was, Metroid Other M had a great trailer and gave away its identity with the words "any objections, lady?" as a nod to fans before changing gears and making clear it was a Metroid game.

Those few seconds were totally worth it and a leak would have messed it up. There's absolutely nothing sad about that.

I also like some surprises at E3. It's fun to get excited and have this huge burst of information and then feel all tuckered out afterwards because of the fist pumping and aww yissing. Its also nice when i know about something and see more of it. E3 is nice. I like it. 

I just don't think I've ever had a reveal ruined by a leak.  If I do see a leak sourced by someone reliable its not gonna stop my interest in the reveal itself as that's where you'll see something more concrete and detailed, and that's the interesting part.

The times where they just reveal a title card it might as well just be a Tweet as far as I'm concerned.

Leaks are fun, mostly so you can see how accurate or not they were after the fact. Like the Canadian Wallmart leak was spot on last year, bar the lack of Splinter Cell, so there must be an interesting story there.

There’s always leaks, there’s always fake leaks and there’s always total surprises. I think all fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I just don't think I've ever had a reveal ruined by a leak

Yeah ruined would definitely be overselling it. Just a trailer afterall. 

11 minutes ago, Nag said:

I suppose it depends which side you sit on, some people will go out of their way to find every single spoiler they can with a film before they go see it... me personally, I can't fathom that but whatever floats their boat.

I see that as a different thing.  I don't look out for spoilers for films and stuff but I'd rather not see them.  But if I do I'm not so precious about it but I get why people would go out of thier way to avoid it. 

But this is marketing.  I just don't think the hype they concoct is important.  You can still feel excited about things not out yet without towing the markets line.