passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Console Build Quality

illdog

31 minutes ago, retroed said:

Xbox One S and Xbox One X are smaller than a PS4 Pro.

S isn't putting out the power so not so interesting, but it is impressive the X is that small. Taking into account a year on technologically and a larger price point affords a better build it's still nice. The moment that bad boy drops to £350 or less I'll have to have it. Unless Xbox XS is round the corner ?

32 minutes ago, Nag said:

I'm glad someone brought that up who wasn't me...?

Why? ? Facts are facts dude ??

I’ve had problems with the (base) PS4. Spitting out discs was a major problem for a while and I tried everything to fix it, and I’m still not sure how I did fix it, as I tried so many things all at once.

The fan does get very loud and I’ve also had to do some hard resets that had to rebuild the database which meant me crossing my fingers.

Still nothing compared to the build quality of the 360 which also had a loud fan and I went through 2 of them and that feels like a low number, considering all the war stories about them. Fucking thing felt like it would keel over if you breathed in its direction.

So far I’ve been impressed with the Switch, although I am mostly playing it docked so battery life hasn’t been an issue as yet.

The only console I ever had to replace (so far) was my Wii, when it stopped working after a power cut.

The 360 I had a few red lights but never the RROD, I seem to recall it was pretty noisy...

The X must have a whooping great heat sink in it or something. I guess it’s probably cheaper to use bigger fans and smaller heat sinks. 

I’ve only got a PS4 so cant compare but mine is very loud, and again because I play mostly when mini boxy is asleep I can’t crank up the volume or put headphones on. I’ve turned it off in the past because of the noise, it gets too much like noise tourture some times.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm tempted to go to GAME with a bunch of games and my Xbox One S and get a One X ready for RDR2, Forza Horizon 4 and others. There's not really any decent bundles around at the moment, though.

Good point @Nag, but if I trade the stuff in now I might as well grab one sooner. I wonder if there'll be a price drop any time soon.

I've not decided for sure yet anyway, but I'm having a purge of some 3DS, Switch and couple PS4 games and if I trade in the One S as well I wouldn't have to put much cash in.

• 4 months later...

Edit:

Wall of text

TL;DR the xbox one s is nice, and it's quiet, but I don't like the controller..

So, the Xbox One

First, that name is still dumb, the "one"? I'm sure there's some marketing wanketeer who's frothing in their trousers over that... 

The console itself, the one S, it's grand. It looks lovely and it's mostly quiet..

Well, to all intents and  purposes, it *is* quiet... I poked at the settings in Battlefield V, and one of the settings is changing the field of view. Next to this there is a note mentioning that it may impact performance. I cranked the slider to the max and played about an hour of battlefield, and the console is still nice and quiet. The caveat I have to it being quiet, is that after I turn it off, it makes noises like an 80's VHS pondering if it's going to eject a tape. I guess that's a hangover of it being an aggressively modified windows PC.

It takes a long old while to boot. I think I could start up, shut down, then restart up the ps4 before the Xbox stops showing me that lovely green boot screen.

I'm also starting to understand people's comments about how the interface is a bit of a hot mess. It's functional, and I'm sure at some point there was a logical reason to scatter all the bits you need to use all over the place.

That all being said, I think the xbox one S is lovely and I'm glad I bought one

The xbox one controller however

is a fucking travesty

like, if picked it up with a blindfold and had to guess what it was, I would have said that it was a cheap shitty 360 knockoff pad. The plastic it's made from feels like it was carved out of the dashboard of a 90's skoda. My one has a really sharp lower right edge and I can feel it rubbing against the pad of my thumb.

It feels unnervingly light, like when I had a 360, and I swapped from a wireless to a wired pad, and the weight of the batteries missing just left the controller feeling a bit off.

The vibration in the triggers sound like they crammed a pound-land vibrator somewhere inside the trigger housing, and in order to do this miracle of craptitude they had to move the houlder buttons about an inch higher than where my finger wants to bend. If I hold my hand around the hand grips, I physically can't bend my index fingers up to the shoulder buttons. 

The thumbsticks are nicer than the ps4, the knurling around the edge it good, but everything else about the controller is bafflingly mediocre. I'd rather be using a 360 pad.

I really like this gens pads.

That rounded bezel on the triggers are so ergonomic. I really like that there's no holes on the back of the pad as well. The sticks feel much nicer than the PS4 pad, it feels like there's more torsion on the sticks allowing for more precise movement.

Those bumpers though, They are shite. Get used to them collecting gunk as well, whenever I clean my pads the bumpers are generally caked in crap. The rest of the controller stays reasonably clean, but the digital shoulder buttons are a magnet for grime.

This gens pads are both pretty great.

If I had to choose I'd go DS4 but it would be marginal, the XBOne Controllers' bumpers were the bugbear for me for awhile but I think since the launch controller they've managed to make them a little better - less clicky and pronounced - so they're almost even now.

I know this is slightly diverting the topic, but I wish more games would actually use the PS4 touchpad. It's such a nice feature but it's wasted.

The only things I've played that I can remember have used it are GTAV, Warframe and EDF4.1. In GTA you can swap weapons and radio stations, as well as throw equipable explosives by swiping up. Warframe you're frames 4 skills are tied to it so you can swipe in the four directions and get a skill of quick without having to hold the power button to alter the one you want. EDF allows you to pinpoint enemies or places of interest as well as fire out universal communication in game.

I can't help but thing how much nicer Battlefield would be if instead of holding down the spot button and bringing up the commorose and then having to aim at the one you want while everything is tightly packed in because it's meant to be clicked on with a mouse, instead maybe clicking on the four corners to ask for ammo, heals, repairs or whatever you need in a pinch, and then letting you touch and swipe for more complicated communications. It's such a little job coding and graphics wise and it would make playing in teams, especially without mics much easier.

Same with the tilt controls as well. Bloodborne had some hideous tilt controls for using emotes, but aside from the torch shaking in TLoU it's completely forgotten. I'm not saying every last game has to put them in, but simple stuff that's not super important could be put on shaking the pad.

I kind of hope MS and Sony just allow each other to use their competitors pads gimmicks so that the games can be uniform across platforms. Maybe the devs would spend time on making use of them then.