passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

How does the closure of the storefront affect your ability to redownload something you've already once purchased ?

If you can still download things you've once bought then surely they're just switching off the storefront (which could, potentially, be relaunched whenever) - but if you can't even download previous purchases too then it really sucks .

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Does anyone here know how that works?

You need to do it from the Xbox app. Just search the game and it gives you the option to install. I use it all the time. 

IMG_4499.png

2 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

If you can still download things you've once bought then surely they're just switching off the storefront

Yea they’ve already confirmed you’ll be able to access previous purchases. 

So that's sort of weird the - in so much as all the games must still be there for previous purchasers to download - but they effectively just switch off the storefront that allows any new purchases?

I guess the admin fees (& associated legal arrangements) of running the storefront means it just no longer financially viable for them to do so.

I read somewhere it might be because of security, that it becomes harder to upgrade legacy systems to modern standards.

I don't actually know why that would be though, or anything about payment security protocols. But on the face of it it's an explanation with some sense I suppose. Though I bet they could get it working if they really wanted to, and it seems like they don't

Suppose this is sort of where it's more tricky with a console archive of games that you can't just get a generic all encompassing 'gog.com', as each archive would need to be MS, Sony and/or Nintendo compatible etc and adapted to run on whatever hardware is current (although I'd guess some sort of emulator / running via cloud might get around that - but might not be suitable for everything?).

Pretty certain all of the games that are disappearing aren't backwards compatible with Xbox One/Series and you'd need a 360 rigged up to play them... who still has one of those laying around? (and for how much longer if you have?😂)

47 minutes ago, Nag said:

Pretty certain all of the games that are disappearing aren't backwards compatible with Xbox One/Series and you'd need a 360 rigged up to play them... who still has one of those laying around? (and for how much longer if you have?😂)

I think that's the crux of the matter, otherwise they would have gotten integrated into the Xbox One/Series storefront ages ago.

I wonder how accurate the list is, though. Just from a glance I noticed Crimson Dragon appearing on there, which is an Xbox One game and therefore going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

You need to do it from the Xbox app. Just search the game and it gives you the option to install. I use it all the time. 

Nice, thanks. I'm one of those old-school people without a smartphone but I'm sure I can find a way to make this work through some other device.

the concession:

Microsoft is restructuring its proposed Activision Blizzard deal to transfer cloud gaming rights for current and new Activision Blizzard games to Ubisoft. The transfer of rights is designed to appease regulators in the UK that are concerned about the impact Microsoft’s proposed $68.7 billion deal will have on cloud gaming competition. The restructured deal has triggered a new regulatory investigation in the UK that could last until October 18th.

“To address the concerns about the impact of the proposed acquisition on cloud game streaming raised by the UK Competition and Markets Authority, we are restructuring the transaction to acquire a narrower set of rights,” says Microsoft president Brad Smith. “This includes executing an agreement effective at the closing of our merger that transfers the cloud streaming rights for all current and new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years to Ubisoft Entertainment SA, a leading global game publisher. The rights will be in perpetuity.”

This restructured deal means that if Microsoft does close its proposed acquisition, then it will not be able to release Activision Blizzard games exclusively on Xbox Cloud Gaming. Microsoft won’t be able to exclusively control the licensing terms of Activision Blizzard games on rival services, either. Instead, Ubisoft will control the streaming rights to Activision Blizzard games outside of the EU and license titles back to Microsoft to be included in Xbox Cloud Gaming.

• 3 weeks later...

Tokyo-Game-Show-Hero-585796853ffed30c7945.jpg

The Xbox Digital Broadcast will be returning to Tokyo Game Show on September 21 at 6 pm JST / 9 am UTC / 2 am PDT. Tokyo Game Show represents a special time each year where we share news and updates on games that we hope will delight Xbox fans in Japan and across Asia.

Players can expect to hear progress updates from Xbox and Bethesda Softworks and see a creatively diverse collection of games from creators predominantly located in Japan and across Asia. We’ll also share exciting new games coming to Xbox Game Pass, which continues to grow with great content from teams all around Asia.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/09/07/xbox-tokyo-game-show-2023/

GI.Biz: Xbox Series S and X UK sales jumped 76% on Starfield launch

Bethesda's RPG and the new 1TB Series S model delivered the best week of 2023 so far for Xbox console sales

The launch of Starfield and a new version of the Xbox Series S significantly boosted sales of Microsoft consoles.

GfK data reveals that Xbox Series S and X sales jumped 76% week-on-week for the seven days ending September 2nd.

GfK games boss Dorian Bloch says that the week is the biggest this year (so far) for Xbox Series S and X hardware sales in the UK. Meanwhile, the week ending September 9th is currently the second best week.

This was partially due to the launch of the new Xbox Series S 1TB edition, which accounted for 24% of all Xbox consoles sold during that week. The new version of Xbox Series S is roughly £50 more expensive than the standard Series S model.

But the jump in Xbox console sales was also due to the launch of Starfield. The Bethesda game officially launched on September 6th, but it was available on September 1st to those who were willing to pay for the Premium Edition. As a result, the standard Xbox Series X console posted a 46% increase in sales for the week ending September 2nd in the UK.

"It is currently the best week this year for Series X," Bloch says. "And the following week [ending September 9th] is the fourth best for X. In-between is week one and week six, which were early year blips."

Bloch says that the Xbox consoles overall had a decent showing for the week ending September 9th, with the new Series S 1TB model accounting for 20% of sales.

It follows a slow year for Xbox hardware sales, which up until the end of August was down nearly 23% year-to-date in the UK.

Xbox Mastercard

Mastercard-Hero-5555ba450b2c6858aa24.jpg

• Xbox & Microsoft – Earn 5x card points on eligible products at the Microsoft Store.  
  • Streaming Services – Earn 3x card points on eligible streaming services like Netflix® and Disney+®. 
  • Dining Delivery Services – Earn 3x card points on eligible dining delivery services like Grubhub® and DoorDash®. 
  • Everyday purchases – Earn 1x card points on all other everyday purchases. 

According to additional documents that came out during the FTC trials, meaning they're most likely legit, Microsoft is going to release a new controller with Gyro, haptic feedback etc. next year, and a Series X revision with 2TB and no disc drive around this time in 2025.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/23880111/microsoft-xbox-series-x-new-design-refresh

Pushing the digital-only idea mid-gen through a refresh is such a horrible idea, and I don't just say that because I'm against it by principle. A lot of publishers will start wondering whether or not to press discs anymore if only one (by then discontinued) SKU of three can even read them.

The controller is cool, but I hate everything about that new system, including the Alexa design.

Wider than digital vs physical is whether they are really trying to phase out single game 'ownership', by the industry probably preferring an ongoing subscription based model (and this would likely be the same for movies too).

Suppose this is the thing with multiformat gaming - what's the use of all owning all those PS1, GC and UMD etc discs once you've no hardware to play them on anyway (aside from eventually selling them on to retro collectors).