passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Technically Bad Games.

Sly Reflex

Over the past week I have been playing Saints Row 2 with my online co-op cohort in tow. Now, it isn't the worlds best game, in fact some of it is downright near broken. Anything that involves water makes the frame rate drop so low you could count the animation frames on you hands, the AI of enemies is terrible (for instance, a boss just stood there while we filled him with lead), the AI for ally gangsters is fucking terrible, Shaundi has to be the biggest liability I have ever come across in a game, she is even worse than Natalya on Goldeneye at some points, Pierce was only slightly better. The voice overs were pretty terrible, the overall design of the city was boring and the missions just involved blowing people and shit up in a variation of ways. The bugs were rife, although often not game breaking, but just down right weird or funny. There was one where the helicopter was meant to spawn on the ships deck, but instead it spawned under the deck in an enclosed room.

Now, my point is that I am having lots of fun with this game, despite it been broken to fuck. It makes me appreciate that sometimes games can be fundamentally shagged on a code level, but still be incredibly fun to play. The co-op might have something to do with it, as might be the games attitude of not taking itself too seriously. I feel the same way about this game as Hendo did with The Wheelman. I guess if I was to make a comparison it would go something like this. Comedy makes me happy, some games are an intricate woven story that pans out to a really funny conclusion. However, this game is the equivalent of watching some fat man stand in a dogshit, and while he looks at the bottom of his shoe he gropes a woman's tit as he tries to balance himself, only for the woman to slap his face disorentating him and then him walking out in front of a bus. It might not be a clever story, but it still makes me happy with its silliness.

Overall, I'm going to play more so called sub par games after this experience. As long as they are fun, I think that is all that matters.

What do you think about bad games? Have you played a bad game that was still enjoyable?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I would take SR2 over GTAIV any day, the latter might technically be the better game, but the bugs really made some stand out pieces for us when we were playing. On a helicopter mission, we managed to catch the tail on a pipe that went from building to building, forcing the physics to make the chopper do an impromptu loop the loop. We also ended up exploiting a glitch that allowed you to get in the car if you were stood on top of it quite a lot. I also found that I could climb walls in the FBI 4x4 if I reversed up certain buildings. :lol:

I have the LOST videogame here, I might crack on with that, I hear it has some massive bugs and bad voice acting in it. I hope it's as entertaining as the Saints were, although I doubt anything will be as funny as taunting rival gang members then watching them teleport all over until they end up in a wall and die.

I played through the PS2 remake of the old 8/16 bit Fist of the North Star game last year, and loved it. It's fucking woeful though, one punch kills everything, and the enemy A.I. is basically to leap from either side of the screen. so the gameplay became tap left punch, tap right punch. It also only took about 40 minutes to do, which probably helped things. It's a piece of shit, but an entertaining one

You're making me want to play Driver 3 again.....oh, sorry, Driv3r. :rolleyes:

I was starting to think that bar Wheelman I haven't played a game like that in ages, but then I remembered House of the Dead 2 which is bad all over. Not gameplay-wise as such, but lordy the voices and character models are bad.

What perfect timing this thread is! Yesterday in a moment of madness me and a mate bought a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and decided to copy a thing I saw on the internet where they play through the entire game without stopping, to see if the game really is that bad. We had pizza, and Beer. There were three of us playing it in turns. The game is pretty shockingly bad. First of all, the graphics are fairly rubbish to begin with, but random slowdown is very prevalent, making it worse. The camera is fucking shocking, the controls for it are like treacle and it's very hard to get it to look where you want to go.

I swear for most of the game you're just going around Soleanna (The shitty hub world) doing random shit for people. This means fucking awful awful loading screens where it takes ages to load a scene with 2 lines of dialogue, then ages again for the actual task to start (Which are always shit, my favourite being the one where you chase some little boys). It gets even worse when you start playing as Tails, who controls like utter pish. When he's in the air, it's so sensitive and if you fuck up remotely, you're fucking dead. Let's not get started on when Knuckles climbs a wall but the graphics show him 2 feet away from it.

We had fun doing it though, despite the shitty game (Partially why it was fun, although at points I wanted to snap the game disc at crappy bits). I finally finished it about an hour ago, we were playing for fucking ages too. (20 hours of awesomeness, the banter was worth it)

Transformers: The Game was terrible really, the gamepla was pretty repetitive and some of the bugs were horific.

Twice the game crashed just before i completed it, and i mean literally 2 seconds from the game accepting defeat. I fell into skyscrapers and couldnt get out, some enemies either got stuck inside walls so i couldnt destroy them or they just didnt show up at all meaning in both instances i couldnt finish that particular level - yet somehow i enjoyed it enough to put in near 24 hours completing both Autobot and Decepticon campaigns, collecting all the energon cubes and other such collectables on every level and 100%ing the mutherfucker.

body harvest on the 64 is one of my favourite games ever, but the framerate really chugged and the gfx were bad even for the 64. controls sometimes played up too if i remember right. but the game had lots of orginiality, lots of atmosphere, lots of level variety.

speaking of frame rates, i used to love stunt race fx on the snes, the graphics were pretty amazing for the snes but the frame rate was rediculous, yet i still used to play it loads, only had 4 snes games (and no other consoles) at the time though due to being a child.

That EDF game on the 360 is definitely technichally poor. The graphics are extremely cheap looking, the animation is diabolical, as is the voice acting.

But - for a few hours at least - it's brilliantly, ridiculously, fun. The enemies (giant ants, spiders, and enormous robots) add a certain kitch factor to it. It's like playing a cheezy Sci-Fi B-Movie. Taking down whole buildings with a single rocket, and the fact that you normally do more damage to the city in the course of a mission than the invading aliens adds to the silliness.

Unfortunately, single player wears out it's welcome quite quickly. I played about 5-6 hours, completed something like 60 missions, and according to the game I was still less than 25% through the game. The biggest problem being that there's only a couple of different mission types.

I'm sure the local 2 player co-op adds a bit of length to the game. It's a shame it doesn't have online co-op, it could have been amazing.

I found EDF to be extremely tedious after the first fantastic couple of hours.

According to the majority of people who've played, I "just don't get it" but I see an emperor with no pants on.

If they cut the number of missions by about half to avoid the repetetiveness, added online co-op, and sold it as a digital download on XBLA or PSN, it would have been perfect.

• 1 month later...

Add 50cent: BotS to the so bad they are good pile. Finished it one sitting more or less, and there isn't an end. It's pretty shoddy, but there are bits that sparkle. The ragdoll physics on explosion kills is pretty good. It's criminally easy though, even on hard you are not really pressed.

Add 50cent: BotS to the so bad they are good pile. Finished it one sitting more or less, and there isn't an end. It's pretty shoddy, but there are bits that sparkle. The ragdoll physics on explosion kills is pretty good. It's criminally easy though, even on hard you are not really pressed.

You're a better gamer than me. I came across a few tough bits on the hard difficulty, and the checkpoints were a bit iffy in places meaning much replaying to get to where you were. I enjoyed BotS, it's quite obvious that it never meant to take itself seriously.

Spoilers!

The story I think was told quite seriously, but it's so messed up that none of it makes sense. It reminds me of those stories that you used to write a school where you fold the paper over so the person writing the next line is going in blind. It's just makes no sense whatsoever. First your chasing a skull. Then you are after some gold or something. Then the woman who was blackmailed wasn't. Then you kill the dude from the start of the game for some reason. Thats followed by a car chase (of which has the most pointless turret I have ever used) that ends the game without any explanation of WTF just went down. :lol:

End spoilers. Not that it matters because the story is incoherent bollocks.

The ending was a bit confusing. I am sure it would have made sense if that last cutscene hadn't skipped itself but it did so it just felt like they got to a certain point and thought, fuck it, we can't be bothered anymore. Lets just release it. There aren't even any credits. Just, drive for a bit, ram that car! BOOM! Shall we go home? The End. :huh:

We finished it again on the hardest setting with the other option you have when it give you that option to open the shutters. Even with this alternate cutscene the story made little to fuck all sense. We did get credits this time round though, but it had that "I'm a mothafuckin' P.I.M.P." song over the top, so I dubbed my lyrics over the top to "I'm a mothafuckin' C.U.N.T.". Many lols were had.

I forgot to mention that in game Fiddy looks to have been motion captured and modelled on a middle age middle class white man waiting for a bus. Couple this to how he stands when firing weapons is laughable, he stands like he is queueing in the post office to pay in a cheque. His face also looks expressionless and akin to some white man that "blacked up" for a bet. Also worth a mention is one of Fiddy's cohorts who has the worst speech impediment you are ever likely to hear. Every time he shouts "Yeaaaaahhh!" you will think you are been backed up in a firefight by Roland Rat. Possibly one of the most comical games I have ever played.

Also worth a mention is one of Fiddy's cohorts who has the worst speech impediment you are ever likely to hear. Every time he shouts "Yeaaaaahhh!" you will think you are been backed up in a firefight by Roland Rat. Possibly one of the most comical games I have ever played.

Ha ha, I wish someone I know would buy it, I want to mock Fiddy.

• 2 weeks later...