passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Gaming Week thread

Hendo

Going back to what Ben said about the Play, Want, Bin threads a while ago, I thought it might be worth trying this out.

The idea is to write a little bit about what you've been playing over the past week.

So seeing as it's a Monday (just about), I'll kick it off.

Over the last week I've been trying to get back into Fallout 3 but failing miserably, however I have been moving between my house and a mate's quite a lot, so other than sporadic plays on CoD4 and The Maw, it's mainly been about the Wii and the generic smart phone™.

Had good plays on some old VC chestnuts like Streets of Rage 3 (still awful) and Super Punch-Out!! and a bit more play on Art Style : Cubello on WiiWare, but mostly it's been all about Madworld (which is one of the most violent and stupid, but fun, games I've ever played) and Wii Fit, which surprised me at how much fun it could be.

I also went back to Boom Blox for a bit and cleared up some early gold medals and restarted Eternal Darkness from scratch on the Cube, via the Wii.

Seemingly every 5 minutes I've been booting up Mafia Wars on the phone, which is a browser based text stat RPG thing (I think it's also on Facebook) and I finished 2 types of choose-your-own-adventure-with-videos-kind-of-like-Night-Trap games - one which is ultra cheesy but has a bit of length to it because of the multiple endings and that there's no wrong choice, and one which is super polished and well made but amazingly short. They be Alternate Endings and Hysteria Project, in case you're interested.

Finally, on the PSTriple I played a load of Legends of Wrestlemania which is more fun than I expected it to be, and tried Killzone 2 again from scratch on a lower difficulty level but gave up yet again, because it's arse.

And you?

Almost exclusively Prince of Persia, which no one else really cares about. I had my doubts but by the end i was won over and was even itching for more (might dig out the 2nd two from last gen if I've still got them). Shame it's not still a tenner, but i'd say it was worth £17 or whatever it is now, the DLC is pretty good too, maybe even better than the main game.

On sunday i had some mates round, including Spatular, so we played some finger fucking house of the dead overkill and Boom Blox. Then we got out Rock Band, which is great when you know the songs, me and a mate were swapping with each other depending who knew what. My voice was fucked by the end of it and I now hate Paramore and sick,sick,sick by QotSA. I'm getting better at the guitar though, played a lot of stuff on hard and coped quite well :)

It's been mostly DSi for me lately. I've been playing through Henry Hatsworth and am currently on 3-something. It's a great game but the levels seem a bit too long at times. I think this is because I'm switching to the puzzle section a lot, which in turn pretty much doubles the playtime of each stage.

I have also started Bomberman 2 properly now, and am on the second world of single player. It's really good, you get set missions to do on each stage, take out certain enemies or clear all blocks for example, and then head to the exit. The levels aren't a square like in normal Bomberman, they vary and there's sometimes two or three missions per stage. You collect power-ups throughout which you can equip to your character, earning exp along the way. It's really rather great, and I think I'm the only person on here that has purchased it, which is a great shame.

I haven't played any console stuff really, in a bit of a lull at the moment. I started Oblivion and finished the tutorial sewers section before switching off as it was late. I don't think I'm ready to play an epic game like that right now. I did play lots of private Call of Duty 4 multi last Friday with sibernet though, which was superb fun. I don't see me ever wanting to go back to World at War, and I really regret spending 800 points on the new maps. CoD4 is excellent fun, and I'll be playing with randoms in normal public matches (probably Team Deathmatch) this week if I get the chance.

OutRun on Wednesday!

Been playing, resident evil 5 lately, got the original 1000 achievements, now going for the DLC ones, online player is fun but can be somewhat annoying beccuase when you shoot each other you both stand still and basically a battle of who can pummel bullets into the other person quicker.

also been playing need for speed undercover, held it off actually, until the EA NFS community came on, and also made me wna play it more after i watched fast and the furious. Love my street racing :)

Been playing Dishwasher, loved the game when the XNA first came to xbox, so glad that it became a proper XBLA game, love the gore and guitar bit, bit its so hard!

and lastly, my friend bought a PS2 again, becuase the 360 doesnt have any decent 4 player splitscreen with bots, so been playing timesplitters 2 and mashed.

I started playing GTA IV again. unlocked the final island, just got a few missions to tie up before I start doing stuff over there. This is the first time I've ever gone back to a GTA game after I stop playing for whatever reason, and also the longest I've ever played one of them. I gave up San Andreas after about 30 minutes.

I just finished Gregory Horror Show, which was awesome, and now have now started another from the "great big box of unfinished/unstarted games"; Shadow of the Colossus, which after just one stage already feels epic.

I'm also playing bite sized chunks of King's Bounty: The Legend on PC, which means I'm progressing rather slowly through that.

have now started another from the "great big box of unfinished/unstarted games"; Shadow of the Colossus, which after just one stage already feels epic.

Funny you say that because my plan for this week is to finish Eternal Darkness and then start up SotC again and see if I can get into it this time. I also want to finish up Psychonauts finally.

I completely forgot before that my week has actually been dominated by World of Goo which is by far the best thing to spend Wii Points on.

I have been playing mostly GoW2 over the last few sessions, normally playing on the new maps on Horde, but generally doing whatever people are able to do if they don't have the map packs. Spent a while on public versus too. I didn't come bottom despite playing like an absolute cunt, so I reckon if you have a team that chats and relays info back and forth to each other you should do fine. I'm trying to get good with the shotgun, as it seems to be the weapon of choice online. I just feel smug when I manage to sneak up on someone and chainsaw them, as I know most people hate it. I also managed to finish it on Insane with one of the guys for gâ„¢. We encountered so many bugs I thought we were never going to be able to finish it.

Professor Layton has finally been finished, I doubt I will be going back to it, as the puzzles that are left are just too comlicated for my poor brain to work out.

World Of Goo I keep chipping away at, I really should sit and have a proper session at it, but I only seem to play it in 30 minute chunks.

Cod4 was started and finished last week, an enjoyable FPS where I actually enjoy the story.

Resistance 2 Tuesdays are a highlight of the week. A group of us get together on the Tuesday night and do the co-op missions. There has been problems with the levelling up, but hopefully it has been sorted.

Loco Roco is currently been played at work on breaks or where I am waiting for stuff to dry. It looks amazing. It sounds amazing. Only problem is that it feels quite the chore to play now, not a patch on the 1st time I experienced it. I was thinking about picking up the 2nd one if I really enjoyed this this time round, but I don't think I will bother now.

Man, I play a lot of games. :o

I finished up the offline story mode of Phantasy Star Universe - I never bothered with the last chapter on the PS2 version but those 400Gs were too tempting :)

I started playing COD4 - I dont think I am enjoying it as much as some people have but it is good game. The storyline and the immersiveness of it is great - Im just not that keen on first person shooters.

I bought the DLC for Banjo & Kazooie - played a bit of that - remembered why I had given up on it - its just too uncontrollable for me - and I havent got the imagination or drive to build amazing vehicles. I got the 75 jiggies to get through the final door and I then had to do some stupid challenge for L.O.G. which just fucked me off so I turned it off in a rage. :blush:

I also got Cars for me and the kids to play through. They love it. Its OK. A bit clunky and I think it lets you win a lot of the time. Still I expext its a lot better than some of the kiddie crap out there.

On the DSi I have been slogging through Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. I cant get into this one like I have done with all the other (released) FE's. Too many characters too quickly I think.

Also GTA:CTW which I have put the game card down somewhere and have no idea where. Enjoyed what I have played so far.

edit:For some reason I put GTA San Andreas instead of Chinatown Wars. Idiot.

I started playing COD4 - I dont think I am enjoying it as much as some people have but it is good game. The storyline and the immersiveness of it is great - Im just not that keen on first person shooters.

The single player is very good, but it's the multi that's where the love comes from.

On sunday i had some mates round, including Spatular, so we played some finger fucking, house of the dead overkill and Boom Blox.

No kidding?!

On a seperate and altogether cleaner note, I am still to get into Gregory horror show, I don't really understand what to do?!

SotC was amazing as far as I played it, I think only 2 or 3 bosses though, I got really stuck and refused to look on gamefaqs.... I should have caved in and get it finished.

^ no comment on the first point. but about gregory horror show, i sort of had the same problem and only got anywhere in it using a guide, and it got a bit boring just following the guide so i gave up, judgment boy is awesome though. I think your supposed to investigate/follow/spy on the guests with out them seeing you and from that you find out how to exploit their weaknesses or something??? it relies on you having to be in the right place at the right time a bit too much for me.

this last week i've been playing rock band and halo 3 as always. started rythm tenguku gold again and got past where i was stuck, now stuck again on the 3'rd remix, great game, if a bit frustrating. and still playing persona 4, pretty far in now, i really like it when the plot kicks in and the turn based combat is good but there's a lot of time spent doing fairly boring stuff inbetween, i'm usually nearly at the point of giving up just before something interesting happens, then i'm glued to it again.

I've been dabbling in a few games lately. GTA4 was finally finished, Where I picked it up again was just as it was getting interesting again and I found myself really enjoying it, just a well focused example of sandboxing. Rock Band 2 is constantly being played but I think it will be given a rest soon. The only songs I can't manage very well are the metal songs and I don't think I'll ever be able to do them, I occasionally scrape through them but I can't say I have fun in the process, when it comes to the drums the metal thing applies again but I also can't seem to do anything that involves quickly rolling on the hi-hat (Everlong, Teenage Riot e.g). Dishwasher is the final thing on the 360, it's just a 2D scrolling beat'em'up with a combo system taken from modern examples of the genre, pretty damn fun if a little hard, looks nice too.

Killzone 2 was also completed over the long weekend, overall I thought it was pretty good but I can't decide whether Nico or Rico or whoever was one of the worst characters devised or the best. Essentially an unlikeable moron but the fact that he is your superior in a questionable war does seem familiar from somewhere, he brings out a healthy sense of hopelessness.

After finishing Madworld my Wii has seen a ressurection with me, Art Style: Cubello offers up a little puzzle action for me and World of Goo has been played alot, I thought I'd finished it but there are levels in the epilogue section too, I failed it but I think I know whet to do so I'll be playing that more. I don't think I've mentioned how fucking good I think Goo is. I've also just started LoZ: Majora's Mask on the VC too. If I'm honest I'm struggling with it, I keep missing things because I have a terrible memory and the fact that you have a time limit makes me go all panicky, I think I'll have to go through it with a little notebook, making little notes of who says/wants what and when/why.

But all that other stuff was done with a spare hour here or there over the month because most of my allocated gaming time has been on Persona 4 which is just an incredible game. I'll leave it at that.

That's a few games too, safe to say there are some friends and family that haven't seen me in a while. I should maybe show my face around one day.

Yay for Gregory Horror Show love. Its not that hard, i didnt think a guide was needed.

Ive been playing mainly Dead Space, gets better the deeper you get into the game.

Banjo DLC was downloaded and promptly hammered, i thought it was brilliant.

ChronoTrigger is still getting 5 mins here and there, ive been playing for months and im still only 10 hours in! I love it though, just in bite size chunks.

Going back to Viva Piniata and Ninety Nine Nights after ive pummled a bit of Dead Space and then i really need a well overdue Wii spell - will get De Blob and Nad World for my bday so there's no excuses.

Oh, and Gears 2 with Hendo if my misses ever fucks off.

This thread is great, but I can see the impressions folders becoming underused now.

I started Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars today, on DS. I never played it back in the mid-nineties, so it's all nice and fresh for me. Being the director's cut, it features a different beginning or something. I can see it being well suited to the Professor Layton crowd, they've even added a hint system where it gives you up to three clues if you get stuck. The main game plays on the bottom screen, with fresh new artwork by whoever created the Watchmen on the top. There's no voice acting like the Wii has, but I think this should be the platform of choice for this type of game. It's very good so far, and extremely well suited to the DS.

This week ive been mostly playing....

Resident Evil 5 (360), im on level 5-3 i think, playing this on co-op with a friend and its great fun, although would prefer to be able to shoot and move at the same time, sometimes its very frustrating!

Also playing Burnout Dominator on the PSP which is fun, although it doesn't recapture the burnout feeling i hoped it would but its not bad, need to find somemore PSP games for the train!

Also playing SkiJumpLite i think its called on the Iphone, its where you jump as far as possible from a ski jump, keeping the marker in the blue then the green to land, so far im on 158.75 while my boss hit a 159.65 today, so i need to improve to challenge him!!

i've been playing decorating my shop 2, it took a lot longer to finish than the first one, but it was a lot more fun, had some 6 player multiplayer on it on saturday all day which was ace, though after drinks on sat night the sunday session was a bit of a slog

also bango kazooie nuts and bolts, it's taken me a little bit to get into it,but after getting my high grip wheels and bolting an extra engine onto the first racer you get it's become a lot of fun,think i'll be spending a lot of time with this

battlefield bad company, this is fun, feels like an arcade game,when you die the game doesn't end,you just get moved back on the map and respawn, which is nice. also the multi is ace, bit like headquarters in cod4,though one team is the attackers,and one the defenders. the attacking team has to blow up the gold,thats basically it, and its a lot of fun,though pretty tricky to learn for a noob ....like me!

zack and wiki, old school,point and click mind bending fun, awesome

okami, still having issues with this game,just can't seem to get into it, though i'll persevere

Great thread. I've been playing ...

God Hand - PS2 - Playing this on normal or medium or whatever they've called the default difficulty setting and I'm either crap or this is one tough game. I'm on chapter 2 having finally beaten the fat, cigar smoking boss at the end of the first chapter. The combo linking gameplay is just superb and I love how you can buy new moves and edit your combo sequence. Laugh out loud funny in parts and endearingly quirky. Love it love it love it. Has anyone here finished this?

Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversay, Capcom Puzzle World, Wipeout Pulse - PSP - Went to Bournemouth for the weekend with the other half and these kept us busy on the coach, wi-fi stylee. She consistently owns me on Puzzle Fighter :(

Street Fighter IV - 360 - It's a bumpy ride with Dhalsim, but I just can't stop playing ranked matches. Decided it was high time I unlocked all the characters too, so made a start by completing arcade mode with C Viper to unlock buns out Cammy.

Battle Fantasia - 360 - Pretty much rinsed this now, bar the combo achievements and ranked match achievements. So 'playing' this mostly consists of creating an online match and doing something else less boring instead while my 360 cooks itself to a slow death.

Dead Space - 360 - Just started this. Played the first chapter. Very atmospheric, but not grabbing me as much as I'd hoped. I'll stick with it though.

I've also just started Mana Khemia on the PSP and GTA: Chinatown Wars. My new MO is to mke a start on games as they arrive rather than leave them sitting in the stupidly tall waiting-to-be-played pile. So now instead of piles of unplayed games, I'll have piles of barely started games. I don't know why I think this is a good idea.

I keep meaning to go back to God Hand, started it on easy and got my arse handed to me by that moody guy who turns up in the cutscenes early on. I then started a game on the normal setting and beat the big Mexican guy myself but I never went back to it, shiny new games came my way, I must go back to it though because I love every moment I spend on it.

This thread is great, but I can see the impressions folders becoming underused now.

That's why it's what you have been playing, rather than what you are playing. :)

There is a point to this, whether it works or falls flat on its arse is a different matter, but it'll all become clear.