passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Your Games of the Seventh Generation

DANGERMAN

We're a month or so from a new generation (or a year on from the start of the new generation depending on your perspective), and who doesn't love talking about what game is better than what game, we all do right?

It's been a long one, which is a bit of a shame in some ways. There wasn't a lot in the early days of the generation worth shouting about I don't think, but what there was seems so far away and so surpassed. I don't think it was helped that the last days of the previous generation, as happens everytime I guess, were so good, with Yakuza 2, Shadow of the Colossus and Zelda Twighlight Princess all coming out after the 360 launched.

Of all the early periods the Wii's is probably the line up that endured the most. Wii Sports is still awesome, Mario Galaxy is still awesome and Metroid Prime 3 is still awesome. I guess you could say it's because the Wii's lineup dried up before the others.

At the other end of the scale the PS3 didn't really have much to shout about at the start of the generation, but the last couple of years it's been the best of the home consoles (imo). And this generation still has a few potentially great games coming out like Watchdogs and Metal Gear, with the PS3 having Beyond Two Souls and Gran Turismo as potentially great games (I'm not sure what, if anything MS are putting out as 360 exclusive)

I'm not expecting a list, maybe we'll do that at some point, just some of your favourite games from the generation. I've mentioned it already but Wii Sports was superb, and it's a shame I don't have the room (possibly virtually as well as physically) for the HD version. I'd also give a shout to the Batman games too, there's been quite a few sprawling action games before, including Spiderman, but regardless of superhero ties Batman Arkham Asylum and City nailed it better than any other

Tough one this....

Im going to also consider how the games made me feel at the time if possible, because even a total gem can fade over time and look average now by comparison but its still a goodie.

Id have to go for:

Twilight Princess in there somewhere

Bioshock and Bioshock infinite because of the effect it had on me after finishing it

Mass Effect (probably the first one if I had to pick one from the series)

Fallout 3

Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Excite Truck

Orange Box

Halo 3

Portal 2

Fable 3

Kororinpa

Mario Galaxy

Skyrim

I dont want to pick too many, but those are definite highlights of the things I played this generation, If I had to pick a top one of those then it would be very difficult but perhaps....not sure, just spent about ten minutes thinking about it and cant decide.
Bioshock infinite made me go into some sort of weird headspace cocoon for a few days where it was all I could think about, Halo 3 has had an awful lot of time from me, and always been generous with its fun, Mass effect felt very special when playing it, like you knew it was going to be something big. I would have to go with Cod 4 MW because it was something of a gaming revelation for me and I think a lot of people too.

I think there will be a lot to say in this thread. I'm damn sure I'll even miss stuff.

I'll start with that old work horse the Xbox 360 since that was the first I got of generation 7. The thing with the 360 is it was my first foray into competitive online gaming so I think earlier 360 games mean something to me due to shooting people online for the first time. Call of Duty 2 was kinda fun, I had quite a good time on Halo 3 and I spent more time than most people on the original Gears of War. But it was Battlefield: Modern Combat that made me see how good this kind of game could be. The large maps, the different classes, the vehicles and how it all comes together to make the best randomised action game available. But it all came together later with Bad Company 2. I'd played a few BF games and got pretty good at it at this point, and I'd also come across a regular community to play it with and really get the most out of the game. It also helped that Bad Company 2 is the most rugged and well put together Battlefield game available, or online shooter all together. I also came across a few regulars to play Super Street Fighter 4 with (which I didn't have when I had the vanilla version on PS3) which helped my learn how to play games like that at a decent level from watching and fighting them (and very occasionally: winning). It helped me appreciate the genre since I missed the arcade scene.

As much as the 360 has the reputation as the console for online shooters there was stuff outside that. All of the Rock Band games were a thing I spent a lot of time on and enjoying this gen and are high up on my favorites of this gen. I played that shit at any given opportunity: alone, online and of course locally (I have some friends).

And finally there was that brief time when the 360 was the home of the indies. Braid, Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy and all the other great games that came from XBLA before everyone migrated to Steam and Sony. But the 360 has them. Notable mentions of less notable games from me would be The Misadventures of P B Winterbottom, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile and Ms. Splosion Man. I think those games are really good.

Next one I picked up is the lovely Wii. I like the Wii a whole bunch. It has the Marios, the Zeldas, the Metroids, the Muscle Marchs. All the top games everyone knows.

It’s hard to think of games which would top the list of my favourites of gen 7. The Mario Galaxys would predictably be there and Xenoblade Chronicles would be for me. I’d probably even put Donkey Kong Returns up there just for taking the old 2D platformer genre and just nailing it and making pretty much the perfect example of it. I’d also stick Silent Hill: Shattered Memories in there for being a bold and original take on the horror game genre. And Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Stars for being a pure arsed Treasure game and existing in the late 2000s.

But I’ve also played a lot of games on the Wii which I wouldn’t put high up but I’m just so glad I played as I wouldn’t think about games like I do without them: The Last Story, Deadly Creatures, Little King’s Story, No More Heroes and those mental Bit. Trip games (Though Runner maybe goes in my top).

Wii games were like those weird games you’d get on the PS2 that weren’t great but tried to do things differently whereas on the PS3/360 it felt, on the most part, like fine tuning existing ideas, which is fine as it ended up in some awesome games. But I did still like having the Wii’s catalogue for odd stuff and it never got covered in dust (I never played Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers which massively I regret, too).

And then I got a PS3 and lets have a look at that. I don’t actually have a lot of love for the exclusives which Sony get a lot of credit for. That Last of Us that just came out is as near a masterclass in tying quality gameplay with a quality narrative as we’ve come, and those Flowers and Journeys are nice and Wipeout remains really cool, but I’m out of Kudos for them.

Not that Microsoft are much better but I think it’s just telling how good multi-format games are this gen. It didn’t matter what system you got because the best games were available on both anyway.

So lets just talk about some games.

Batman: Arkham City goes against when I said about PS360 games earlier and is one hella unique and polished to a sheen game with loads of money thrown at it and is just an absolute joy. It’s fucking amazing. the combat was new, not just a polished up DMC clone (which I guess is what Bayonetta is, but it’s that done so well it deserves to be mentioned) and it was just so smartly designed and felt new to me, even though I’ve been playing games like this since they were technically possible, such as Tomb Raider.

And Speak of the Devil that new Tomb Raider reboot as a great melding of a 3rd person action game and a classic puzzler, though I would argue that Tomb Raider: Underworld deserves to be as highly regarded for doing classic Tomb Raider incredibly well.

And then there is Mass Effect. I wouldn’t put the first one on this imaginary list as it’s a great scenario setter but the game is too clunky and plain bad. It was turned into a game you could actually play in the sequels and some less archetypical characters turn up so they should go on the list.

I’m getting bored of writing now and this is going longer than I wanted so I’ll end with some more bottom liners.

Gears of War 2 - Was the best TPS

Vanquish - Is the best TPS

Fallout 3 - A darkly funny and dangerous world with no fucking elves

Brutal Legend - A game made for me

Halo Reach - Halo perfected

Left 4 Dead 2 - The funnest game with zombies in it

Portal - Mind blowing

Mirror’s Edge - Missed potential but also hit it

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - The best black sheep

Muscle March - Game of the generationTM

The Vita and 3ds and next gen?? saying that handhelds are always out of synch with under the tele units.

Back to the games, this is an easy one for me as the stuff i really like i keep so in the keeps pile is:

Wii:

Mario Galaxy 1/2 both awesome games although i really need to go back to 2 and finish

SSX Blur, i know it got slated but i loved this on the wii was great fun.

Zelda Twilight Princess, i don't know why but just really enjoyed this.

Xbox 360

Gears of War, all of them except judgement, just great gaming from MS can't fault i really loved the first game and the others just as good.

Batman came alive this generation for me, just an amazing game Asylum was, didn't get on that well with the follow up just didn't do it for me but still a good game.

Burnout Paradise, howmuch free stuff did we get after the game was released this is what Gold was worth paying for, pity no one else went this way.

Left 4 dead, yep a bit short but the first one was a great blast, never got round to the second one.

Dirt 2/3 although should have Mcrae in the title but great games.

PS3

Heavy Rain, i really enjoyed this i know many on here didn't rate it but i thought it was great.

Uncharted 1/2 still not played much of 3 but again i just thought this was what i wanted tomb raider to be.

Tomb Raider, rebooting a classic at its best!!

Im guessing peripherals should get some thought, i brought the floating steering wheel from MS, this was great with Dirt3 whoever d.eveloped this for MS did an amazing job

This do for the minute.

Handheld

Mario Kart DS - the game that got me into the DS, and back into gaming after a huge hiatus.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - probably the best rhythm action game I've played

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - amazing series

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - caned this on DS, couldn't put it down

New Super Mario Bros. - loved going for 3 coins on each stage, still gets played now.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - the story, the graphics, the music. all stellar.

LocoRoco - beautiful, crazy fun.

Everybody's Golf 2 - it was this or Word Tour on PS3, but I feel it was better suited to the handheld. Hours spent.

Console

Project Gotham Racing 4 - looking back, I think this was my favourite racer this gen

Assassin's Creed II - only one in the series I've played, but really enjoyed it

Dead Space 2 - brilliant atmosphere, tense and action packed. sound design second to none.

Mirror's Edge - just wonderful, played on easy to avoid combat and got the pacifist cheevo.

Burnout Paradise - quality single player but even better online. Great DLC.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - probably my game of the generation

Red Dead Redemption - loved the western setting, still looks amazing today.

Mass Effect 2 - gripping story, well laid out missions and some great DLC

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - the best multiplayer shooter I have played.

Tomb Raider - this is how you do a reboot.

The Last of Us - worth buying a PS3 for, a moving experience.

Grand Theft Auto V - I know it's early days, but this is one of the best games I have ever played.

Super Mario Galaxy - Dat Nintendo magic. you don't get it anywhere else.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - first time I played RE4, and what an experience it was. could not put it down.

Kororinpa - glad sambob gave this a mention as well. Lovely little game.

Console

Project Gotham Racing 4 - looking back, I think this was my favourite racer this gen

yeah! my fave racer also, what a game, i played 3 more but 4 had a better single player mode and the bikes were a fun addition too.

also agree with a lot of what has been said already - halo3/reach, ouendan, mirrors edge, mario galaxy, twilight princess, portal, rock band, no more heroes

trying to think of stuff that hasn't already been mentioned is tricky as i think most of the stuff i'd pick has already been mentioned but

- blur - amazing 20 player races - a racer with weapons done right - shame the handling wasn't a bit better.

- deus ex 3

- dishonoured

- mushihimesama futari 1.5 and ketsui - i should mention some shooters and these are my favorites (they're all great but these have scoring systems i've really clicked with) out of the loads of great ones (mainly the cave stuff for me) that came out on the 360 this gen, a great time for 2d shooter/bullet hell fans with deathsmiles, espgaluda 2, akai katana, dfk black label/ketsui mode, guwange...and loads more...amazing stuff. actually thinking about it the cave ports (and some others) are a large part of what's been so good about this gen for me.

- trials

- and DC mentions sin and punishment 2, i'll mention the first one, as even though its an n64 game, on the wii it was the first time it's been availiable in this country, a game i'd nearly bought a japanese n64 to play a few times - and it was flipping brilliant. mental confusing controls mind, i think he 2nd one controls better.

- mr driller - although also an old game the DS version was the first i played.

- the pacman and galaga dx games

- child of eden was a pretty ace follow up to rez

- forza and gt

- dj hero

so much ace stuff this gen, i'm probably mentioning too much stuff, its hard to narrow it down.

one of the things that struck me from this gen is the 'lack' of Japanese games. I think it's largely down to the 360, and is probably a topic for another day, but Japanese games took a backseat in a way I don't think I've ever seen before. Nintendo obviously had some good stuff, and DS is probably where most of Japan's output ended up, but there was still some great stuff

DC has already mentioned it but Vanquish was outstanding, easily one of the best games of the generation. Binary Domain was brilliant, a were the Yakuza games to a point. Bayonetta was exactly the sort of stuff you'd want from Japan, and Catherine was as thematically interesting as anything. Then Ni No Kuni came out this year (last in Japan) and was probably the best JRPG since The World Ends With You

What about Valkyria Chronicles? I spent many a happy out on my PS3 with this :)

I didn't get Vanquish at all, feel like I missed out on that one.

Also the Rayman games for me - they are wicked!

Does Splosionman count?

My best racer probably was Blur also, just so much fun. Although I poured more time into Forza 3, mainly to try to beat Spatular's times!

Mario Galaxy 2 was definitely my favourite Wii game, really ought to finish it too.

YES to Tomb Raider and Batman Arkham Asylum too (not played the latter, waiting to see if I end up with a WiiU). I had gone off 3rd person shooty type affairs but these got me right back into them.

Portal also, this was way too compelling, brilliant piece of game design. In fact this is probably my game of the generation.

This is a fantastic thread, loads of games for me to check out still before upgrading!

Bioshock Infinite, Dishonoured and Dark Souls spring to mind (MAYBE GTA V also, sandbox..hmm..)

• 4 weeks later...

Red Dead Redemption is today's pick for game of the generation on Eurogamer. I have to say it's certainly up there for me, possibly in my top 10.

As the article says, the Wild West setting makes more sense for mass slaughter than GTA.

Red Dead Redemption is today's pick for game of the generation on Eurogamer. I have to say it's certainly up there for me, possibly in my top 10.

As the article says, the Wild West setting makes more sense for mass slaughter than GTA.

Can't argue with that, or Portal yesterday. They'd both be up there somewhere for me. I'm hoping for some surprising or forgotten choices in the rest of the list, or maybe some I haven't played yet.

I traded my copy of RDR in yesterday for £4 after playing a few hours and realising I don't really enjoy Rockstar's games. I think I need a little more focus to em. Maybe on release it was better, it's aged pretty badly..