passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

56 minutes ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

Think box.co.uk does Klarna as well?

Nah I’ve had a look now and it’s just these 3. I should have said it’s the all access offer I’m after, not just getting a console alone on credit.

That last retailer, 4gadgets, is odd because all it sells is used goods ? 

5 hours ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I think the Xbox eco-system deserves more credit than it receives.

A few of my gaming group played Sea of Thieves , and a fourth player, who doesn't own an xbox, and no longer has a graphics card up to scratch was moaning because he couldn't join.

We convinced him to revive his Gamepass account and he signed in via Chrome and streamed the game flawlessly through his laptop. No download at all. It even carried over the save info from when he previously played it on a PC.

And as Nag said, the upgrade is worth it for the features alone. I tried playing a base PS4 around a friends house the other day. Nah. Xbox easily edges past the PS5 for me now, FPS boost is a game changer for some games, the quick resume works better and Gamepass is still the best value for money in gaming. The upgrade process for games is handled far better than Sony's laughable effort (looking at you, FF7).

It also hasn't crashed once, unlike the PS5 which has had several moments where it has to be turned off at the mains, and frequently has cloud synching issues with save games, which after losing all my progress in Returnal, makes me nervous.

The first three paragraphs I completely agree with, pretty amazing stuff and something Sony could definitely do better if they adopted a similar ‘platform’ approach for PS like Microsoft do with Xbox. Xbox is more than a console whereas PS isn’t really. 

It remains to be seen for me about the rest, I’ve only had my XSX just over a week and am still forming my thoughts around it before I type it all out. As someone who doesn’t tend to play older games all that often the FPS boost doesn’t do a lot for me and some PS games run better in BC (Sekiro for example) than on Xbox. Quick Resume I’ve not used yet as I like to properly go to the home menu and quit out of a game before going on to anything else. 

I completely agree on Game Pass though, it is incredible value (more thoughts on this at some point) and changes the way I think and play games (how long that lasts though is a different story), the value proposition is just bonkers.

I also agree that Sony can handle upgrades better than they do and Xbox Smart Delivery is more than just the buzzword I thought it was.

I think my PS5 has hard crashed once and hit me back to the dash 3 times since I got it last year, I know Shinobi on Twitter had lots of crashes and ended up sending his back, perhaps your unit is a bit dodgy too.

More on my XSX thoughts later, I keep meaning to type it all out and haven’t found the time yet. I think an apt comparison is PS5 is a Mercedes (wows you initially, is a nice and luxurious place to be but maybe has a few kinks to iron out) whereas XSX is more of a Toyota (quietly impressive, sturdy and reliable). That’s all I’ll say for now. 

4 hours ago, mmmark said:

I keeping looking out for that klarna malarky. Is it GAME and Smyths only? I have a terrible credit score so maybe won’t be able to anyway but I’d like to know at least. 

Yeah just Smyths and GAME, after my experience with GAMEs website I probably wouldn’t bother with them though as I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through the ‘accepted for credit’ bit then not be able to click the confirm button at the end. 

5 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

think an apt comparison is PS5 is a Mercedes (wows you initially, is a nice and luxurious place to be but maybe has a few kinks to iron out) whereas XSX is more of a Toyota (quietly impressive, sturdy and reliable). That’s all I’ll say for now. 

???... think you can leave it there tbh...

The cross play stuff on Xbox is super cool, I remember cross playing Gears 4 with Blakey and while he was shit at the game and got us killed all the time it sold me on the direction MS have been going with this stuff. 

They still can't name a console to save their lives tho.

9 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

some PS games run better in BC (Sekiro for example) than on Xbox.

Really? In what way is Sekiro better? Just done a google and couldn’t find anything. Plenty saying the PS4 pro version is better than One X but nothing I could see from Series X to PS5. Just curious as it looked great on my SX and didn’t notice any frame drops from 60. Apart from the odd stutter in the last fight if I was most of the area away from him, and that was only slight. 

11 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The cross play stuff on Xbox is super cool, I remember cross playing Gears 4 with Blakey and while he was shit at the game and got us killed all the time it sold me on the direction MS have been going with this stuff. 

They still can't name a console to save their lives tho.

??? I remember it somewhat differently ?, I still have nightmares about that bit with the mini gun and hordes of locust to this day. 

For me it's just been Xbox all the way since the launch of this generation. I love gamepass, and I'm already convinced it's the way gaming should go. 

Already I can't bear the thought of handing over full price for a game I'm going to play once and then put on the shelf. Luckily, my other favourite gaming company, Nintendo, seem dedicated to only releasing a new game every blue moon.

12 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Really? In what way is Sekiro better? Just done a google and couldn’t find anything. Plenty saying the PS4 pro version is better than One X but nothing I could see from Series X to PS5. Just curious as it looked great on my SX and didn’t notice any frame drops from 60. Apart from the odd stutter in the last fight if I was most of the area away from him, and that was only slight. 

Solid 60 throughout on PS5, lots of dips almost constantly on XSX.

DF vid, about 18:40 in

I don’t know how much louder I can be about Gamepass. I’m all about it. Agree that the Xbox is way sturdier and more stable than the PS5, too. My PS5 has had so many weird errors. One time playing Miles Morales I entered a cutscene and the disc drive, I guess, crashed so hard that it was doing super loud clicking sounds like record skipping and I had to pull the plug out the back because it was completely unresponsive. Scary.

It’s mostly fine but it is definitely less fine than the Xbox.

For me you can’t beat new, shiny games, though. Xbox gives so many games it’s actually an incredible competitor just coming at modern gaming with this really unique angle of here, just have all of it. 

It’s just not as exciting as new shit. Although I don’t think any of the PS5 games are singlehandedly worth getting a PS5 for but it’s overall a more interesting space than hey, want to play this new indie game or 4+ year old AAA game?

Cheap is cheap but it’s not new. As much as a new Xbox loads these games fast, there’s nothing on the system that can compete with how these PS5 games look and shit. And the PS5 games load fast. Damn. 

Except everyone talking about Sackboy lol that game’s garbage you don’t play platformers?

If you've used an Xbox One recently you'll know how that is as it's the same... only lots quicker.

PS5 is missing half the stuff that was on PS4 but does show nice game art as a theme for which ever was the last game you played (so does Series X actually)... anyone that says the PS5 OS is great is a no good fibber...

11 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Solid 60 throughout on PS5, lots of dips almost constantly on XSX.

DF vid, about 18:40 in

Weird, I didn’t notice any of that until the last boss like I say. Wonder if they patched it or a FW update helped… mind you most it dropped was 5 frames during a cut scene pan so I probably wouldn’t have been able to tell. Either way I didn’t notice thankfully so all good. 
One thing with 99% of comparisons is the resolution is better on Xbox but frame rate is better on PS5. I wish devs would stop doing that on Xbox, I’d much rather have a solid frame rate than native resolution. There must be a reason they all do it that way. 

4 hours ago, mmmark said:

How do the os compare? ? 

As Nag has said above, it's the same OS as XB1 (which I believe you had in the past at some point?). My thoughts on the XB1 dash are well known at this point so I won't repeat myself, needless to say I prefer the PS5s clean cut, slick and super fast OS (even though it is a bit bare bones at this point), but the Xbox OS has definitely got more features at this point and is definitely more fleshed out.

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Weird, I didn’t notice any of that until the last boss like I say. Wonder if they patched it or a FW update helped… mind you most it dropped was 5 frames during a cut scene pan so I probably wouldn’t have been able to tell. Either way I didn’t notice thankfully so all good. 
One thing with 99% of comparisons is the resolution is better on Xbox but frame rate is better on PS5. I wish devs would stop doing that on Xbox, I’d much rather have a solid frame rate than native resolution. There must be a reason they all do it that way. 

It's definitely possible they patched it, the video I linked was recorded around the PS5/XSX launch last year.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

I've speculated it's cause of VRR. Does your TV do VRR? Because imo I don't think you would notice a drop from 60-55 or whatever on that TV so the only disadvantage is the extremely hard to notice variance in input lag.

The whole thing about 'we must have 60 at all times' was largely dictated to us by our display tech, but without the studder and screen tearing problems we used to have there's no reason to have to always keep it locked to 60. If you don't have VRR then yea it's different but otherwise the Xbox versions of these games sound better to me.

13 hours ago, Maf said:

For me you can’t beat new, shiny games, though. Xbox gives so many games it’s actually an incredible competitor just coming at modern gaming with this really unique angle of here, just have all of it. 

It’s just not as exciting as new shit.

The excitement for many is in the variety on offer, in having easy access to games that you might previously not even considered spending money on. I've spent so many hours on games like Forza horizon, Titanfall 2, ori, Gears, Dishonored 2 etc, that it's been a real eye opener.

Foolishly I decided to start a relaxed playthru of Fallout 4 a couple of weeks ago. All well and good. It's a magnificent game. But it does mean that by the end of August I'll have an insane backlog that exists only in the Xbox ether - The Ascent, plague story, psychonauts 2, gears 5, the medium, Cris tales, fooking Bug fables...the list goes on.

Honestly the new game shine you talk about is just a matter of perspective. And I say that as a very enthusiastic Ratchet fan. I'm not convinced by Sony this generation....yet!

45 minutes ago, mmmark said:

I was thinking of getting an Xbox series x through Xbox all access but I’ve just worked out it’s 696 compared to 656 buying them separately ?

Is it?

I thought 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate at £10.99 a month = £263.76

+ £450 for XSX 

= £713.76

But yeah, you can get 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate for £82 ordinarily so that would be £533.

I had to get a bundle with a Racing Wheel and do PayPal finance in the end as I couldn't get the All Access to confirm for me. I think I'm paying £714 (incl. interest) over 2 years at £30 a month but that didn't include GP Ultimate which I had to pay £40 for 1 year for. I did sell the racing wheel and paid a bit off of the total though. 

I took the console £450 plus £103 X 2 for ultimate game pass. That’s two one year subs from cd keys. I didn’t see a two year sub for £83.

hmmmm ? probably try to get a sx on finance alone or just wait it out a bit.