passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Maf

I’m up to world 3 now and really enjoying it. In terms of gameplay, yeah it’s very Ratchet-Y. Lots of strafe jumping left and right and holding down the fire button while aiming in an enemy’s general direction. Returnal this is not lol. 

But I like these games enough to keep playing them and this one is pretty cool so far. The only thing I don’t like is there doesn’t appear to be a Mr Zurkon anymore. Instead they’ve replaced him with a Mr Fungai who works exactly the same way but who is not as cool or funny. Immediate step back for the series.

As with all big PS5 games this uses the adaptive triggers where if you half pull it you get one type of fire and pull all the way you get a different type of fire. I withhold from calling it ‘alt fire’ because it isn’t like the guns do dramatically different things. Only slightly. For example the main pistol fires slowly at half pull and very fast at full pull. I’ve gotten used to it. But like all these PS5 games I find myself having to get used to it instead of naturally taking to it. It’s cool that it works but there’s still to be a game that genuinely does something actually cool with it. It’s fine and novel but not really sure what it adds outside of making R2 feel like 2 buttons in 1.

Graphically this is next level shit. Like I’ve really not seen anything quite like it. I’m playing on RT Performance because why not have it all? The Digital Foundry videos don’t do it justice. The richness, the depth, I’m not sure how to explain it but the ‘solidness’ of the world. Man, oh, man. The colours are fucking crazy in this game. I don’t want to say the graphics are what carries this game. Because it is fun in it’s own right. I like it. But the way this game looks makes it sure easy not to think about how basic it is and just be like wow holy hell.

The beginning especially has some amazing looking set pieces. They’re extremely on rails but for pure visual roller coaster fun this game is pretty unmatched. I thought Demon’s Souls was the best looking game I’ve seen in terms of fidelity but this blows it out the water. Granted Demon’s Souls has some pretty miserable art that makes the PS5 feel like it’s wasting grunt (The mine level for example) but even still at it’s best it doesn’t look as good as this. This game kicks. 

This is very minor I guess but one thing I like is when you rail grind in this game it’s actually fast now. I never understood why they made the rails so slow in old games. I guessed it was because it’s for kids? I dunno. There’s very little of it so far but grinding is fun now instead of weirdly dull. Really hoping there’s more.

And Rivet is better than Ratchet easy. 

I’ve seen people say the PS5 has been pretty lacklustre so far. And eh. Maybe. As much as there is no ‘You have to play this game right now’ title. The system continues to have a lot of ‘You really need to see this game right now’ title. Not to toss it aside like it isn’t important part of the conversation, but putting a pin in gameplay for a minute, it’s really hard not to be impressed by how these games look. In these terms Ratchet is incredible. Really something else. PS5 is continuing to delight for me and this might be the highlight so far. There are better playing games but the game just running normally is a spectacle in and of itself. 

Finished and Platinum’d

E3w0HVgX0As8lLW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Super easy and nice enough that you only need to play through it once for the Plat unlike the PS4 that required 3 playthroughs. 

I loved this game. Really nice, quick, smashy, splashy, gorgeous fun action game. Really liked this a whole bunch and will definitely play through it again at some point. 

There’s a chase sequence in this game at around the half way point which is so crazy. It’s on rails. Like literally on rails. But to look at it. Wow, man. What a thing to see. Makes me really excited to see what they do with Spider-Man 2. I think it’s really clear they learned a lot about set pieces from that game and I think it’s clear they’ve already mastered this PS5 shit with this game so when the next Spidey comes out I’m expecting to see some real incredible stuff. 

Miles Morales is a really cool game but in terms of how it looks it’s just a souped up version of a PS4 game. It looks great and all but it’s not this. It’s just different.

The only negative about this game is it’s kind of buggy in minor ways. AI running in to walls, getting caught on geometry etc. The most common and annoying is when switching weapons but it doesn’t actually switch. So the gun icon has changed but the ammo count is still on the last gun and I couldn’t fire the new gun. This happened maybe a dozen times in the game. Not good.

Also I dunno what just happened but there was a bug in a mini boss fight. The boss fight has stages because it throws Ratchet  to different planets through portal rifts. But it threw Ratchet through. The audio continued as normal. But Ratchet was landing on the planet in his ship and jumped out. The planet hadn’t loaded correctly though because it’s not meant to be a spawn point this is a scripted thing in the middle of the fight. I took one step, fell through the world, had to restart the fight.

Really weird bug. It was like the game registered Ratchet was in this other level but loaded it at the planet’s actual spawn point instead of the section the boss fight is meant to send him too. Really weird and unique bug. 

Aside from all that, though. Loved this game. It’s awesome. Coincidentally my 3 favourite games of the year so far all start with the letter R being Ratchet, Returnal and Resident Evil. Was looking at games in the next half of the year but I think this trend is about to end. Unless I cheat and start calling it Ralo Infinite or something. 

Just reached the 4th planet. It really does look absolutely incredible. Playing on Performance RT mode too and it feels great to play with no dips in frame rate even though the screen is usually full of effects and bits flying everywhere. The couple of set pieces it’s had have been fantastic too. Proper impressive stuff. Really like Rivet, definitely prefer her. Gary is the man too. 

Gameplay wise there’s nothing new though. It’s very much a R&C game which I’ve always enjoyed a lot but never thought they were amazing. The graphics and buttery smooth gameplay are elevating it but don’t go in expecting anything else. 

9 hours ago, mfnick said:

Just reached the 4th planet. It really does look absolutely incredible. Playing on Performance RT mode too and it feels great to play with no dips in frame rate even though the screen is usually full of effects and bits flying everywhere. The couple of set pieces it’s had have been fantastic too. Proper impressive stuff. Really like Rivet, definitely prefer her. Gary is the man too. 

Gameplay wise there’s nothing new though. It’s very much a R&C game which I’ve always enjoyed a lot but never thought they were amazing. The graphics and buttery smooth gameplay are elevating it but don’t go in expecting anything else. 

Yes, the underlying game is solid but the graphics are what elevate it. Even when this game is at it’s most routine it’s still just a spectacle. It’s just an awesome game to look at.

Have you got to either the chase sequence or Blizer Prime yet? Truly standout sequences that make the jaw drop

20 hours ago, Maf said:

Blizer Prime

Wow!!! Did that planet last night, holy shit that was impressive. More stuff like this and it’s going up a point or 2.

But in a way these games making a big deal about swapping between 2 time zones or Dimensions in this case in the same level due to the Hard drive have just made me appreciate Titanfall 2 even more. They managed it on ancient hardware and you can swap at the touch of a button there not just at set points. They must have used witchcraft.  

Ive got to say as impressive as Prime was, 2 of the planets have been really disappointing so far though. Another game where they’re trying to shoehorn in open world elements. But they’re just so barren and utterly dull and boring. The proper platforming planets like Prime have been a million times better. I like the new upgrade they give you for traversing them but the actual exploration part is just shit and completely unnecessary. 

Edit - done the Fixer set piece. Fucking brilliant. 

Edit 2 - a few more hours in & it actually keeps getting better as I go. Lots of great moments,

Spoiler

Ratchet, Clank, Rivet and Kit meeting was just really nicely done. The pirate theme park was really entertaining, the sing along was wonderfully stupid, reuniting the Juices, those pod robots that are way too friendly.

to name a few. All just so endearing and good. Combat is just getting more and more mental with effects flying everywhere too. 

Completed last night and got the Platinum since id done 90% of them just while playing. 

Bloody great game. Not got anything to add to my last post. 3 of the

Spoiler

planets are shit but the rest are brilliant with the Blizer Prime and Fixer sections being standouts. 

If you’re a big Ratchet & Clank fan you’re in for a treat. 

8/10 (probably a 10 if you love the series)

Started this on Saturday night and have been having a blast with it so far. I'm about 8 hours in

After my last experience with the franchise I famously said I'd never play another one as I really didn't get the previous game at all, but after the incredibly impressive showing at the PS5 showcase last Summer I knew I'd just have to pick it up and see all those crazy time-rifts before my very eyes. 

It has definitely lived up to my hype and expectations so far. The Uncharted-esque set pieces are just bonkers and the graphics are ridiculously good at every turn. I've already lost count at the amount of times I've stepped foot into a new area only for my jaw to almost be on the floor at how much stuff is going on before my eyes. Particles everywhere, shiny surfaces with reflections, reflections off of Ratchet's armour, smoke bellowing up from vents in the ground, it's all just super impressive stuff and easily the most 'next-gen' game I've experienced so far. It really is the next-gen showpiece we've been waiting for. 

I was never worried going in about its looks but the way it plays. As I didn't get on with the previous game and felt bored of it after awhile I was worried this would feel just as dated and I'd feel the same way but thankfully that has not been the case. The gunplay and combat are largely the same as R&C 2016 but the enemy variety has been much better on this front, it just seems to feel more phrenetic here compared to the very easy and pedestrian R&C 2016. 

I think where this game really shines over the previous though is the environments. In the last game I found quite a few of the planets just straight up boring to explore and filled with dull open world/3D platforming type tropes that outstayed their welcome way before the credits rolled. Here though, every planet feels teeming with life and activities to do, there is still some of the open world/3D platformer collectible type things to do but they seem to find inventive ways (so far) of easing you into doing them like equipping you with super speedy hover boots or piloting a Spyro-esque looking Dragon-type creature, turning what would've been a somewhat mundane 'collect 60 of x' into a really fun distraction that offers something a little different from the usual R&C fayre. To me those distractions and the variety on offer makes all the difference as you never quite know what to expect when you enter the next area or planet, you never know what the game is going to throw at you next or what kind of weird and wonderful creature or creation you'll have to master to complete a certain task. 

I absolutely love Rivet as well, she's just such a breath of fresh air for the series and has a real affable easy-going nature to her. I felt like the last game expected you to know and care about Ratchet and Clank before you took control of them so didn't really put much effort into their characters or backstories (I think the last game was meant as a semi-remake to the first game too which didn't help on this front) whereas on this front you learn more about them, their personalities, motivations and backstories much better. I already like Ratchet and Clank way more in this game and feel way more attached to them as characters than I ever did during my entire time with the previous title. 

I really didn't expect much from the story but it has been surprisingly excellent so far. I've just finished the 5th(?) Planet - Savali - and can't wait to see what happens next. 

Pics:

018936FE-59E6-47E5-8082-7F3275396ED2.jpeg

BAB9B798-3FB8-4FF4-BECF-BADFCD5FEEDC.jpeg

D8F42FF7-5212-4D66-A6F9-AB84DCC7A78D.jpeg

Spoiler

F38FD738-B7FD-410C-9F38-7D5FD75FB8B1.jpegE4DD71E7-F1E8-46BF-88D4-82DD350684A7.jpeg06DA2686-4E36-4F8E-BABB-531039449743.jpeg

Finished this last night, think it took me about 16-18 hours (will check my PSN profile time later) to 100% and Platinum it.

Loved it pretty much from start to finish. There was a few moments in the middle portion of the game where I felt like it was starting to drag a bit and it felt like I was going through the motions but as soon as I hit the Pirate planet the enemies seemed to ramp up a bit again and was lapping it up again. The combat just gets completely nuts towards the end with some of the late-game enemies and weapons you get, there seems to be such a ridiculous amount of particles and all sorts of other bits and pieces flying around the screen it really is a sight to behold, I never got any slowdown or anything either, very technically impressive.

I didn't feel like collecting all the various bits and pieces was a drag at all either like in some other games, there seemed to be a minimal amount of collectibles for each planet which made them all feel manageable and attainable without overwhelming the player at all. I also felt finding them was a pretty simple process too and there's a gadget you get towards the end which makes this even easier by showing all the missing collectibles on the map for you. 

I think the rift mechanic was perhaps a little underutilised and only really reared its head in set pieces and the brief 'pocket dimension' puzzles. Still amazing and properly mind boggling going from one planet to a completely different one in a split second though, reminded me of when I played Prey on the 360 and was blown away by the wall walking and being able to float to a tiny moon in the distance. Really such a 'next-gen' feature and hugely impressive, I just wish there was more planets like Blizar Prime where you could switch dimensions at will really but it's a minor complaint in the scheme of things.

This is only my 2nd Ratchet game and it is just so much better in every conceivable way than R&C 2016 in my view. Really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. 

Pics:

Spoiler

F8D6BC4B-02CC-4918-8D87-5F85B1EBACBA.jpegB0520F4C-B048-4A8D-A6F7-C7CFFDA92D6C.jpegC1E71A6F-5C50-409A-82AC-56F4E16429C7.jpeg8B61CE11-46CC-43AD-827E-1CE30434AE37.jpeg7AF8E45D-D3CE-4425-BF26-55718C88FC26.jpeg06F37F80-BD12-4018-9488-86450B448F49.jpeg0A1CA589-D6BD-4986-B047-A2864532C1EE.jpegBCD476B1-A05B-4D68-A7B0-203CB4B5DC2D.jpeg2A6E3404-F566-4297-B3B5-9335CC88FD25.jpeg4B4963A6-59BC-4B64-BF7C-1132B0EF03FC.jpegBCB06E59-9369-441F-823F-0040AE551513.jpeg

FA06A792-EEB1-4816-9B29-EF08092977CC.jpeg

455D5574-E231-4D75-A969-3D3573F5D40F.jpeg

C87683EF-5119-4293-9305-33E0789E155B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I finished this the other day and enjoyed it. There's something about it though, I can't quite put it in to words what's missing. It's a bit mechanical I guess, like levels were made by flow chart or algorithm. Not that they're bad, far from it, they're well designed, but it's like someone is following a guide for how to make a Ratchet game.

The best I can explain it, it's like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, if a character or story line isn't in one episode it will feature heavily on the next. Not done any rail grinding, you will in the next level. Spent some time as Clank, you're done with that for an hour.

It also is a little lacking in, not polish because it's a really well made game, even if I did fall through the wall once. More that it's not had that extra level of polish, like you kind of hover against blocks if you're not quite high enough to get on, or hit an invisible wall that stops you getting on objects it looks like you should. Hardly game breaking like, I'm not even sure it would improve the game if they sorted this

Anyway, I enjoyed it, but it's not my favourite Ratchet. Not sure I'll bother getting the platinum on it or anything

• 2 years later...

So, taking a break from Ghost of Tsushima I've finally got my new PS5 to play a PS5 game. Yay.

Now, I've played every Ratchet game so there's nothing to surprise me here. But that's the way I like it.

It's definitely reached visual saturation point. I mean how can a cartoon style game look any better than this? I think these companies like Sony are going to have to blue sky something if they're going to get people who don't really fret over graphics (like me) to care about the next generation.

Gameplay, smooth and satisfying. A bit easier than the classics, but I suppose you could say that about any game these days. Not sure about the open world type bits. I liked it in Gears of war, but do we really need it here? And I think they could have made Rivet's gameplay a bit more unique than just being ratchet in a dress. I reckon I could have handled 2 combat systems. I know it's a cartoon, but I'm hardly asking for Yakuza 6 here.

Still, for what it is it's still a buzz to play.

Over 50% in this and I'm very impressed with what the PS5 is bringing to this franchise. Its just bigger, clearer, smoother, faster. And loads more bolts.

Last few worlds I've done have been a bit more classic Ratchet with some mad grind rail platform sequences, which are always welcome, and a chance to bring the bad news to some space pirates.

I feel weapon acquisition is a bit easier than normal and I've got loads of belters, although I'm wracking my brains to work out some woke reason that Mr zurkon has been replaced by an anthropomorphised mushroom. Bring back the little metal maniac I say. He only wanted to kill you.

Done👍

What a fabulous entry into this franchise. I'm a series veteran, but I think this may be my favourite, or at least the equal of Crack in time and the defining R+C 3.

Having said that I bet if I put those games on they'd seem mighty pedestrian after playing this monster.

Enjoyed every single minute of it,

Spoiler

even the survival horror bit in the middle. First time I've been genuinely terrified by a stalking monster. Good job there was plenty of jelly around to keep him off my case.

I hope that's not the last of R+C with all this Spiderman nonsense keeping Insomniac busy. As a sci-fi franchise it's obviously far more grounded and coherent than Gears or Mass effect. It's sort of Dune but with weaponised gardening equipment.

On 28/02/2024 at 19:15, Metroid66 said:

Gears or Mass effect. It's sort of Dune but with weaponised gardening equipment.

This is a great sentence!
It does look incredible - it reminds me of the days of drooling over Jet Force Gemini in magazines, lol.