passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

7 hours ago, Nag said:

For some reason today when I turned on my PS5 I had to run through the screen size and HDR settings again?... the sound had switch priorities too, fuck knows what that was all about.

That's the thing with these supercar like consoles, some times they do funny things and need a bit of care. The quiet Volvo like reliability of the Series X would never have this issue.

21 hours ago, Nag said:

For some reason today when I turned on my PS5 I had to run through the screen size and HDR settings again?... the sound had switch priorities too, fuck knows what that was all about.

I've not had that before, I assume it auto-downloaded some kind of update or something? Weird.

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I've not had that before, I assume it auto-downloaded some kind of update or something? Weird.

I don't leave my consoles in standby mode unless I'm downloading games (it wasn't)... it was also up to date with its system software, which shouldn't change any settings in any case.

Maybe my house is haunted, my original Xbox One used to turn on by itself.😂

14 minutes ago, Nag said:

Maybe my house is haunted, my original Xbox One used to turn on by itself.😂

Do you have a pet? Because I swear the front of the Xbox One is a cat magnet and whatever body part they decide to rub against its front is enough to turn it on. And I know that sounds super dirty somehow.

It spent time in the conservatory once I bought a Xbox One X, it would turn on while the conservatory was locked up tight and not in use... it was weird.

I guess that might mean judging by the Xbox sales that Microsoft have made ground over last time. Difficult to tell though with both stock being crap.

S is always available though, I wonder how many people got fed up of waiting and bought that to be getting on with. 

20 hours ago, mmmark said:

I guess that might mean judging by the Xbox sales that Microsoft have made ground over last time. Difficult to tell though with both stock being crap.

S is always available though, I wonder how many people got fed up of waiting and bought that to be getting on with. 

It's about the same I'd say. 

XBS|X is at around 6.5m (est.), XB1 was at about 5.7m (est.) last time at this point (so XBS|X is about 800k better off than XB1, 1.5 million better off than 360) and PS4 took almost a month longer to hit that 10m figure (August 10th 2014) last time around. Source for estimates.

It seems with Series S demand seems to of largely been met in Europe but is still selling very well in the US from what I understand. 

While the numbers are roughly similar, let's not forget that Xbox One had a very good launch lineup, something that got overshadowed by a lot of bad publicity and Kinect, whereas Series XS basically launched without any kind of exclusive games. We'll see how it goes, but I feel like it'll move towards a more healthy split this generation than the almost monopoly of PS4.

Some Sony VR stuff

For some reason links aren't working right, so this is from a resetera thread. You can google it if you want.

• Referred to as NGVR by Sony (next gen PSVR) - not PSVR 2
  • Will use Fresnel OLED screens with a 2000x2040 resolution per eye
  • HDR display
  • FOV is 110 degrees
  • Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction with eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources
  • Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion
  • The new controllers which don't have a name yet will be packaged with every new NGVR headset at launch.
  • The controllers will include capacitive touch sensors, which are analogue based and can track the distance between your fingers and thumb. This is in addition to haptics and adaptive triggers which have already been announced
  • Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.
  • Nothing was mentioned regarding BC for PSVR1 but there is a push to remaster some PSVR1 games
  • The headset itself wasn't shown and release date wasn't mentioned but launch plans will be revealed in early 2022.

OLED for VR would be really nice, the elevated blacks are the worst thing about the Quest and killed some of the 'horror' sections of Alyx for me cause it was just grey. True blacks where literally all you can see is a headcrab would make that stuff work a lot better.

HDR.. eh, I don't think I'd notice it in VR that much. I doubt they would have high brightness for it anyway.

Hybrid VR games makes sense to I guess lessen the risk of people not buying the software, but obviously any hybrid game is going to be a bit compromised compared to a VR game that takes full advantage of the platform's features (eg, interdependence of viewport and hands, like how you can fight things that are behind you in Skyrim VR) The reason people talk about Alyx so much is it's a fully VR dedicated campaign, lots of systems in it would not work in flat screen. eg, pulling a car door open and holding it in place against the recoil of bullets to take cover. Or blind chucking a grenade to something outside your viewport, those are difficult systems to implement in a less flexible medium like flatscreen gaming

Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction with eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources

I remember Carmack talking about this a while back, it's a really good idea. I think that Star Wars vr game where you fight Darth Vader might have used it

I’m very excited about the next PSVR. I ended up really liking the first one except for where it’s too cumbersome and awkward to set up. Hopefully the next one fixes usability stuff like that.

Little bit disappointed that VR games won’t be supported across the headsets. I got a few VR games from PS+ and different sales assuming they’d work when the next headset comes out.

This is small thinking but I’m most excited about a Astrobot sequel. The first one is one of my favourite gaming experiences ever and as cute as the PS5 game is it doesn’t really count. I want a proper VR sequel.