passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Gaming Week thread

Hendo

I keep meaning to go back to God Hand, started it on easy and got my arse handed to me by that moody guy who turns up in the cutscenes early on. I then started a game on the normal setting and beat the big Mexican guy myself but I never went back to it, shiny new games came my way, I must go back to it though because I love every moment I spend on it.

It's the enemies that turn into those demon things that keep getting me. I can get through a fairly long section beating the crap out of everyone, then one of those turns up and my health bar is reduced to almost nothing within seconds. Gah gah gah.

Did a couple of challenges in Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts last week, learnt to play FIFA 09 using PSV Eindhoven for a league I'm in (one of the rules was you had to use a team that has upto a 4 star rating), but spent most of the week with the PSP.

First off it was trying to progress in Prinny! Can I Really Be A Hero?, then I spent a couple of hours with Resistance Retribution which seem's pretty entertaining whilst also suffering from the same sort of problems all 1st and 3rd person shooters suffer from on the system (i.e. the whole analogue nub and no second analogue business), then Phantasy Star Portable came though, which I'm loving.

It's Phantasy Star Universe 1.5 with some added PSOness but not proper online and its incredibly addictive (I put in 10 hours over the weekend, reaching level 32, I'm currently trying to get all my feelings and opinions about it into a review as its out on Friday).

Phantasy Star Portable came though, which I'm loving.

It's Phantasy Star Universe 1.5 with some added PSOness but not proper online and its incredibly addictive (I put in 10 hours over the weekend, reaching level 32, I'm currently trying to get all my feelings and opinions about it into a review as its out on Friday).

I put quite a bit of time into the JP release of PSP and really enjoyed it - I think it is more suited to PSP than it was to PS2/360. I've just played through the 360 version as well so I dont think I'll be picking it up. Might get PSZero on DS later in the year.

Phew! a day off work at flippin last but new to this marlarkey! :D Anyway, I'll my best.

Been thoroughly enjoying starting OBLIVION again - quiet contemplation in one of its beautiful meadows must still rank as one of the most relaxing things to do in games. and also getting more into FALLOUT 3 although its an interesting landscape can easily see it could be a game you could either love or hate - I've reached Paradise Falls where I'm having to buy the slaves to take back to the cave but am desperatley short of caps. Less than an hour after starting it I'd already blown up Megaton & claimed my luxury apartment in Telpenny Tower! :lol: Also enjoying LEGO BATMAN, it seems bigger than Lego Indy but some of the levels can prove more tricky. Of course still enjoying a casual blast on MIRRORS EDGE & PSN demo GTI CLUB.

Will try to update again shortly.

Been a busy week in the land of living like a bum.

The iPhone has been hammered in 5 minute bursts while I get better at Flight Control (59p well spent), Mafia Wars (no money spent, and highly addictive) and Drop7 which finally has an online leaderboard and connects to Facebook.

On the 360 it's been all about Call of Duty 4 as usual, finishing The Maw and Assault Heroes 2 and loving Outrun Online Arcade which is depressing how bad I am at it considering I now find out I've been on the default setting which is the easiest one.

In Wii Town I finished up Eternal Darkness for the 4th time, which has largely been a brilliant experience once again, bar an old fashioned save system. I played Metal Slug for the first time on the VC and it's been surprisingly a lot of fun, and Fatal Fury 2 (both on NeoGeo) which really hasn't and I should've learned by now not to waste my money on fighters.

It's been really good going back to Earthworm Jim for the first time in years but it's much harder than I remember.

Still playing loads of Art Style : Cubello on WiiWare and bought the first Strong Bad episode which so far has been pretty funny, but I got stuck fairly early on and had to consult a guide.

Finally, on the PS2 I've been going through Shadow of the Colossus for the first time proper and it's had a lot of ups and downs, to be fair. Mostly down to camera problems and frustration at falling off such a great height due to the camera or randomly falling off a beast for no apparent reason. On the other hand, it is still a beautiful art style and the word "epic" doesn't come close.

I didnt play as much as usual last week due to OH being off work but I still put in a few hours. Not much changed from last week either.

I finished COD4 - thought it was a good game and loved the bleak ending. Not played any more online yet, but I am sure I will get round to it.

I downloaded Outrun Online Arcade and loved it - I like old style racers and its definatley one of the best. I aint to good at it, but its still great fun.

I finished Banjo & Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. Its not been my favorite game and I think its a game you have to play until done rather than than chop and change between it and other games. It took me a long time to get back into the control method and camera. Still its done now - I dont think I will be achievement whoring on it.

Played Cars with the kids again - and admittedly on my own to get the achievements :)

The only thing I played on my DSi was Fire Emblem again. But even then only now and then. Still not feeling it - and still havent found my Grand Theft Auto card :(

I think I am going to go back and finish Eternal Sonata or maybe try Fallout 3 again this week.

played the mass effect dlc earlier in the week. gash, not even worth 400 points. but midweek i decided to unwrap my copy of fallout 3 that has been sitting in my pile since gamestations 20 quid offer late last year and get stuck in. what a fool i was to put it off! one of the best games ive ever played, eeeeasily. i actually played it for more than 24 hours straight.. >:P

damn i need a job

GTA:CTW has been getting a fair bit of play, such a great game, the drug dealing really makes it, as the winnings for completing mission doesn't really cut it if you want to buy safehouses. Speaking of safe houses, anyone who has this game should buy the one on the island at the top right of the map, as there is some handy body armour that spawns right next to it across the road.

Resistance 2 is still getting played on the Tuesday night with guys from gTM, such a good game when it works. Shame the EXP has been a bit fucked up the last few weeks, it keeps robbing people of their hard earned EXP, but I find it compulsive levelling up when the game allows it.

Mirrors Edge took me two mammoth sittings to finish, it was one of them games that once I started a session, I just couldn't stop. A sequel that sorted out the flaws such as the wall running misfiring occasionally, and the combat not been that much fun would be very welcome. I actually feel bad paying as little as I did for this, as I feel it deserved more.

The XBLA brought me the joys of Outrun Online Arcade last week too, a fantastic game that's easy to dip into or spend hours playing. Shame the online is great, I have yet to race as I get into lobbies that are racing round the world it seems, then they shut as soon as I am ready to take them on. I also hear it is really bad for people dropping out, which is really lame.

A friend of mine state side has been asking me about GoW2. I explained it and she sounded interested, so I told her if she wanted to get into it to go buy the first game and I would complete it with her. Problem is, she is rubbish at games, it took her 4 month to finish CoD:WaW, so I knew I was in for a hard time when we finally started it. GoW revisited with a hardcore casual (as I call her, she is on every night, but fails to finish most games due to being a rubbish) made me want to scream until she got the hang of it. It wasn't just her that made it hard, even on the easiest setting I got killed plenty of times, some were my own fault, some were hers, but it is nowhere as easy as GoW2 on normal, I think that's the thing that most surprised me. One thing I will say though, the garbled story actually makes sense once you know what happens in GoW2, all the minor little things that don't seem relevant all slot into place once you know what's going on. It surprised me that even Skorge was in it (except he didn't have the head dress on, but he was riding the Hydra) which I think a lot of people would have missed. We completed it in two sittings, the fastest she has ever finished a game. I didn't really do all the fighting though, it was mostly her at the end, but I did my fair share of picking her up off the floor everytime they downed her. It's ageing pretty badly imho, if you have not had the chance to play it before now, go do it before it before it becomes even more of a pain to play.

I had a late night session on GTAIV free roaming on the Saturday night, I forgot what a good game it is. Might be one that I play through again in the near future, maybe I will pick up TLAD after and see what all the fuss is about.

Months have passed since a fellow gtm'er sent me the expansion disc for Oblivion, I finally installed them and started them last night. I think I am about halfway though it now, all I can say at this moment is that it is bloody crackers. Some of the stuff that happens is just so random. I really don't know what to expect next.

All I've really played this week is Dargon Quest 5, but it's pretty damn good. It's maybe a bit formulaic as you progress, with the same pattern being repeated with different characters, also the main story is being ignored in favour of loads of sub story shenanigans. But if you're stuk for a DS rpg, and you've played Chrono Trigger, then it's definately worth a look

Well last week was mostly taken up with the awesome Shadow of the Colossus, but I also got in a decent amount of time in Grand Theft Auto IV, which I'm still enjoying for the great atmosphere of the city.

I reached the boss of world 3 in Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, and it's kicking my arse. I may have reached my limit in that game.

And last but by no means least, I started Okami on the PS2, which is charming, funny, and beautiful.

edit: D'oh! How could I forget Outrun Online Arcade?!

Ive been hammering away at Impossible mode on Dead Space, going for scores and times on the ridiculously addictive Outrun Online Arcade, playing Hardwood Backgmammon for some reason, finished off Uno Rush, started adventure mode again on Peggle to try to get more than 20 million and have picked up Viva Piniata again - i forget how much i actually like that game.

The fabulous Outrun Online Arcade is getting much play by me, also chasing scores and times and since I have it on PSN I enjoying sitting just outside the worlds top ten on most courses because PS3 owners are evidently, n00bs. Which if you haven't noticed has beefed up my ego. Also on the PS3 front I've started to get into Valkyria Chronicles, a sort of real-time/turn-based stratagy game. I'm only 5 chapters in but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, nice one again Sega.

GTA4: The Lost and Damned has finally been aquired by myself and I'm a few missions into it, I have to say I'm liking the characters in it, well, I hate them, but I like the way I hate them.

That's it really. Apart from Persona 4, naturally.

Due to my lack of 360, it's been a Wii love in for me. Really enjoying it actually, a nice change of pace and gaming style. My main game on it has been the wonderful Ocarina of Time on VC. Just a stunning experience with so much charm and great gameplay. I think it will be the brilliant Majora's Mask next on the VC front.

Also been playing No More Heroes, which is very fun if a little shallow. The cut scenes before the boss fights are immense. Shame about how dire the graphics can be at points.

Also, been playing some classic multiplayer Wii Sports and Mario Kart. So much fun, tis a shame how much the Wii can become neglected at times when it really is a great little console.

along with rock band 2, halo 3 and persona 4 from last week, this week i've been playing some left 4 dead because of the new content, doing crap at survival, connect 4 (the ai is pants :(), outrun, some shooters (dodonpachi doj bl ex, mushihimesama futari 1.5 and ketsui ds, all good) and guitar hero aerosmith, which isn't as bad as i was expecting, although i was expecting it to be pretty bad.

I have been failing to get any better on Outrun Online Arcade and finishing off (achievement wise - Kelly still likes to drive around getting the other cars to say hello to her :) ) Cars.

I got the Left 4 Dead DLC and played a bit of that - not that keen but I played a bit of the normal game again - still love that!

I tried again with Fallout 3 - I got a bit further than I did last time and yesterday I think I had a gaming epiphany and it all clicked with me. Think this will be this weeks game that I play.

I got Viva Pinata this week and I really like it. Its a bit confusing at times and you always have so much to do, but its fun.

I also fired up Singstar Abba and picked up a few trophies. Including one called 'Oh Well at least you tried' (or similar)

No DS, Wii or PSP stuff this week at all :(

This week Flatout : Ultimate Carnage got a very welcome runout on Xbox Live. This is one of my favourite Live games by far. I even went and completed a couple of rounds in the very hard single player modes.

The new Left 4 Dead Survival mode got some serious hours of play too. It's perfect for a short burst of L4D action, although we ended up playing longer than it would take to complete a couple of campaigns anyway.

I also played a significant chunk of the updated Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay, which is still a great game. The updated visuals look very good, and they've tweaked it a bit; the Pit section, with the tunnel dwellers is now much easier and less frustrating.

After the oppressive, grimey, dirty environment of Butcher Bay, playing Okami is like a long, hot shower and a freshly laundered change of clothes. :) I must have played 4 or 5 hours of this on Sunday, I stopped just after the Ruins dungeon where you fight the Spider Queen. It's an amazing looking game, and so fun and playable.

I've been playing Broken Sword : Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut on DS during my commute to and from work, and I'm quite impressed with the implementation. It works really well.

Oh, and Outrun Online Arcade, obviously.