passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

As well as games I wonder how long game patches will be available to download?

I have been updating all my titles on my PS3 so they are up to date.

How many titles will be left broken and unplayable when this service eventually stops?

Yes its inevitable, but a depressing thought aabout modern games, especially when PS4 Gen rolls around to being discontinued some years down the line, our acceptance of supporting games companies who continue to publishunfinnished games will leave so many of these games Dead in Years to come.

Schrier's of the view it will be perma gone

Maybe there will be a backlash here and Sony will relent.

Good thing then that emulation is maturing and digital preservation by amateurs is a thing. You could call that preservation by a different p word but if Sony aren't keeping the games available in the form people paid for then might as well do it the other way

This is why phone home DRM sucks as well cause activiation servers for that stuff get shut down. Doom Eternal has a thing on PC where you must connect it to the internet at least every few months for it to be certified legit. I noticed it cause I had a firewall setting to stop it asking me to create accounts to play it, but on startup there is a earlier check. The account one is trivial and not a big deal but the first check is one of those things where if we end up in a fully digital future (which we will) then this side of things has to be handled better cause some of us like revisiting stuff years later

i was hoping they'd leave stuff up for download for a while after they shut the store, oh well. guess i'm downloading as many vita/psp/ps3 games as i can.

i did this semi-recently when they shut the wii stuff down, the wii at least uses sd cards which helped.

1 hour ago, radiofloyd said:

Yeah I was in Japan at the time so got burned by the Wii store being taken offline. I didn’t have a mountain of games but I had four or five.

i read on another forum that you can still download your old stuff on the wii even though they said they were shutting it down, so if you get chance, give it a try i guess?

6 hours ago, spatular said:

^ apparently it's a thing on the ps3 too (maybe just stops digital games working on ps3?), if so i guess we'll find out sooner if they sort it.

I could believe it with digital, particularly on the PS3, but it seems less sensible for it to block physical games. The discs have the DRM on, and the PS4 spins up to check the discs even if they're installed to the HDD, I don't see why you'd make them dependant on a clock. 

PS4 is less of an issue I suppose because it all works on PS5, but it might be worth opening up the PS3 to see if you can replace the battery at some point

If anyone pre-ordered with base or shopto and you got the invite to buy email you have today close to buy your console, got 2 on the way, not for me been trying to get them for a couple of mates that have struggled to secure one and I had outstanding pre-orders I didn’t cancel.

Yea as long as the stuff can be downloaded that's fine.

I guess one thing I'll say is stay away from those Digital Devil Saga ports on PS3 PSN, they are really badly emulated and have slowdown/sound sync issues

Not that people are likely to buy them but it just shocked me that the would sell broken emulated games on the story like that

• 2 weeks later...

I think Sony are trying to keep the appearance of being like a video game version of HBO or something. Days Gone II seems like a sure fire sales success even with the middling reception for the first one, the player critic divide there is fairly strong so the only explanation is they want Naughty Dog games to be like this prestige shit.

Right now I've no real interest in most of the first party stuff from all three companies, even BOTW II on Nintendo isn't exciting me (particularly cause we haven't even seen that thing yet). MS seem to just do the same thing over and over, Sony are over here making movie games, Nintendo are Nintendo. It's all about the third party for me.

Tho MS are pretty aggressive with their acquisitions so they could turn a really interesting corner at some point, especially if they work with Kojima.