passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of the Year 2019

DisturbedSwan

I think, generally, it's only me that cares if something is actually an indie game. If something is published by, say, Devolver rather than EA most will let it slide, even though Devolver are a publisher with some fairly large clout now.

If you mean why is there an indie category at all, then it's so some smaller games get mentioned rather than just the big hitters

5 hours ago, Nag said:

Didn't we use to have a "Game most looking forward to" category?

Yeah I believe so. I searched back and that category hasn’t been included since at least 2017, I only started doing the GOTY thread last year so just copied over what categories @Hendo had done for the 2017 thread.

4 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Why is there an indie list? I mean Sayonara Wild Hearts is probably my GotY and yet it's not more or less indie than something like Plague Tale which I've seen appear on the standard list from some people.

Just to highlight them really, an Indie game can go in both the GOTY list and Indie list etc. We don’t police what is or isn’t an Indie game that much anyway so pick whatever you like. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried keeping note of what I've played this year, so this is my current draft, with the other possibilities there in case I change order.

GotY 2019

1: Resident Evil 2

2: Apex Legends

3: Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

4: Slay The Spire

5: Luigi’s Mansion 3

6: Outer Wilds

7: Picross S3

8: Cadence of Hyrule

9: The Outer Worlds

10: Legend of Zelda : Link’s Awakening

Dangerous Driving

Tetris 99

Crackdown 3

Void Bastards

ToeJam & Earl : Back in the Groove!

Blasphemous

What The Golf?

Cricket Through The Ages

Games not from 2019 discovered in 2019

1: What Became of Edith Finch

2: Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

3: Virtua Racing

4: The Surge

5: Strange Brigade

Prey (2017)

Cuphead

Human Fall Flat

GotY 2019

1: DMC 5

2: Judgment

3: RE2

4: Dirt Rally 2.0

5: Days Gone

6: Dangerous Driving

7: River City Girls

8: KH3

9:Ace Combat 7

10: 

Multiplayer

1:  River City Girls

2:  

3: 

4:

5:

1: Fire Pro Wrestling World

2: Donut County

3: Danger Zone 2

4: EDF 4.1

5: 

"Indie" Games of 2019

1: Dangerous Driving

2: River city Girls

3: 

4: 

5:

Updated

GotY 2019

1: BloodStained

2: Control

3: Apex Legends

4: A Plague Tale

5: Box Boy & Box Girl

6: My Friend Pedro

7: Burning Daylight

8: Rage 2

9: Devil May Cry 5

10: Gears 5

on the maybe pile The Takeover if I play more of it and it's good, and a couple of other things that seem like I might like them but either haven't played or not played anything like enough of (Void Bastards, Judgement, Astral Chain, Night Call). Oh, and Resident Evil 2 but I feel like I might have had that spoiled 

Multiplayer

1: Apex Legends

2: Shock Rods

3: 

4:

5:

1: Divinity: Original Sin 2  (my Game of the Year comfortably)

2: Moss

3: Pixel Ripped 1989

4: Sonic Mania Plus

5: Spark the Electric Jester

"Indie" Games of 2019

1: Burning Daylight

2: Bright Memory

3: 198X

4: Sticks and Bones

5:

doubt it counts but I initially had Bloodstained in here

• 1 month later...

I haven't played nearly enough to put anything.  I've by far mostly been playing Warframe and I didn't even discover it in 2019, it was the end of 2018.  Iceborne is the only game I've played that is new which I think is excellent and probably would be top three even if I played everything I wanted to and they were as good as I hoped. 

I could go through the other categories but I don't feel I've played enough of them because 2019 has just been the year of Warframe for me. 

28 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I haven't played nearly enough to put anything.  I've by far mostly been playing Warframe and I didn't even discover it in 2019, it was the end of 2018.  Iceborne is the only game I've played that is new which I think is excellent and probably would be top three even if I played everything I wanted to and they were as good as I hoped. 

I could go through the other categories but I don't feel I've played enough of them because 2019 has just been the year of Warframe for me. 

Similar situation myself, with playing mostly retro games and getting married I have played so few modern games.

Can I stick a vote in for Dicey Dungeons as best game and best indie game?

And suggest if you have not played it yet, you try it.

updated my list. I'm sure I'm missing some great stuff but time's up!  

I did expect Resident Evil to click with me before I finished the list but it just hasn't. I feel a bit bad for Gears, I liked that a lot, but I feel like I had more high points with a few other games, it's level with DMC for me