passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4

one-armed dwarf

• 3 months later...

You know, when I think about it one of the fun things about replaying old series is watching the advancement from installment to installment

RE1 to RE2, fucking crazy that leap. RE3 to RE4, holy fuck shit

Playing these remakes.. yawn. They all look and play the same 😕 

(in all honesty tho, I dont think this would have been a game to push next gen hardware anyway)

I think you’re over egging it a bit. Seems quite an easy process to make game best to their ability then tone things down for last gen to cope with. Rather than assuming nothing is as good as it could be by only releasing on current gen. 

I don’t think it’s time to bin off last gen given the financial struggles of many. You’re in a privileged position to have next gen so let’s not call for people that can’t afford it to be left behind for no good reason. 

I think cross-gen is going to go even longer because of the supply/manufacturing issues caused by Rona and the Ukrainian War. LaD8 was announced a couple days back for a 2024 release and that's cross-gen with XB1 and PS4 still, in 2024.

Pretty mad but there's not a lot you can do, I think this generation will be the longest by far.

21 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Even the Switch is still going strong. I don’t see any reason for them to release a Switch 2 anytime soon.

I disagree on that

But for the PS4, depending on the game I don't think it's a huge issue. I've no issues with Cyberpunks dlc not coming to last gen because their CPUs clearly can't cope, but something like God of War, I'm not sure what they would do that can't be scaled back. For now at least, I'm not sure I see many cross gen games by the end of next year

That said, Persona 4 got a PS3 version, so we might see some Japanese games still come to both. And Just Dance, I think the Wii got the last version still

As fancy as RE4 looks it does look to be running on the same tech as the last bunch of games since RE7.  And one of the things that the RE engine is that it's very scalable, not just for consoles but they'll be a PC version that can run on setups that are in the ball park of a PS4.

A good way to leverage next gen would be something like the legendary dark knight mode dmc5 has, where it multiplies the number of enemies on screen.

Would make sense for the hordes in Re4, and wouldn't make the game feel kneecapped or anything like that. In fact GC gamecube had more enemies on screen than the ps2 version

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I think this cross generation will be the longest by far.

Added something there... and it sucks to put it bluntly.

It'll be almost two and a half years when this releases since the next gen consoles released, I think the people who bought them are entitled to feel a little peeved that games are still seemingly being hamstrung by the previous (underpowered, according to many) generation.🤷‍♂️

I'm just saying it's not worth getting in a tizzy about the apparent lack of technical progress in games when you think about the cost and labour issues around game development now.

On top of that the biggest games in the world just aren't at the razor's edge of tech.

And with RE4 it's a remake, it may have not even got to the point it was going to get held back.

On 16/09/2022 at 13:52, Nag said:

Added something there... and it sucks to put it bluntly.

It'll be almost two and a half years when this releases since the next gen consoles released, I think the people who bought them are entitled to feel a little peeved that games are still seemingly being hamstrung by the previous (underpowered, according to many) generation.🤷‍♂️

I do agree, I thought we'd be seeing some current-gen only titles next year but I don't think there's many (any?) on the horizon. Not a lot we can do though, I think publishers feel the current-gen hasn't sold enough for them to go alone on those platforms yet unfortunately. With supply getting better and better month by month hopefully that'll change and most games towards the end of 2023 will be current-gen only but who knows when as devs will have to decide to develop for last-gen by now I would've thought.

We may have to wait until mid-2024/2025 before XB1 & PS4 get left behind, even then there's the slightly smaller issue of XBS holding games back but to a significantly lesser degree than last gen.

I am still excited for this though, definitely be a Day 1 for me next year still, I never finished the OG game on GCN so will be good to get a second crack at it.