passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

As a digital ps owner I'm probably the opposite in that I want to rewatch my Twin Peaks blurays but don't actually have a player for them.

Would probably use my PS more often if it did.

One thing that really sucks about digital ownership of movies is that they can disappear quite easily. Either due to rights being rescinded or changing hands, which your SOL to do anything about because you agreed to those terms and conditions, or cause you moved country (same).

Thankfully this aspect of DRM hasn't been a problem as much on the video game side with Steam/PSN et al. yet

(partly I suppose it's due to how they can patch out elements of games which require rights to be re-evaluated, like the Michael Jackson songs in Vice City)

2 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

Wider than digital vs physical is whether they are really trying to phase out single game 'ownership', by the industry probably preferring an ongoing subscription based model (and this would likely be the same for movies too).

I'm not sure if this would work, considering there'd be no other income for developers other than what the platform holder pays them. If anything it would most likely severely limit the game lineup available on this subscription-only system and it'll only be worthwhile for a studio if they have alternate platforms to sell their games on. In the movie space it, well, 'works' because they also have cinema tickets and Blurays to sell. And even then it's hardly everyone's favourite distribution model, see current strikes and all that.

I think in that respect we can rest easy, but digital-only is bad enough with those walled-garden ecosystems where the manufacturer of the product can dictate everything from release timing, to price, to every little detail defining what they call 'ownership' and beyond.

11 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Although no mention of tension triggers? That’s a shame. 

It's only a shame if they could make it that they don't feel brittle as fuck and that they're going to snap at any given moment... Otherwise it's no great lose in my mind.

2028 for a brand new console release? that sounds more than believable and to be fair with how long it's felt like for this generation to actually get going I'd be fairly happy with that.

Yeah all digital is not good. I dont like it. Some nice improvements in other areas like the controller noise and haptic feedback, the xbox controllers are great but man they (specifically the dpad) make a lot of noise! Hope they stick with AA compatibility.

I saw talk online of an Xbox Pro, presumably it's just this, which seems like it's effectively just a less functional Series X? 

I can understand why some people have gone digital only, I've walked back from that on consoles. It's funny, I've been digital only on pc for the better part of 20 years (Steam is 20, so maybe 18 years?), and I don't give it much thought, but I don't trust the console manufacturers. Easy to see why, they keep closing their stores, and they're a walled garden, you have no choice with digital only consoles 

For Microsoft in particular, this might be a sign that they've given up on catching PlayStation, so rather than make more money than them, take more of the money they make than them. Digital only means a giant cut, it also means more people on Game Pass, so a subscription fee regularly coming in 

39 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I saw talk online of an Xbox Pro, presumably it's just this, which seems like it's effectively just a less functional Series X? 

Yeah, this is more like an Xbox Amateur. The only thing is does better than current Series X is a downhill rolling contest when put on its side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of new stuff, but I think they said as much beforehand. Still, out of all the games they've shown there were only two I would never play, that's a good quota in my book.

Spirit of the North 2, which was one of the new announcements, looks really nice I think: