passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Red Dead Redemption

hinn888

Played about 5 or 6 hours over the past few days, that was enough to finish it off.

I thought it was a bit underwhelming when John finally arrived home. When Abigail and he reunite it was just flat, I felt like it should have been fireworks and joy but it was like he’d come home late from work and ruined dinner.

I wasn’t too keen on the tasks you had to de when you get home either. Keeping crows off the corn? That was shit. I hate cow herding too. 

I was was also a bit pissed off when John was killed, it felt super unsatisfying especially as I’d wanted to kill that old man who was taking advantage of him for ages and I felt like he’d had opportunities to do so. I know he was trying to change for the better but fuck that old cunt. Look what happened.

I really liked the way they handled the after math, pulling away from the grave to see Abigail’s next to Johns, then to see Jack as a young man,that shit was cool. And when you finally smoke that old cunt... I enjoyed that. I super appreciated the extra bullets you get to pump in to him.

Overall, a great story, beautifully put together but the controls fucking suck. John was always either too slow or too fast, getting stuck on steps or not climbing up something he definitely could. I enjoyed it despite that shit.

• 2 years later...

Having an extremely leisurely playthru of this, taking in the sights and sounds and sitting back to let Rockstar indulge themselves in wordy (but not annoying, Tales of Vesperia-like) exposition. Played it years ago, but I'm finding the access Xbox gives me to these great old games a revelation, an enhanced revelation at that! I love it.

Pity Rockstar decided they were actual rockstars with the sequel. 2 was just so user unfriendly and indulgent I never got close to finishing it. For forumites of a certain age, a kind of 'Tales from Topographic oceans' of gaming.

85ec5271-8185-4211-ada0-80c9d1978d24.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've hit Mexico in this, which is a very atmospheric area to play around in, great music and vistas, and there's a sense of the sun in your back.

I always think Rockstar handle the sense of place aspect of open world building really well. Sometimes their gameplay can become a bit meh - with this pop out and auto aim kill thing becoming a bit stale now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen this thru to the bitter end. Enjoyed it for the most part but, like all Rockstar open worlders, it started to drag in the final third. But then what can they do but rinse and repeat these drive, chat, shoot mission types - their stories don't really lend themselves to the more fantastical tropes of gaming. You're not going to get any multi tiered puzzle rooms or 60 ft bosses here. Humour and sense of place are where it's at for Rockstar.

I definitely think this was a better game than the sequel. RdR2 just tired me out. It was too big, and too demanding, whereas the first one seemed compact and more user friendly, while still giving a sense of the great outdoors.

I won't say I loved it, though. It's a great game and they're a great studio, but I'm just too accustomed to their method. But hey, it was a good run, and I got to sink countless hours into their games before getting this feeling over overkill. I don't even want them to change. I'm just not that excited for what they're going to be doing in the future, and that's my problem, not theirs.

853275f0-f232-4566-9447-859128983cf8.png

• 2 years later...

Am I reading too much into this or are they ditching Xbox because this doesn't offer any noticeable advantages over the upscaled backwards compatible version that's available on there? If so then this is basically just a very, very late port for two systems who can't run the game at the moment.

Rockstar has become weird.

9 hours ago, mmmark said:

Coming to switch and ps4 but not 5? Far too expensive for very little work. 

PS5 runs PS4 games, so it is coming to both, they probably are saying PS4 because they aren't really doing much work to make it feel/look like a current gen PS5 game.

I won't be bothering with this anyway, I've little time to play my current slate of games, let alone games from yonks ago. If I did I'd play it on Series X regardless and save myself £50.