passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Critical Acclaim +: Open Mic

Sly Reflex

I've had this idea floating in my head for a while but never really knew where to start. I was going to go with another game, but seeing as Bioshock Infinite is out I think it'd be good to reflect on the game that kicked it all off, if we are disregarding System Shock.

So when Bioshock came out it released to a chorus of good reviews and the critical reception was great. But was Bioshock really deserving of this? What separated it from being a good game to exemplary game? What did it do that made it stand apart. Was its success and acclaim really deserved?

Discuss.

1. Advance Wars
  2. Bastion
  3. Batman: Arkham City
  4. Bayonetta
  5. Bioshock
  6. Bioshock Infinite
  7. Bomberman
  8. Braid
  9. Bubble Bobble
  10. Burnout 2: Point of Impact
  11. Burnout 3: Takedown
  12. Burnout Paradise
  13. Call of Duty 4
  14. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  15. Catherine
  16. Cave Story
  17. Civilization 4
  18. Dark Souls
  19. Dead Space 2
  20. Deadly Premonition
  21. Demon's Souls
  22. Donkey Kong Country
  23. Elite
  24. Fallout 3
  25. Fez
  26. Fire Emblem Awakening
  27. Final Fantasy VI
  28. Final Fantasy VII
  29. Final Fantasy VIII
  30. Final Fantasy IX
  31. Flower
  32. Forza 3
  33. FTL: Faster Than Light
  34. Galaga
  35. Gears of War
  36. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
  37. Gitaroo Man
  38. Global Defence Force
  39. God Hand
  40. God of War II
  41. God of War III
  42. Golden Axe
  43. Goldenh Sun
  44. Goldeneye
  45. Gran Turismo
  46. Grand Theft Auto III
  47. Grand Theft Auto IV
  48. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  49. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  50. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  51. Gravity Rush
  52. Grim Fandango
  53. Guitar Hero 2
  54. Gunstar Heroes
  55. Halo: Combat Evolved
  56. Halo 3
  57. Half Life 2 (and Episodes)
  58. Hotline Miami
  59. Ico
  60. Journey
  61. Limbo
  62. Littlebigplanet
  63. Lumines
  64. Mass Effect 2
  65. Mario 64
  66. Mark of the Ninja
  67. Metal Gear Solid 2
  68. Metroid Prime
  69. Minecraft
  70. Ni No Kuni
  71. Okami
  72. Outrun (1986)
  73. Outrun 2
  74. Pacman CE
  75. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  76. Panzer Dragoon Saga
  77. Persona 3
  78. Persona 4
  79. Plants vs Zombies
  80. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  81. Pokemon Gold/Silver
  82. Pokemon Red/Blue
  83. Portal
  84. Portal 2
  85. Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
  86. Red Dead Redemption
  87. Resident Evil 2
  88. Resident Evil 4
  89. Resident Evil Remake
  90. Rez
  91. Rock Band 3
  92. Sam and Max: Hit the Road.
  93. SEGA Rally
  94. Sensible World of Soccer
  95. Shadow Complex
  96. Shadow of the Colossus
  97. Shenmue II
  98. Silent Hill 2
  99. Skies of Arcadia
  100. Sonic and Knuckles
  101. Sonic the Hedgehog
  102. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  103. Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  104. Soul Calibur II
  105. Soul Reaver
  106. Space Invaders
  107. Spec Ops: The Line
  108. Spelunky
  109. Super Mario Bros. 3
  110. Super Mario Galaxy
  111. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  112. Super Mario Kart
  113. Super Mario World
  114. Super Meat Boy
  115. Super Metroid
  116. Super Street Fighter IV
  117. SSX Tricky
  118. System Shock 2
  119. Team Fortress 2
  120. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  121. The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  122. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  123. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  124. The Sims
  125. The Walking Dead
  126. The World Ends With You
  127. TimeSplitters 2
  128. Tomb Raider (1996)
  129. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
  130. TrialsHD
  131. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  132. Vanquish
  133. Viewtiful Joe
  134. Virtua Fighter 4
  135. Wipeout 2097
  136. World of Goo
  137. World of Warcraft
  138. WWF No Mercy
  139. Xenoblade Chronicles

The reception Bioshock infinite has been getting has to me skeptical of it. Of course the original Bioshock got similar reviews but it is a game with its issues. I like Bioshock a whole bunch but it does have some glaring flaws, mostly in the moment to moment gameplay. Yeah, you could play with a lot of different mechanics but not many of them felt that satisfying. I hated fighting Big Daddies for the most part. Even in Bioshock 2 I think I stopped after the second fight with a Big Sister as it was like pulling teeth.

But I've gone on about my problem with game criticism before - http://www.mfgamers.com/index.php?showtopic=39373&hl=criticism

Well no, because calling it "the emperors new cloths" suggests narrative in games is unimportant and just window dressing. It made some cool strides in that department and it deserves to be applauded for it.

It deserves respect for some of the things it did, no doubt.

But I'm talking about criticism here, 'cos of the thread title, and it's here that I think is where we have a problem.

But that's reviews for you. They are of a time and current excitement does rub off on a review. It's why I find retrospectives to be a much better look at games these days, and most retrospectives of Bioshock do point out its short comings.

I loved Bioshock. I loved the atmosphere, and the music. The crackling of the jukeboxes and the vending machines. The level names - "Arcadia", "Hephaestus". I guess I was just really immersed in it.

The final boss battle was terrible though, and the ending (or lack thereof).

For me Bioshock was a very presentation heavy title with very little in the way of fun gaming. It did something that no other medium could even dream of doing story wise, and I think that's why it's held in such high regard. Strip that story away and you're left with a very pretty but vacuous looking shell. As a game I found it average at best, there's no amount of dressing up could hide that from me.

One thing I did love about Bioshock was the audio diary pick ups. The fact that it eliminated having to watch cutscenes or took gameplay out of your hands so you could be fed a bit of story was a stroke of genius. Allowing you to consume these mini stories in bitesized fragments as you rooted around the playing areas is something that every game of its type could learn from.

By contrast, I had loads of fun with the combat of Bioshock and I fully immersed myself in the world. The story in the end did elevate it to where I think the fawning was just.

Now, in the opposite end of the spectrum, I really don't get the love that Internet forums have for EDF. I just found it boring repetitive nonesense.

One game at a time H. I've got a list of games to go through and I'll be picking them at random. EDF isn't on the list, it isn't what I'd consider what most critics and players would consider landmark software.

I'm surprised anyone could get fun out of the shooting myself, it just wasn't a fun exercise for me. I'm not saying lots of people didn't find it entertaining, because clearly a lot of them put up with it or enjoyed it to see out the games credits. Was it the shooting that kept them playing or the multitude of other things that kept players engaged? That's what I want to know. That's what I'm looking at, do the component parts of the game constitute to the reputation the game has.

Well it certainly doesn't have the fluid combat that CoD or Halo has, but then those games don't have its story nor is it going down that path, it's more RPG that happens to be in first person is how I played it.

I've said this way too much over the years so apologies to anyone that's heard it before. I like a lot of stuff about Bioshock, Rapture is probably the best game world I've ever experienced, it looked and sounded great, felt fairly full, and it was also brilliantly tense. The slight distortions on normality like the splicers singing religious songs, setting a kind of Chicago 1900s under water, it all helped make it a bit unsettling. I even really liked the plasmids, I liked being able to get a Big Daddy to follow you around, although I think the best use of the plasmids was in Minerva's Den where you needed to use the environment because you didn't have much else.

Which kind of brings me to the problems with it, I saw the other day that it had got loads and loads of 10s at release, I didn't realise that it had been reviewed quite that well. For all the well done narrative (like the audio files) the game itself isn't all that special imo, take it out of that setting and it's pretty run of the mill. It's very predictable at points, you know when you're about to be attacked, the controls weren't great, changing weapons/plasmids wasn't very good, particularly when you wanted to switch ammo types too.

And while the commentary on linearity in games is commendable, like a certain recent modern shooter (that I'm trying not to spoil) it does it by making an incredibly linear game. Saying that you always had a choice and could have stopped at any time is idiotic when I'm supposed to play the game to discover that. It also got very fetch questy in the back half, in fact everything past the reveal is pretty poor imo

To be honest if you look at 95% of AAA games that get Bioshocks level of critical acclaim they pretty much always have massive things wrong with them. I mean Mass Effect is certainly a worse game than Bioshock when all elements are taken into account and it got a similar acclaim, but both are strong in an 'area' and it's what people mostly remember about them, or what people care about when they are playing it.

I think the gist of the big reviews at Bioshock's release were that the things it did well it did on a totally different scale to games that would have been seen as it peers, and so effectively the reviews were high because reviewers were reviewing it as the kind of game that it wants to be. I think its a bit unfair because you could do that with many games and say, I apologise to Sly for talking about games that are not Bioshock, but if you look at Assassins creed when it came out, people went mental for it but then soon after release people began to pick it apart. It was very much a case that playing it as the games creators wanted you to play it would yield great rewards but then if you just ran through sword fighting for example, it was something lesser.

So really the question is should you review a game based on how well it does the stuff that it does well or not, if thats something that we are fine with allowing then Bioshock is definitely deserving of its high scores. Its a linear, atmospheric, high end visual shooter that delivers an exemplary one off story payload that only a handful of games has been able to match. It doesnt hold up well against some other games that offer lots on repeated play through, it doesnt have a strong multiplayer element that some games have, it doesnt have very good RPG elements that you might perhaps expect with a game where you are improving yourself and your powers etc. Its just a case of how you review it I think, praise for the things it does well, and scorn for the things that it doesnt have? or maybe you look at what it was trying to achieve and whether it does that.

I cant really put my finger on why, but i think giving it a 7 or 8 that it could maybe have received if you looked at the things it was lacking would have been wrong, because even now moments from the game stick in my mind and in others that have described them here, for example: the opening sequence where your plane crashes and you are stranded in the water (with the stunning visuals) and you see this lighthouse and make your way to it and are submerged in the bathysphere and you begin to see the scale of rapture as you are guided remotely by this mysterious character on the end of a walky talky. Its a real stand out moment in gaming, its fucking hella stylish, it was narrative in gaming with a real flourish, and was the sort of thing that almost every reviewer wanted to see more of in gaming, and giving it a 10 was probably their best way of doing that. The 10s that Bioshock received should probably be seen more as 'this is good, everyone look at this, parts of it are exemplary' rather than what a 10 would historically be which is more like 'this is gaming perfection'.

I think Sam nailed it in terms of its critical acclaim.

But to be devil's advocate for a bit, don't the rubbish scenarios in the game taint it a bit? Like when you find yourself in a fight with a Big Daddy which is much stronger and faster than you, and it's early on so you haven't unlocked many skills and traps. All you find yourself doing is chipping away at it a little then dying sent back to the Vita-Chamber then chipping at it a little more then back to the Vita-Chamber, and continue to do so to the point it's just comical. Is this emergent and atmospheric? I wouldn't say so.

And of course as well as the nice touches such as audio logs you also have the stupidity of picking up food, drink and cigarettes from buckets and dead bodies and consuming them were you stand. Again, you realise what you're doing sometimes and it's just comical, but not in a knowing way.

When I think about it I've always lumped Bioshock in with the likes of No More Heroes and other games I like that have glaring flaws but are still cool in a lot of ways, and overall, things I enjoy spending time on... well, most of the time spent... some of the time spent... more than half the time.

Anyway, I think I've said my part so I'll end on this:

Is Bioshock the best game ever made? No, it's no where near good enough (Though it may be someones personal favourite, and that's fine).

Does Bioshock have influential elements to it that deserves it a place in gaming history? Yes, and then some.

@Ben, that's not fair about though about "could've turned off at any time". The other game has that but Bioshock is the opposite that you never had a choice and never really do. The points are a little different.

Also I think that the other game failed on this because of it for me - you can't make me feel guilty for having done something in a game when it was all I could do bar turn it off.

I think Sam nailed it in terms of its critical acclaim.

But to be devil's advocate for a bit, don't the rubbish scenarios in the game taint it a bit? Like when you find yourself in a fight with a Big Daddy which is much stronger and faster than you, and it's early on so you haven't unlocked many skills and traps. All you find yourself doing is chipping away at it a little then dying sent back to the Vita-Chamber then chipping at it a little more then back to the Vita-Chamber, and continue to do so to the point it's just comical. Is this emergent and atmospheric? I wouldn't say so.

Real men don't use Vita-Chambers. It adds to the tension and the satisfaction of taking down a big daddy at that time.

I was going to say that actually Dante, when I was in that situation I just chipped away at it and made use of cover etc, part of the challenge was that at that point you werent necessarily meant to be able to beat them easily, and the reward for beating them was the little sisters, which were largely optional. Again the idea was there, but it wasnt quite perfect for all people, and I guess the problem with a review of '10' is that it is seen to mean the game is all things to all people.

I really like Bioshock, the setting atmosphere and art direction are some of the best out there in my opinion. Still, despite the opening really grabbing me, I did have to start it 3 times before I finally knuckled down and finished it.

I don't know if it was anything in the game in particular or just a weird apathy I get towards first-person shooters from time to time. I owned Bad Company 1 and Far Cry 2 at one point and sold both unopened, and couldn't even be bothered to try Crysis' free demo.

The least interesting parts of Bioshock were the most regular "game-y" bits: (go collect 3 parts of this. Go here, but in order to do that first go somewhere else and do x, etc.)

I didn't realize until starting it for the second time, that I didn't need to face the Big Daddies as soon as I encountered them, you can come back for many of them once you're a bit more powerful. Admittedly, you can't get too powerful without the Adam from the Little Sisters, but most of the important Plasmids are given to you as you progress through the game. But before I knew that, the early fights against Big Daddies weren't great.

@Ben, that's not fair about though about "could've turned off at any time". The other game has that but Bioshock is the opposite that you never had a choice and never really do. The points are a little different.

Also I think that the other game failed on this because of it for me - you can't make me feel guilty for having done something in a game when it was all I could do bar turn it off.

I see your point but I think they amount to the same thing. Bioshock tells you you don't have a choice the other game that you do, ultimately it doesn't work in a format that needs to be played