passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Anime Thread

DANGERMAN

Psycho Pass is good, I've not seen anyone mention that yet.

I was/am a big fan of Food Wars (beware, there are some very suggestive scenes. Nothing outright explicit, but things you might cringe at from time to time).

Isn't Inazuma 11 meant to be good, too?

Also, Rosie LOVES Nana. It's a drama series based around two girls called Nana who end up as roommates. It's hard to get hold of - I ended up streaming it through the Firestick - but it's definitely worth a watch if you like Slice of Life stuff.

15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

MY personal Faves though

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Laputa

nice choices my favorites are the same except id swap laputa for kiki’s.

yeah psycho pass is really good, especially the first season imo.

edit - some others i really like are silver spoon and planetes, oh and the films your name and a silent voice, most people already seen or heard of your name i guess.

Since it’s been coming up a bit I’ve decided to right a wrong and watch the Ghibli films. Started with

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Never gets mentioned when people talk about Ghibli so wasn’t expecting much. Actually liked it a lot though. Bit too long and a bit too twee at times (which is a concern with these films in general from what little I’ve heard) but a lot to enjoy here. The sword master guy was as cool as they built him up to be, wish he was in it more. Especially liked the Metal Slug designs of the ships and tanks as well. Mental to think they were making films about the price of human pollution 40 years ago and we’ve still not done much in the mean time too. 

Overall, off to a good start. 

9 hours ago, mfnick said:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Yeah that's a great one. The accompanying manga is great as well, they do a great job of expanding our that whole world.

I'm not sure if Netflix have it in the Ghibli collection as it isn't technically a Ghibli film, but Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro is also great, a really funny crime caper and has aged pretty well

Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are the ones that are universally gushed over. But that is for good reason. Ponyo and My Neighbour Totoro are fun but weird. A second recommendation for Lupin III, too.

For some reason I thought that Wicked City was Ghibli for a moment. But.. it really isn't.😅 

Its the Anime i first fell in love with. 

Cyber city oedo 808

Ad police

Mad Bull 34

Golgo 13

Urotsukidoki

F. O. T. N. S

Gratuitous, badly dubbed to suit an edgy dynamic, and hand drawn animation. 

The Animation to me is what drew me to it so much, it justt had a charm to it computer animation cant capture. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still making my way through Demon Slayer, finished up Season 3 (or 2 part 2?) last night (Entertainment District Arc) which has exhausted all the episodes I can watch on Netflix. The fight sequences are absolutely amazing in this show, just so bloody good, I found the build up a bit slow this season though, especially compared to the first season and Mugen Train which got to the good stuff quickly.

Season 3 (or 4?) - Swordsmith Village Arc -  is exclusive to Crunchyroll so I signed up for the 75 day free trial with my Game Pass sub. Watching about 2 episodes a night in bed so should get through it relatively quickly, I'm then going to dip a toe into One Piece and plan to watch a lot of that if I like it. Definitely want to go back and watch Attack on Titan at some point too, only got a few episodes in when it was on Netflix and loved it.

Finished off Demon Slayer last night, I kind of feel diminishing returns with it as its gone on but overall I really enjoyed it. The battle sequences are by far and away the highlight though, I love how earnest and sincere Tanjiro & co are, there's a lot of heart in the show.

Not sure when S5 will be out but I'll be there. Now to make a start on One Piece, hoping to get S1 done by the time I fly to Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 48 episodes into One Piece now, the Arlong Park mini-arc has been the highlight of this season so far, just a fantastic 15 episodes or however many there were. Fantastic action sequences, some real emotional moments and great depth to Nami's character.

Just the whole story of that island was really sad and the whole redemption of it by the Straw Hat Pirates was super cool to see.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One Piece is getting an anime remake, starting again from the very beginning. I dunno where that leaves the current running anime. Sounds like a sort of FMA Brotherhood situation, where when the manga was about to end they did a new series of it with faster (maybe too fast) pacing.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/latest/2023/12/17/the-one-piece-remake-anime-wit-studio

I watched half of original FMA and a little less than that of Brotherhood. While it was cool Brotherhood was closer to the source material, the story telling and development just seemed better served by the 2003 take. I bet there'll be a similar division over which OP is better