passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

RedFall

DisturbedSwan

53 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

As much or as little as you thought of Deathloop, these reviews don't seem to indicate that was anywhere near as 'bad' as this is in comparison.

Sorry, that’s not what I meant. I was talking in regards to people starting to doubt Arkane as a developer. Just that their recent track record is showing they do seem to be losing it a bit. But agreed, Deathloop does at least seem better than this. 

Ah yeah, I definitely agree with you that they seem on a downward trajectory, even if Deathloop and this were made by different Arkane wings (Austin & Lyon), their games definitely last piqued with Prey and Dishonored 2. 

I hope they go back to SP games after this and MS gives them more scope to make another Immersive Sim.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

This game's conceptual phase and pre-production predates the MS acquisition by at least two years. They also recently confirmed that a PS4 version was cancelled, which might even have been the lead platform at the early stages (no source for that, but reasonable speculation). Seems to me like they just wanted to try something new and couldn't pull it off. Deathloop, being a roguelike and all, was also a big gamble on their part that seemed to have worked out – this, not so much. 

Unless by publisher you mean Bethesda, but I don't see why they would start meddling with Arkane's design approach now because they've been together since the Dishonored days.

I suppose I'd ask how much of that conceptual phase was about setting and certain gameplay elements than it was about the loot shooter aspects, and if the latter got bolted on at a later date. On paper, a Salem's Lot style setting is ripe grounds for making a rich and interesting RPG/immersive sim type of game, with huge potential for emergent gameplay and reactive elements (world changes based on player actions for instance). The looter shooter stuff just seems as much a match here as Avengers' GAAS approach was for Crystal Dynamics 

Either way it's purely speculative. The whole thing seems like it was mismanaged somewhere along the line and got derailed, and Xbox are still struggling to get a hit out.

I wouldn't put it past Arkane to be proactive and go out trying to build a game in this genre. I'd also suspect that the game looked bad when Microsoft bought them, but the looter-shooter prospect made them not pull the plug immediately. Even "just" being a basic looter shooter it could have been a good pick and from MS' perspective as it's certainly not a bad deal having something like a Borderlands or a Destiny-light exclusive to your ecosystem. But now that it failed I just hope they let it die after the 60fps patch is out and move to the next thing, unlike that period where CD was forced to do support on Avengers, which was ultimately the biggest waste of time of their entire career.

Anyway, yes, Xbox needs to find their groove back. Out of those, what, over 20 studios, there's only three I'd blindly trust these days and that's rather worrisome (Double Fine, Playground and Coalition). 

Oh Redfall... I could've put up with your 30fps shenanigans and even your luke warm reviews but why oh why would you have achievements with odd scores... that shit just shouldn't be allowed.😪

A broken load of bollocks is bad enough. But coming out directly after the shitshow that was Jedi Survivor’s launch was a very bad idea.  

Customers don’t have to stand for it. We’re paying full price for your game. If it’s a broken piece of shit, that doesn’t work, fuck right off with that nonsense.

Could be the end for Arkane. Death loop was pretty mediocre, but at least that worked. This is just embarrassing.

39 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

A broken load of bollocks is bad enough. But coming out directly after the shitshow that was Jedi Survivor’s launch was a very bad idea.  

Customers don’t have to stand for it. We’re paying full price for your game. If it’s a broken piece of shit, that doesn’t work, fuck right off with that nonsense.

Jedi Survivor isn't broken, Andy. It is if you're playing on PC maybe (there were a ton of patches that hit just the other day) but I assure you it is next to faultless on PS5 as I've played it myself. Broken is thrown around with reckless abandon these days. 

Yes, it's shit that every game under the sun seems to have shitty PC ports these days and it's not on that publishers charge full price for broken stuff on that platform, but it is just one platform, yes one two many but it's far from broken on PS5.

I played 2 hours and it's as polished as a Naughty Dog game, faultless and looks absolutely fantastic. 

I haven't played this, but it does seem actually properly 'broken' but it's difficult to tell as broken doesn't really mean that anymore in gaming and I haven't really played it.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna delete this and save myself the bother...

It's another one of the long line of games that got pretty great previews then trashed at release... I think I'm gonna start ignoring every fucking preview I look at tbh....

This is such a “dead on arrival” game. Hopefully Arkane doesn’t end up going completely off the rails. As Skill Up said, they’re best off cutting their losses and moving onto their next project. Because all the patches in the world won’t save this absolute fuck up.

On 03/05/2023 at 01:34, Nag said:

Oh Redfall... I could've put up with your 30fps shenanigans and even your luke warm reviews but why oh why would you have achievements with odd scores... that shit just shouldn't be allowed.😪

I deleted Dead Island: Definitive Edition the other day because it had odd achievements and I finally managed to get back to a 5 or 0-ending number (thanks to shit like DJ Hero it's been weird for YEARS). I couldn't run the risk of it getting knocked out of sync again.

I bought some random Mortal Kombat game on Xbox Live Arcade years ago to get mine back to a 5/0 multiple... it's an illness I tell ya!😂

not that she's likely to read this, but I was talking to Spatular last night while playing Redfall and saying a bad Arkane game isn't actually that bad. It's clearly not finished, but it's just a bit dull, it's not the worst game in the world.

What I've been surprised by is how many people have been speaking positively about Arkane, every time I see someone streaming Redfall they're raving about Prey. So, while the game is getting more of a kicking it deserves, I think gamers in general, or at least the ones that buy Arkane games, are still supportive of them. Not that it's easy to ignore criticism, obviously, because it isn't

I'm about to wrap up Prey, I think IMO it's really only behind Deus Ex 1 in terms of design excellence in its genre

I feel it mostly gets ever so slightly overlooked cause it's very iterative on System Shock and Bioshock. From what I read though the hassle that dev is talking about is coming from other people in the industry. So you get these types of shitheads even there.

I’m always surprised how highly people speak of Prey, it’s only around a 80 on Metacritic - sure that’s great but people talk about it like a 9-10 game. 

That is bullshit about it coming from your peers in the industry though. At the same time I don’t think it’s wrong players are calling it out, but ‘we’ definitely go about it wrong or go too far. It’s a £60-70 game. Or a subscription fee (even I’m getting sick of the whole “well it’s on Game Pass so doesn’t matter”). Watching a couple of reviews and watched a couple of people play it, it’s absolutely deserves calling out as an unfinished mess.