passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Achievements don't work on the Xbox offline for one thing, it should do a check when going back online but I don't hold much hope of that working too well... trophies work I think but they'll be missing the timestamp.

Don't have too much of a comment on the ongoing wranglings over the Anti-Trust ABK, I agree with what @DANGERMAN and @one-armed dwarf have been saying overall. I think some fanboy rose-tinted glasses have been coming into the equation from parts of the internet, Ponies cheering on the anti-trust folks and Xbots cheering on the acquisition and hoping for many more in the future. 

I truthfully don't think this deal is in the best interests of anyone, Microsoft like to make out they're this plucky underdog in the gaming sphere but Microsoft, as a company, (as Ben said) is one of the biggest in the world, it's a behemoth, they're anything but an underdog, even if Sony is a market leader (wouldn't that be Nintendo at the moment?) in the gaming sphere.

Game Pass is a truly brilliant innovation and a way for Microsoft to level the playing field and disrupt the gaming industry as we know it. Is it actually making anything though? When you consider D+ and Netflix have millions more subscribers and are still losing money, I really doubt it's making anything at the moment, it's trying to gain them market share to be on top again soon, perhaps as early as the next generation.

Personally, I think it would suck if PS players didn't get to play future CoDs after 3 years or so, likewise I also think it sucks that XB players won't get to play FFXVI (for the first year anyway?) but the situation is different in that PS & Square have made an exclusivity deal (which MS can do as well) whereas this level of acquisition is beyond Sony's finances and is kind of a short-cut to try to gain a leg up, that's how I judge it at least.

I really don't think any of these size of acquisitions sets a very good precedent for the future. I know I don't want every independent developer suddenly owned by one of the big 3 console manufacturers and I think, neither should you. If this goes through, what's to stop Microsoft buying EA and making FIFA exclusive? They've already said the other day they're looking at future acquisitions. 

I've got both consoles so it won't affect me personally, but I would still like to play CoD with the DualSense rather than XBX Controller if given the choice.

On another note, it's cool that you can finally boot games offline on Xbox.

There’s far too much gravitas being given to cod just because it sells a lot atm. It could quite quickly change.

If cod ever became Xbox exclusive you’d see a just as good if not better ps fps exclusive clone come out faster than you can say Xbox will never outsell PlayStation ever again. People would easily move on to an alternative.

CoD ain’t shit.

On a serious note, this is another example of me being totally out of touch with the mainstream. Out of all recent acquisitions and firesales, the ActiBlizz deal is by far the worst and most boring IMO. Yet it’s by far the biggest monetary and company size wise. Apart from Tony Hawks which was a remaster and the recent Crash stuff they haven’t released anything I’ve been interested in for years.

More games on Game Pass the better as far as I’m concerned. But apart from that I really don’t give a fuck about this acquisition at all. I’d have been a lot more excited if MS scooped in and bought all those Square Enix companies which got sold off. Now that would have been something to talk about. 

4 minutes ago, mfnick said:

More games on Game Pass the better as far as I’m concerned. But apart from that I really don’t give a fuck about this acquisition at all. I’d have been a lot more excited if MS scooped in and bought all those Square Enix companies which got sold off. Now that would have been something to talk about. 

I wouldn’t say it’s boring but I agree with this.

I always thought they were going to buy Sega. That was a heavy rumour for a long time 

9 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

image.png

I suppose it could change quickly, but it's been the biggest annual series in gaming for 15 years, and Warzone suggests that isn't changing any time soon

My point being if it became Xbox only you won’t get millions buying Xbox because of the deal. There’s nothing super special about the series it’s just the most well known go to fps.

I don’t mean it’s rubbish. Just that it’s easily replaceable over time. 

I’m tired tho so probably talking out of my arse. 

It's interesting that Andrew Wilson climbed out of his Scrooge moneypool to say that he's in favour of the deal because it would make Battlefield bigger in the long run. Which I guess makes sense and also is the reason why I think the Bethesda purchase was a bigger deal for Microsoft (and a bigger loss for Sony) than Activision. Yes, their games don't sell remotely as much but nobody else does them like this. Sony right now is simply looking at the monetary loss despite claiming being the players' advocate, but those same players losing access to Starfield, future TES games, id stuff and so on is a significantly bigger blow I think, at least for the more engaged crowd that goes beyond the pure mainstream space (CoD, FIFA and maybe GTA). And yet there wasn't even remotely as much pressure against that deal, if any at all.

The Square Enix stuff keeps coming up but it's not the same thing. As shitty as the FF exclusivity deal is, at least Square can do whatever they want with other projects and is arguably the strongest publisher on Switch right now (IMO even before Nintendo). They obviously wouldn't do that if they were wholly integrated in either Sony's or MS' machinery, so if it's an either/or choice, I'd still rather have the shitty timed exclusivity deal because it leaves other projects free to roam the lands of multiplat.

Another thing with SE is getting bought by Sony is they'd lose Japan quite a lot.  I don't know the specifics but console games have been on a downward trajectory for a while there and it's only the Switch doing numbers.  That could change as the availablity and cost of the PS5 changes but it maybe wouldn't be the best idea for their homeland at least.  Not that I think SE has had a big hit on the Switch but I'd imagine the frequent modest projects on their are keeping the wolf from the door.

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-ceo-very-confident-activision-blizzard-acquisition-will-be-approved

"If this is about competition, let us have competition“

Ayye that’s what I’m saying

I think the most interesting bit of the article is that he rates Xbox as #4 or #5 in the market. So Apple and Steam maybe? But he also rates PlayStation as #1. If he were including Apple then surely they’d be #1.

Not sure but interesting anyway. Maybe he’s just trying to downplay Xbox to help the deal go through