passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

although I suspect the inclusion of a mic means no jack, bluetooth only, which is a bit shit.

yeah i hope they don't drop the jack.

i think it looks cool. and i like the idea of a built in mic as then you could use any headphones with it. touchpad remains pointless except for astrobot i guess.

ds4 was a good pad though all they needed to do really was fix all the reliability problems - that's my main concern for the new pad, it needs to not break if you look at it funny.

29 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

Surprised after the recent DS4 attachment that there's no 'back button' as a default (I'm assuming they'd have mentioned it if included).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4/accessories/dualshock-4-back-button-attachment/

Yeah, I assumed that's where this generation was going too. I never really make use of them myself, maybe they're planning to push that attachment or do another pro controller 

At first I found it odd that they didn't ditch the touchpad but then I remembered that they want to be (almost) fully backwards compatible to PS4 at some point. Imagine having to build in a non-standard input method into your controller just to make sure you can open a map in some games from the previous generation. Fun times at Sony R&D.

Overall I think it looks okay, but weird. I wonder how long I have to live to see Sony get rid of the symmetrical analogue stick placement. I still remember the cramps from playing Entwined like it was yesterday.

12 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Although I suspect the inclusion of a mic means no jack, bluetooth only, which is a bit shit. 

It’s got a headphone jack don’t worry. 

10 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

It’s the price I’m more concerned with. DualShock 4 already costs £40/50. So this will be just as expensive, with features not everyone will use. 

Fuck the touchpad. When’s the last time a game properly used that? It was used as a gimmick for the beginning, then vastly forgotten about. I honestly can’t think of any recent game that’s done anything with it.

I would imagine it’ll be much the same price as the the DS4. Probably a little more at launch because everything costs a bit more at launch, but after a little while it’ll be there same price there or thereabouts as the DS4. 

As @Maryokutai said the Touchpad is because of the Backward Compatibility with PS4 titles. A lot of PS4 games use the touchpad - even if it’s just for the map - so they couldn’t really get rid of it for the DualSense as that would mean a whole load of PS4 titles couldn’t easily be played with a DS on a PS5. 

8 hours ago, spatular said:

Yeah I hope they don't drop the jack.

They haven’t, don’t worry.

6 hours ago, Nag said:

How dumb is it that the easiest way to get screenshots from  PS4 to a phone is to make a dummy PSN account and message them to yourself and then save them from the messenger app... why the fuck did they discontinue the Communities app, in fact why did they need three separate apps in the first place.

?

They isn’t. Easiest way is Twitter, you can create an account and keep it completely private, don’t have to do anything on there apart from post your photos from PSN. 

Also, not sure about on Android but I just looked on iOS there’s still a PS Communities app. I don’t have a clue why they separated them though. 

48069FC4-1E99-4B24-B276-7EFD9BA3E93E.jpeg

Ah yeah, I just tested it and got the same @Nag. I still get notifications from it which is weird ? guess they must be replacing it with something else but it’s a bit of a strange move even though I personally never use it.

Not sure about the picture quality to Twitter, I imagine it gets compressed but not sure. I only usually post pics here or ResetEra so I’m not too fussed myself.

Sony are giving away Journey and the Uncharted Collection for free soon as part of their new initiative Play At Home.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-04-14-playstation-reveals-USD10m-fund-to-support-indie-developers-during-covid-19

Announced by PlayStation president Jim Ryan, the Play At Home Initiative includes a $10 million creative fund for indie developers experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Details on the fund and the criteria will be made available at a later date, the platform holder said.

"Independent developers are vital to the heart and soul of the gaming community and we understand the hardships and financial struggles that many smaller gaming studios are facing," Ryan explained.

PlayStation is also giving away Journey and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection to all PS4 customers for a limited time (between Wednesday, April 15 - Tuesday, May 5) to "help keep the PlayStation community entertained at home". For users in China and Germany, Sony is offering Knack 2 in place of The Nathan Drake Collection. Once the game has been redeemed, it's then the player's to keep.

Up to you whether you want to rush and set up a German account 

So if you've got a PS+ game you can't usually also 'buy' a digital copy of the same game to own/keep (hence whenever you cancel your sub your PS+ games become locked).

So are they now allowing PS+ members to now download and keep both these free games even if they already have them through PS+ ?

Isn’t it a funny situation in which neither console can release long after the other because gamers are fickle and they’re scared that if they’re much later released they’ll lose out no matter how much they might believe in their product.

Imagine if everything was released with this mindset. There’s largely no brand loyalty because they’ll both play fifa 27 and gta 8. What a precarious situation.