passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Are they any good mystery type TV shows or films on Netflix right now?

There's plenty of horror but I'm after more something like a detective thriller kind of thing. Or if it's horror a bit more Sleepy Hollow type thing.

• 2 months later...

Loving Mindhunter, think I'm 3 or 4 episode's in.

I'm a fan of Fincher's work and I think if you enjoyed films of his like Zodiac then you'll get a lot out of this. It's definitely a slow burn and there's not a lot of shooty bang bang but it's more of a brooding, intellectual thriller. Seeing the two protagonists gradually dive deeper and deeper into the minds of lots of vicious killers is exhilarating.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started the first series of Stranger Things, off to a good start. :D

I've wanted to watch it for a while, but the Mrs wasn't convinced by the first episode (ie she didn't actually watch it and spent half her time on her phone then repeatedly asked 'who's that, what's going on, who are they, why are they doing that, where's that other kid gone'). She was finally up for trying it again and now she's taking away from my Assassin's Creed time with it! Anyway. I'm enjoying it, a lot. Just seen Eleven make a bully piss himself, so that was good fun.

Oh and Winona Ryder is fucking crazy too isn't she? And I don't mean that level of crazy that can make some women a bit hotter, I mean Simpsons cat lady crazy.

We just finished the second series of Stranger Things. It was excellent, I think I might have enjoyed it more than the first series. 

Nothing particularly spoiler-y but just in case. 

Spoiler

I like how it didn’t just hang on the kids so much this time. They are great and still the heart of the show, but I think it was smart/brave to give the other characters some room to breath as well. I think Max was a good addition but her brother felt a bit to cliche. 

Also I was worried they would stray too far down the 80s nostalgia mining route, but they didn’t which is good, a Goonies reference wouldn’t have gone amiss though. 

Almost certainly spoilers. 

Spoiler

So they have two more series lined up. I’m assuming that seven and her gang will have more of a role to play and the upside down is still very much there. 

I think S3 will pick up at the winter ball where you see the monster thing looming over the school in the upside down, Mrs Boxy is less convinced.

I also think Eleven might become the bad guy at some point and they have to defeat/save her. Would play into classic DnD stuff, again Mrs Boxy not convinced. 

• 1 month later...

Just signed up to Now TV recently to watch Babylon Berlin, a high budget German noir detective drama set before WW2.  It's all sleazy and kinda great, I enjoyed it a lot.

I took too long to watch it though and now I'm paying for this service (at a discount) but there isn't much else apart from Twin Peaks.  Oh, and Game of Thrones but I cba with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 2:08 AM, radiofloyd said:

Have you watched it? How was it? It’s not on the Japanese Netflix. Guess they don’t have simultaneous launches.

Much like Season 2 it was a slower burner than Season 1 but it get's really good once it sets up all the pieces. Ewan McGregor is really good! I do love the accents and I think they all nail it. Ohhhh, okaaaay.

I've been slowly working my way through Always Sunny. It's had a few bum notes on the way but it's never been awful.

I just recently watched an episode where Charlie does his whole health and safety thing and I think it might be the most clever use of a continuous shot I've ever seen in a comedy. I don't know if the usual pub is a set or a real building, but you know there's a lot of lighting and all the other rigging that goes up on stuff like this. None of it is ever present. In a 20 minute episode the camera is on a seemingly unbroken shot of Charlie as he runs around trying to patch over the rest of the gangs wrong doings and it's quite frankly amazing. It looks like there's possible breaks in the bits where they venture outside the front of the bar because the way the light flare hits the camera. It's well disguised though.

Technically impressive episode. Series 10 episode 4 (Charlie Work) if you want to watch it. The planning behind it must have been insane to do the things they did in such a small window of opportunity.