passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hi-Fi Rush

Nag

5 hours ago, mmmark said:

Every hint went whoooosh over my head.

As someone else who’s useless with rhythm games, the best tip the game provided to me was the fact your first hit always lands on the beat. So if you focus instead on tapping the attack button as your character hits an enemy rather than trying to listen to the beat, that’ll keep you in good stead. Helped me no end to start with.

Another really smart thing is as far as I could tell the basic beat you need to attack on stays the same throughout so you just eventually learn it doing it that way to the point I no longer throughly about it and managed to play to the rhythm, something I’m never normally able to do. 

Also remember it doesn’t punish you for pressing a button even if you’re not meant to during a combo. So for the Y attacks which take 2 beats to hit I’d just press a button on the missing beat anyway to keep my rhythm going. & it doesn’t mark you down for that at all. 

good tips there from mfnick

that beat hit helper thing that comes up at the bottom of the screen - you're supposed to press the buttons as the half circle parts meet in the middle to become a complete circle... i didn't find it much help either. not sure i found most of this that useful but think it's good that it's in there like - the cat also pulses with the beat - and you can change what that looks like in the options to make it a bit easier to see. your guy also clicks his fingers on every other beat. stuff in the world also moves with the beat, enemies move on the beat - and i still button mash (often off beat probably) with some added proper moves, just like i would any fighting game. timing on combos seems to be quite relaxed so you can do most combos etc. without worrying about the beat. trying to tap my foot along with some of this stuff helped sometimes maybe.

also it took me a while to get my head around it, only started enjoying the combat on level 3 or so. i play quite a lot of rhythm games but i much prefered playing on easy too.

9 hours ago, mmmark said:

What beat? When is this beat? What does it sound like? Nothing stands out to me. 

9 hours ago, mfnick said:

Just tap attack when your hits land & don’t worry about it. 

Fair enough. Personally I'd say if you can't hear the beat at all you're gonna struggle with this. Maybe not beating it, but perhaps enjoying it.

58 minutes ago, bellow said:

Fair enough. Personally I'd say if you can't hear the beat at all you're gonna struggle with this. Maybe not beating it, but perhaps enjoying it.

This. Next time I’ll do the obvious thing and use my headphones 😅

My little team on this has started talking as though I've reach a virtual point of no return. Just beat a

Spoiler

mad, money grubbing werewolf

boss so I'm assuming I'm about to enter the endgame.

Been very impressive throughout. A very full experience for a first outing. I don't have many complaints. Think I might have preferred the three companions mapped to the D-pad, and sometimes the particular way your supposed to approach a boss just isn't clear, and death can come before enlightenment. But that's about it.

I'll try to finish it out on Monday, but I'm interested in at least unlocking some of the secret areas in the early levels. And maybe upping my grade on some of the bosses. Yes, Mimosa, I'm looking at you😡

yeah really liked that boss. rekka is really cool too.

i've done all the secret rooms in the levels now, that unlocks some more stuff which i haven't tried much not sure i'll be able to do that. doing the secret rooms has taught me how to parry. i still want to keep playing the game but not sure what to do, tried first level on the rhythm master difficulty which was odd as it's not too hard till you get to the boss which seemed broken as i didn't read the description properly, if you drop to D rank you die straight away which seemingly can be difficult on the bosses.

Had a spare hour so I saw this one out. 

Helluva last boss. What's the matter with these people. It's like they spend more time on learning insane combat moves than actually running the company. No wonder the economy is going down the pan.

Anyway, got to the credits on normal and my rankings weren't too bad (well, not as bad as they can sometimes be on DMC). Went back to find some of the hidden rooms, but, as usual, not being an 'achiever' as such, I got bored and will leave these rooms for an inevitable replay in the future.

Excellent experience.

• 1 month later...

I've done a couple of levels.  I'm trying to go in blind so I've not read anyone's posts (I will when I'm done) I'm just venting.

This game is something.  I used to walk to work listening to the kind of music this game has, being a gamer and all, one that loves character action and rhythm games and day dreaming about a game a lot like this one in the early 2000s.  And someone actually did it.

The first boss had a NIN song and the second had a Flaming Lips song.  I'm astounded at at how much this game is hitting.  It just is a game I used to day dream about.

I'm pretty bad at it though.  I'm half decent at character action games and pretty good a rhythm games but I can't mix it to well.  I'm not satisfied with the B grades I'm getting.

• 1 year later...

Good to hear! How are the haptics and triggers used? Any good? I’m thinking of double dipping just to show them support since I live it so much but if the pad is used well then I’ll definitely get it. 

I can’t say I’ve noticed much yet to be honest, I’ve been a bit out of it the last few days. I’ll pay more attention the next time I play. I’ve seen reviews say they love how the pad is used, but I can’t say yet what they mean by that.

• 1 month later...

I tried this again got through the first level this time. It's super well made but the rhythm part is still driving me nuts. I got B rank on nearly every encounter because my timing is dog shit. You can see at the bottom my Just Timing for the entire chapter is 46%. I'm trying so hard as well 😔

As much I love the visuals to this game, I find it kind of hard to look at because everything is moving to the beat. It's like everything is moving to a chaotic pattern and makes it hard to adjust or focus on what's in front of me

It's clearly done very well, but I'm just like ouch my eyes. Can things move a bit more normally

I'm thinking of dropping it to easy, simply because I will never get an S-Rank on anything with "normal" timing. 

When picking difficulties it shows you what it adjusts. Shame the difficulty isn't customisable, because I would play this on normal with the beat timing set to easy. Things like the triple dodge just are not happening for me at all. I like that there are 2 indicators on the screen as well telling me where the beat is, but they're too fast to get in sync with. I have to sit there for 3 seconds just looking at the indicators going 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 now press buttons

The fighting doesn't allow for that at all though. SIgh it's so hard 

The irony of such a upbeat, high energy, cartoony game making me feel worse about myself than Souls games do 

0?ui=2&ik=e56d80a6b8&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Yeah I couldn't gel with this, the nature of games like this is I want to start grappling with its systems and feel improvements, but syncing up with the 'beat' is so alien to anything I'm able to understand. I just don't hear the beat, and the visual representation of it didn't make sense to me either. Anything music theory related, even simple aspects of it, I find it too alien. Ignoring the systems and just mashing a button absent-mindedly turns it into a nothing experience personally

So I just quickly decided not to bother, knowing I would hate it. Cool idea, not for me.