passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Critical Acclaim +: Open Mic

Sly Reflex

I wish the controls were a bit faster, other than that, pretty much perfect. So many happy hours spent playing it as a kid and in a family of 4 kids and two gaming adults there was a constant battle over save files. Saturday and Sunday morning were the best since me and my twin bro were always up before everyone else. Like I said, so many fond memories of the game.

Even judging it against modern games though it holds up well. So many companies still get the Zelda format completely wrong even though it was perfected all those years ago so it must be harder than it looks.

I still dabble in this game from time to time. I don't have a nostalgic relationship with it like I do with Zelda II and, to an extent, OoT as I played LttP for the first time on the GBA. I think of it as small scale Zelda game. Though I don't think it's just because I played it in that way; it's a faster paced game with shorter dungeons and can generally be played through in shorter chunks, and because of that I don't think I get the big sense of adventure that you get from the more recent 3D games, and how I presume a Zelda game should be.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing as the more condensed nature of the game does give it a purer, more gameplay driven experience.

I guess I just think LttP is a great template rather than a great game in itself. Like, I think even Minish Cap is better than it due to it being bolder with its mechanics - the whole shrinking thing changing the world around you and stuff, its improved art style - the stuff gives it a great sense of adventure without relying on a 3D world, while LttP looks and is very samey throughout. Maybe you had to be there to truly get LttP as I think the formula has been improved now, and I also can't think of anything that makes it truly stand out apart from it being the game of a lot of people's childhoods. It's like LttP is gaming's Goonies... well, maybe not that bad, obviously, but there is a hint of that.

It's not to say the 3D games are totally where it's at as they do have a bit of fat on them, Wind Waker especially. The series really does need to find that middle ground.

But whatever, it's a game I like: a solid 8/10.

For me the nostalgia makes this game near untouchable. I will always remember playing this on a rainy afternoon on my still fairly new SNES and the opening of the game was all rainy too and before you know it you are whisked away on this adventure and it was just awesome, every second of it was engrossing or challenging.

Ive since tried to play it again and it didnt quite have the same impact that it had back in the day, but then again it had a hell of an impact back in the day.

Well, Link to the Past is getting a remake on 3DS.

Sort of..

EDGE:

A new 3DS Zelda title set for release later this year will take place in the same universe as SNES classic A Link To The Past, but feature a new storyline and new dungeons.

Nintendo confirmed the new title in today’s Nintendo Direct, and said that it will use the greater sense of height and volume the 3DS’ display offers.

A key mechanic in the game will be to turn Link into a drawing, allowing him to move around inside the game’s walls and change the view of play. Nintendo said the title will be released ‘late 2013’.

Fellow Zelda titles Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, originally released on Game Boy Color, will also be coming to 3DS through eShop on May 30th.

The platform holder confirmed the new Zelda in today’s Nintendo Direct, which also brought us news of a Yoshi’s Island game on 3DS and confirmation of several other release dates. Mario Party 3DS was also revealed for the first time, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf was also dated alongside a special edition 3DS console themed around the game.

Fucking EDGE

One of the big games i didn't play, although im sure i have a copy on the GB:Micro somewhere, it was back in the days of the snes? all we played were quick next persons turn games, mario, starfox, sf2 etc... things we could all play, Zelda was more a single player experience and trying to get the console to myself back then was a tricky thing!

I played it a lot on the SNES but never managed to finish it. Then bought a GB Advance specifically to play it (and Super Mario World) only to never finish it again. In fact the only Zelda I've ever finished is the one on the Game Boy despite have started pretty much all of them.

It does still look fantastic, although I think most triple A SNES games still do.

To the people that have not played it, you really owe it to yourself. Obtain a copy somehow and play it. You may not like it, but you will still admire that template that you've played in many games since LttP came out. Its influence on other games is really prolific.

I might put another game up either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. One has been randomly picked. This one will divide opinions too. Divide opinions!

Hang on!

I never played LttP till I got it on the GBA and I thought it was fantastic, then I got it on the Virtual Console and my opinion hasn't changed so I do think it deserves its place as highly regarded. Never finished it though.

i played lttp back in the day, it was one of the 4 snes games i had. but don't remember that much about it, beyond really enjoying it, completing it, the bit right at the start, and getting stuck in a forest (might have had an actual guide book to get past that). i remember much more about links awakening - that's my favorite 2D zelda.