passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Starfield

DisturbedSwan

For what it's worth, DF talked about the review controversy stuff and it's pretty clear they weren't pleased at being thrust into the middle of that conversation. It's still not really clear what let to a withholding of codes for UK outlets but there does not seem to have been an actual proviso to Eurogamer that DF were getting special treatment, rather that they had their own contacts to reach out to (based in the US). 

It's still not a great bit of PR by Bethesda in any event, but more than a bit misinterpreted at least wrt how the whole situation with EG and DF went

Also the vid just has interesting thoughts on the technical design of Starfield, its drawbacks and what it does right (its like 35 mins in for the review chat I think)

On 06/09/2023 at 06:03, mmmark said:

It’s funny that I almost always check my claims before posting but I was so sure Microsoft bought digital foundry a few years back and I had this whole back story apparently completely made up by myself 😆 

With their initial love for the Series S maybe it was just a meme going round? They started as just a weekend piece on Eurogamer iirc then went more independent when they got their own YouTube channel 

I honestly don't mean this as a dig, but I'd love to know the breakdown of GP to sales for that. It feels like you'd be mad to buy it with it being on Game Pass, but it's huge so that's the route I'd have gone (and probably will when it's cheaper) 

I also wonder how far off that 6 million is from what they'd do without GP, I half suspect its not that far off 

It's probably just a personal thing, but gigantic games like these make more sense to me as a purchase than as an 'infinite rental' via Gamepass. I realise some people just are de facto subscribed and for those it doesn't really matter, but for everyone else, who might take a break from it here and there, I think it's a more sensible option to just pay for it upfront and play it at your own pace.

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I honestly don't mean this as a dig, but I'd love to know the breakdown of GP to sales for that. It feels like you'd be mad to buy it with it being on Game Pass, but it's huge so that's the route I'd have gone (and probably will when it's cheaper) 

I also wonder how far off that 6 million is from what they'd do without GP, I half suspect its not that far off 

Yeah same, I would imagine it's something like 80/20 or 90/10, some indication may be gleaned from the UK chart next week hopefully. I know the Premium Upgrade (which was just a code in a box) debuted at no. 6 this week. 

The Steam concurrent users is another good indication, it's all time peak is 216K compared to the likes of BG3 which was at 875K at its all time peak.

10 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

That’s not a dig it’s just counting. It’s no bad thing if it’s 100% gp. I’ll be buying it once it’s cheap in a year or so as I don’t often have gp ultimate. 

Yea if it’s a game I’d love I wouldn’t buy on day 1 since it’s on Game pass but I’d buy it later when it’s on offer. Bought Forza Horizon when it reached £15 for example. You’d be stupid to buy it at full price if you have the sub IMO. Wait for a price drop if you want to own it.  

7 hours ago, mfnick said:

Yea if it’s a game I’d love I wouldn’t buy on day 1 since it’s on Game pass but I’d buy it later when it’s on offer. Bought Forza Horizon when it reached £15 for example. You’d be stupid to buy it at full price if you have the sub IMO. Wait for a price drop if you want to own it.  

yeah thats exactly what i do, still need to get the latest forza and halo at some point

I picked up the Xbox Series X because of this game, never had much interest in the Xbox consoles to be honest and always had Playstation or Nintendo, although i have picked them up over the years used, but this is the first console i have bought new, tried gamepass for a month and while i think its a good deal overall, not for me who subscibes to PS Plus and NSO, i'll just be picking up the xbox games that i want to play, physical if possible.

Patch coming out today that fixes some bugs, and they will be adding DLSS in the future

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3DKJAom2GjFh4P3gprf5E9/starfield-updates-and-mod-support-september-13-2023

UPDATE VERSION 1.7.29 - FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY
  • Xbox Series X|S Improved stability related to installations.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.
QUESTS
  • All That Money Can Buy: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.
  • Into the Unknown: Fixed an issue that could prevent the quest from appearing after the game is completed.
  • Shadows in Neon: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.

As an aside, here's another reason why I didn't gamepass this game lol