passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Games of the Year 2009

Hendo

Seeing as the top ten of the last 10 years was a roaring success, let's narrow it down a bit more.

As wiivo said about MW2 being my game of the year in the Batman thread, it made me think that now is maybe the best time to recap on what's blown you away this year and why.

Games that were released this year:

Batman : Arkham Asylum

It's actually got me interested in the whole Batman universe. I've been mega surprised by how polished and well thought out this is, and most importantly, how brilliant it plays.

Battlefield : 1943

This took CoD4's place so it has to be mentioned. I'm surprised that a game with only 3 maps doesn't get boring quickly.

The House of the Dead : Overkill

I might never actually go back to it as I've beasted that mother(fucker) but it completely blew me away the first time through, and that's pretty important.

InFAMOUS

Nearly forgot this, it's up there with Batman in making you feel like a bad mother fucker.

Red Faction : Guerilla

I haven't touched the multiplayer at all and I haven't finished the single player but it deserves a mention because blowing stuff up is just too much fun.

Resident Evil 5

I seem to be on my own on this one but I loved this from start to finish. Not as epic or puzzley as RE4 but I still enjoyed this massively.

Wheelman

If there's an award for most fun you can have in a cheap ass game, then this would probably win hands down. It's mega dumb but I loved it.

Tales of Vesperia

Not likely to be my favourite game of the year but it is a JRPG that I'm enjoying and that's rare enough to get a mention.

Trials HD

I fucking :wub: this, but Christ, it's tough as fuck.

Games that weren't released this year:

Far Cry 2

Stumbled at the beginning but once you understand how it works with the guard posts then it pretty much clicks into an ace game.

A Kingdom For Keflings

I sunk a shit ton of time into this, really enjoyed it.

Mass Effect

Glad I gave this a second chance, possibly my favourite gaming session in a long time when I sat down and just played this until it was all over and my hideous freak of a man was called the hero of the galaxy.

So far then, I'd say my best experience was going through the epic Mass Effect and for this year's releases it might be down to Batman, though it is obviously the most fresh in my mind.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deathsmiles - top notch shooting action, highly adjustable difficulty, great music, awesome arrange mode, nice DLC and all round fun game. before the year started this was probably the game i was looking forward to the most and it didn't disapoint, really need to play it more though.

persona 4 - my first propper jrpg, great story/characters, genuinely funny at times, good fun fighting system and everything interlinks so nothing feels like a waste of time despite it taking 100+ hours!

and just going to agree with hendo on these:

Trials HD, awesome game, learning curve that makes the seemingly imposible become possible. so many addictions/goals to aim for.

Batman - really polished, nicely varied gameplay, each section being good on it's own, great story and atmosphere

i want to get infamous at some point but am in no rush and haven't seen it cheap anywhere yet.

in no particular order-

Street Fighter 4 - top notch sf game, brought into 3d brilliantly, at least gameplay wise. movesets were simplified and thats a good thing to a sf2 fan.

King of Fighters XII - fantastic fighter, much more pretty than sf4! following capcoms lead with simplified movelists. shame the onlines fucked but thats been fixed already on the ps3, just waiting for the 360 patch

Resident Evil 5 - mint stuff, not as good as RE4 and i hope they change the format a bit for 6 but this was a gorgeous sci-fi horror romp with great gameplay

GTA:TLAD - preferred the dlc storyline to the main game's!

Seeing as the top ten of the last 10 years was a roaring success, let's narrow it down a bit more.

I must of missed that thread, thats one to have a good think about.

I've played some great games so far but my most anticipated games are yet to come. I guess its a good idea to remember these games released early in the year because they do get forgotten. I'll be back with a fine list.

people apparently hate list threads :o

Honestly I cant remember what came out when but

Flower

Street Fighter 4

Chrono Trigger

I feel like I'm missing some good stuff, but honestly this year I dont think there's been much truly special. Yet conversely I cant think of too many bad games i've played

Edit: Plants vs Zombies

And I expect Batman and probably Dragon Quest 5 would make a top 10 if I did one now, but I feel a bit wrong giving either that honour (because they're very good but not quite good enough for such a lofty award). I'd also put Prince of Persia up there in my 10 best games I've played this year, even though it came out last year

Games that were released this year:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I loved this from the moment I started playing it. It’s so polished, and is probably the best single player-only game I’ve played since Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. I’m yet to finish the story, but I can’t wait to get back to it.

Battlefield 1943

Superb stuff. Like Hendo, it took me away from CoD. There’s so much to do tactics wise, something for everybody.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

It was the first time I played through this, and I enjoyed every minute. Perfectly suited to the handheld, I’d love more of this.

Flower

A beautiful game, that everyone should experience.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

I haven’t touched it since I finished the main story, but when I was playing the story I was completely hooked. My favourite GTA.

The Maw

Started this again properly after playing briefly on release, and finished it rather quickly. One of my favourite XBLA games, I must get the DLC one day. I hear there’s plushies on the way, too.

Games that weren't released this year:

A Kingdom For Keflings

Got this on the forum’s recommendation (thanks Hendo, Sly), and was hooked. A simple concept, that has such an addictive nature. You have to love it. I did.

Prince of Persia

I have fond memories of playing this. It looked absolutely stunning at times, and although it was a bit repetitive and easy going, I had a great time once I’d gotten into it.

Games released this year:

Time Gentlemen, Please! (PC) http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=559

Simply one of the best, funniest point n click adventure games I've played in a long, long time.

Warhamer 40,000 : Dawn of War II (PC)

They've stripped out most of what people think of when you say RTS (base building, large numbers of units), and replaced it with something else, it's kind of Action RPG/RTS crossover. You never build bases, or units: your 4 commanders/units are dropped on the map, and that's it.

It's a lot of fun working out how to use the squads you've deployed to complete the objectives. The combat, using cover points, crossfire and ambushes to take out the enemy is really engrossing. Added to that is the ability to level up your squads, and the loot rewards that make it very addictive.

Red Faction: Guerilla (360)

It'll all about the blowing shit up. :D

Rock Band Unplugged (PSP)

As a single player experience, this is probably more enjoyable that regular Rock Band for me. Maybe that's just because I really liked Frequency and Amplitude, but there's simply something really fun about switching between the various instruments like a madman.

Zeno Clash (PC)

Utterly weird and wonderful. The didn't really make a lot of sense, but the environments and characters were so imaginitive and original that I found myself compelled to play through just to see what was next.

Plants vs. Zombies (PC)

Just an all round great game. It's very simple in concept, but packed with variety within that framework, and it's absolutely bursting at the seams with charm and humour. I also love how it was marketed and released : nothing was known about it until the wonderful music video announcement, and the news that it would be out in a month.

Older games I only played this year:

Bully : Scholarship Edition (360)

All of the charm and subversive humour of Rockstar games, with none of the moral uneasiness of having to play as an unpleasent scumbag doing horrible things. Might well have been the most enjoyable game I've played so far this year, if it wasn't for Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

Just filled with jaw dropping moments.

Okami (PS2)

Okami just blew me away. I've gushed about it at length on the forum already, go read my 300 words of nonsense on the completed games thread if you want to know more.

I agree with Ben when he says that nothing ive played this year has particularly blown me away really. My most anticipated games are still yet to come, although I was looking forward to Batman and that didnt disappoint me.

I have been quite impressed with Fifa 09 on the psp, its not hugely different from the 360 or ps3 versions, but thats what i was looking for. Its great for when I get that urge to play some Fifa but i cant because im not home etc.

Final Fantasy 7 was re-released on the psp and that sparked a bit of excitement in me, but again mainly for games yet to be released rather than anything else.

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to think about my top 10 of 2009. I reckon I have them, I just need to put them in some sort of order.

Are we going to do a best of 2009 type thing, or maybe do a forum vote and compile them to give us the forum's choice award or something? I'm happy with just listing my top 10 with a few words on each, mind.

It's nearing the end of the year, so it's time I put my selection up. These are not finalised, but I can't think of much else to go for.

The class of 2009

GTA:CTW - A great game and an awesome accomplishment from the guys at R* Leeds. I really hope the dealing minigame to make money gets incorporated into the next console versions, as it was really addictive and it was pretty tense when you were trying to run away from the cops knowing that if they caught you that 300k's worth of heroin you bartered your way to through doing small time drugs was going to be confiscated made you really make an effort to get away from the cops. Normally I would just run from the cops, but when profit like that is on the line you kill whoever stands in your way. I liked the way of reducing your wanted this time as well, hearing the sirens die out with a whimper always brings a smile to my face.

GTA:TLAD - A really smart step from R* going down the "LOST" way of telling stories. The missions were fitting for Johnny, and riding bikes round with your whole chapter felt great. If they could make more missions where there wasn't as much wanton destruction and killing for no particular reason other than it made it feel gamey, they would have a great way of pushing media forward, as some bits seemed to be at odds with what was happening at the cut scenes. Still, it's a bloody great game, and it just shows you what's possible with DLC when you try.

Borderlands - It should be really boring, I mean all your doing is quests that are practically the same for ever increasing spoils. I guess knowing that the next big thing may be just around the corner is what keeps you playing, as I get the feeling the story was penned some guy who would fail to get a jobs at McDonalds due to him being a bit of a retard. Another thing I really like with this is playing online, before RPG's were a lonely affair, but now you can drag three friends along. You need to work together though, because as soon as a buddy enters the world of Pandora, everything gets stronger. A game that has totally surprised me this year, I think everyone should at least try it and see if they like it.

Battlefield: 1943 - I'm a big fan of Battlefield anyway, so this was pretty much a cert to be in here. I know a lot of people missed out on Bad Company, which was by far the better game, but at least this game eased you into what you will be getting with Bad Company 2. If you thought this was full of tactics, Bad Company 2 will blow you away from what I have experienced on the beta.

Red Faction Guerilla - Another surprise of the year, seemingly coming out of nowhere. Blowing shit up has always been fun, and this game just reiterates that sentiment we all have. Stupidly dumb fun is the name of the day here, setting targets up before leaving the area and blowing them up was great, as was panicking like fuck trying to knock a building down with your trsty sledge hammer while a firefight was going on round your ears. The destruction was a leap forward too, although it wasn't perfect, it was damn good fun.

Left 4 Dead 2 - It's just so much better than the original. Better characters, more weapons, new infected and more dynamical set pieces which change each time you play, you would have to be clinically insane not to enjoy what Valve have done here. Even the Vs is fun to play now, because the survivors are stripped of all the cosy little benefits they had in the 1st game. I cannot see where they can go from here just yet, as they have made the perfect co-op game.

Resident Evil 5 - 79 fucking times!

Noby Noby Boy - It's not really a game, and a lot of people misunderstood it as there were no directions as what you were to do. A madcap playground where you make your own rules and fun were on the menu for this title. I really hope they make another game featuring Boy and Girl, although this time have more directions and substance to it, as the world they have made has plenty of charisma and under the right circumstances could be enjoyed by more than what do now.

Flower - Just beatiful man. Proof that not all games are gory murder simulators.

50 cent:BotS - because it was hilarious. It wasn't a good game by any means. It was like watching an action movie from the 80's that took itself way too seriously and ended up looking like a right twat. The whole game is just a nonsense, OTT and so offensive on the characterisation of arabs I am surprised the BNP didnt white fiddy up and use it as a poster campaign. It's daft and you must play it to see for yourself.

Other notable mentions must roll out to Mass Effect, Pixeljunk Eden, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead, Killzone 2, Monkey Island, FFVII, Soul Bubbles, The Sonic games, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, The Maw and Halo ODST. Not all were released this year, but those were what I played and enjoyed immensely. It's only when you look back on what we have had over the last few year you realise what a fine hobby we have. People may look upon it as time wasted, but I'd rather be sat engrossed in a game with friends than watching some soap or reality tv. Long live gaming and all who take part in consuming her wonderful fruits.

Games of the year, tbh there is only one game this year that has grabbed me and i just had to play on, and that is:

Batman:AA, this game for me was just superb, the story line was believable and the fighting bits seemed to be spot on with the bats skills being upgradeable. I just hope at the moment we will get a sequel thats how much i enjoyed this game.

Trying to think of other games ive enjoyed this year, Professor Layton 2 on the DS, does that count as it was released this year in the UK.

Im going to have a nosey in my games boxes to see what else ive played this year as i don't remember playing much at the beginning of the year.

Really odd had a rumage through my game boxes, i haven't brought any wii games at all this year except NSMBwii, and Sports Resort, and thats it! my wii needs some loving!

Glad I started this thread as I would've forgotten about some of them games.

So now I can add:

Assassin's Creed II

This is definitely one of my top 5 games of the year, it's completely sucked me into its world and because of this Left 4 Dead 2 is still in its shrink wrap.

Improves on the first in every way, yet is still the same game and feels the same. Ubisoft have done a brilliant job with this.

The Beatles : Rock Band

It's not as long-lasting as normal Rock Band because of a short tracklist and not as much DLC tunes being pumped in, but this is a fantastic achievement, if not for getting a load of different companies in one room and agreeing on something.

Dead Space : Extraction

All fans of Dead Space should get this, it's brilliant, and all light-gun game fans should as well. It should've sold a lot more.

Grand Theft Auto : The Lost and Damned

Almost forgot this, but Sly's list reminded me. Goes to show I think it's been a great year for gaming when a gem like this can get forgotten.

Also, has a hairy dong in it so you can't go wrong.

Modern Warfare 2

I can't decide if the single player is not as good as the first or if the impact of the same kind of events has been dulled, even still single player is great fun, Spec Ops is a decent challenge, but multiplayer has sucked me straight back in again.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Does what it says on the tin. Sorry, TIN.

Wii Sports Resort

Weird because it's better in every way than the original and yet I bet people have hardly played it since it came out.

Brilliant fun though, fighting on the podiums is always good for a laugh.

I usually go with 3 games for this kind of thing, but for here I'm just gonna roll with it.

Forza Motorsport 3 Everything that was great about both Forza and Forza 2 in one package and more.

Dragon Age Origins The setting of this RPG isn't normally my bag so the fact its dug its claws into me speaks volumes

Brutal Legend I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brutal Legend goes to 11

New Super Mario Bros Wii I'm not one to go mad for Mario but I'm struggling to draw myself away from this, its everything I've been wanting from Nintendo ever since almost everyone abandoned 2D.

Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! What Did I Ever Do To Deserve This? Completely different to anything I've played before, a little like a Tower Defense Game meets Dungeon Keeper but incredibly addictive, devious, amusing and difficult

LittleBigPlanet (PSP) Admittedly not played alot of it, but I adore everything about it (aside from the controls on the analogue nub)

Prinny! Can I Really Be The Hero? The gameplay style isn't normally my thing, but that was countered by the humour and artwork that Nippon Ichi expertly craft into pretty much all of their games (again see Badman! as an example of this) which enabled me to grow to enjoy the gameplay itself too.

I'm gonna think of 10 soon, dunno why 10, its just a good number. Games that made me go "ooooo" were.

Forza 3, Brutel Legend, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, Shadow Complex, 'Splosion Man, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, BF:'43.

PS3

Bionic Commando, Street Fighter IV, Flower, Wipeout HD: Fury, Outrun Online Arcade.

PS2

Persona 4.

PSP

Rock Band Unplugged (and LBP if it wins me over).

Wii

Madworld, Metroid Prime Trilogy, LostWinds: WotM, Bit Trip: Beat, NyxQuest.

DS

Mario & Luigi: BIS, Chrono Trigger.

I didn't think it was a very good year, I know I have missed a few heavy hitters (Uncharted 2, MW2, New Mario and Batman) but even if they turn up awesome I don't think its been as strong as the last two years, proper all time favourites were released then. I reckon next year will be awesome though, Mass Effect 2 and Bayonetta in the first month FTW.

I'm gonna think of 10 soon, dunno why 10, its just a good number. Games that made me go "ooooo" were.

Forza 3, Brutel Legend, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead 2, Shadow Complex, 'Splosion Man, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, BF:'43.

PS3

Bionic Commando, Street Fighter IV, Flower, Wipeout HD: Fury, Outrun Online Arcade.

PS2

Persona 4.

PSP

Rock Band Unplugged (and LBP if it wins me over).

Wii

Madworld, Metroid Prime Trilogy, LostWinds: WotM, Bit Trip: Beat, NyxQuest.

DS

Mario & Luigi: BIS, Chrono Trigger.

I didn't think it was a very good year, I know I have missed a few heavy hitters (Uncharted 2, MW2, New Mario and Batman) but even if they turn up awesome I don't think its been as strong as the last two years, proper all time favourites were released then. I reckon next year will be awesome though, Mass Effect 2 and Bayonetta in the first month FTW.

I own that (unsuprisingly) but still haven't gotten round to even playing it yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Eurogamer's Top 50 vote of the year is up - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/reader-top-50-2009-survey

Vote for your top 5 of the year and as usual, the top 50 will be posted in an article at some point soon.

I went for:

1. Batman : Arkham Asylum

2. Assassin's Creed II

3. Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves

4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

5. Modern Warfare 2

I could've done with a 6th to holler for Trials HD though.

I did this before, I've sort of forgotton what I put, but I think it was

1. Flower

2. Street Fighter IV

3. Uncharted 2

4. Plants vs Zombies

4. Batman

tbh I could easily swap Batman out for Disgaea, Torchlight, or I suspect Persona 4 if I ever get round to playing it