passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New phone time!

Manicm

On 15/09/2023 at 16:49, DisturbedSwan said:

Just done the o2 switch up thing, have to send my current phone off within 2 weeks of getting my new one on/around the 22nd.

Went with the Natural Titanium 15 Pro, I did consider the Pro Max for awhile with the 5 x zoom, but not worth the added cost just for that I thought.

I may try out the new Samsung Ultra S24(?) next May or whenever it releases, give it 3 months or so, I do fancy a refresh sometime soon but its a ball ache being so ingrained into an ecosystem now.

So do you basically never own a phone? Like you’re just constantly renting one that you can change up?

52 minutes ago, mmmark said:

So do you basically never own a phone? Like you’re just constantly renting one that you can change up?

I guess? But I was doing that anyway every 2 years, the difference now is that I'm doing it over a shorter period of time. Even then I'm probably not going to switch every 3 months, more like once or maybe twice a year at most.

We'll see how this one goes on Friday.

Wowsers. It has set me off wanting a new phone though. An iPhone 14 direct from apple is £30 a month for 2 years 0% Apr, that would bring my monthly phone cost to £43 a month, but I could probably lower my O2 SIM only contract down a bit as well, or move to someone else

9 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I guess? But I was doing that anyway every 2 years, the difference now is that I'm doing it over a shorter period of time. Even then I'm probably not going to switch every 3 months, more like once or maybe twice a year at most.

We'll see how this one goes on Friday.

No I mean normally after 2 years you own that phone and can sell it to fund the next or go sim only. £73pm and you don’t get anything out of it after a period of time is crazy expensive. You could probably have an iPhone 15 Pro contract for that and ownership after 24mths.

@Jimbo Xiii I’d go pro or pro max for the dynamic island. It’s genuinely worth it. 

14 hours ago, mmmark said:

You could probably have an iPhone 15 Pro contract for that and ownership after 24mths.

That £73pm is for a 24 month iPhone 15 Pro contract, I would own it after 2 years if I kept it for that long. Roughly £40 of that is for the 'device plan' and then £33 is the airtime bill.

The cost is expensive, but I've always paid around the same really so it hasn't really ever changed, had new iPhones since 2009 which have never been great price/tariff-wise (and a 4-6 year stint on Android where I got the latest Samsung Galaxy - and a shitty Sony Xperia one year -). As long as it doesn't go up significantly from that I know I can afford it if that makes sense. The phone part is only £40 a month then £33 for the airtime part.

Paid my huaweip30 off over a year ago, still works perfectly. 

Have no intention in getting back into the upgrade cycle. 

Absolute ripoff, monthly sim contract is £11 a month. 

If when mine needs replacing will either go 2nd hand or a cheap new model and buy outright. 

As much as I’d love to be disciplined enough to do that, I love getting a new phone every other year (I guess every year or twice a year now lol), new tech just makes my wallet open like nothing else haha, similar to @regemond phones are one area where I’m happy to spend more.

Anyway, it’s here! Delivered by o2 earlier today, lovely jubly.

IMG_3380.jpeg

I see the phone thing as it being something I use for multiple hours a day every single day.  I keep in touch with people,  I adhd doom scroll. I use it for ai conversations with certain people.

£68 per month is a lot of money, but I can afford it in the long run,  and I cut back in other areas to make sure I don't end up in a net loss (eg I can't remember the last new,  full price game I bought).

Some people buy bikes.  Some love cars.  Others are lego fans.  I like phones...

It’s not that people like things they like I was questioning. It’s that you pay and have nothing to call your own. Or at least Tom makes it sound like if he keeps his iPhone it’s his after two years. But if you switch does it essentially reset the clock? Asking for a friend!

Yeah it resets the clock.  It's a really simple way for a network to keep you locked in for an indefinite length of time. 

I can upgrade my phone every three years, or I can get a new toy every 90 days (realistically, more like every 6 months to a year).

You don't have to go for the high end contracts, either. £40 a month will get you a samsung s23. Not top of the range,  but if you're currently an iPhone user it's a good way to try the other ecosystem. 

I sound like a rep now,  and I'm really not trying to.  I just appreciate the advantages of it,  while not really caring that I'm perennially locked in to o2.

Really does depend on your use, as someone who only uses 3 or 4 aps and no social medua or gaming anything insane is a waste of money. 

But for those who enjoy the gadgets then go for it. 👍

I  briefly went back to a dumb phone for about 9 months throughout the year. Only reasons for going back to my old smart phone were

Whatsap

Banking/parking aps

Camera

And only really the banking / parking aps that swung it for me to go back. 

Its trained me out of the habbit of picking up my phone needlessly to while away time, I like not being beholden to the phone and way more aware of whats going on around me. Quite happily go out and leave it at home. Maybe im just keen to recapture living in the 90s though😂

The problem is these fucking things are so keenly integrated into society in a way that makes it difficult to not have one

I was at Dublin Airport and past US preclearance on Saturday when my phone wouldn't turn on. Fuck, oh what a cunt, how the shite am I going to get from the airport to my hotel cause I sure as fuck don't want to flag down random taxi drivers outside the pick up zone. No, I need uber or a certain app that at least makes the driver somewhat verifiable

Eventually it turned on, got my uber, but my fear was proven accurate I feel by my coworker who paid 160 dollars for a random dude who worked PHL security to drive him to the hotel. Apparently cause it was a busy night, the dude said, but that sounded like some real horseshit to me. I told him to install Uber ahead of time but the dude is like the Irish version of Och, contrarian to the extreme. Well, his wallet is a lot lighter now

Still kind of p*sses me off that whilst we're becoming increasingly dependent upon phones for ticketing purposes, e-payment, banking, and socials/ents etc, if you use all those then your battery dies in 12 hrs or less - meaning the need to charge on the go or carry an external battery pack.