passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Astro's Playroom.

Nag

This is about the most least likely game for me to start a topic on ever... well done to @DANGERMAN for saying that the free Duelsense showoff game shouldn't be overlooked last week... you were right.

PS_App_20201123_112927.jpeg

As a showcase for what can be done with the new controller this can't be faulted, it's weird as fuck feeling tension in the triggers to the point of feeling like something is going to give if you force it too much... used right this controller will be a game changer.

PS_App_20201123_112933.jpeg

As for the game itself, I've enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane collecting all the Playstation artifacts and trying to spot all the game cameos... it's short and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

PS_App_20201123_112917.jpeg

I've pretty much done everything now... got the Platinum but have one dlc trophy left to unlock... speed runs, which I'm about 30 odd seconds out with. That can balls.

Spoiler

PS_App_20201123_112922.jpeg

PS_App_20201123_112912.jpeg

Yeah this is cool, really enjoyed the time trial levels, but they need to move the notifications to a different queue. Don’t think it’s as good as the vr one, but I didn’t really like playing that in vr so hoping some day they put out a Astro bot 2 where vr is optional. Not sure what I think of the triggers yet, the improved rumble Is cool though.

Finished this in one sitting today and got the Plat. 

I enjoyed it overall but couldn’t help being a little underwhelmed by it. It’s a good, competent platformer but nothing more than that for me. 

I really liked the nostalgia trip. Going back through PlayStation history, picking up all these artefacts big and small from PS past and present was a really nice touch. The ‘Labo’ section is like a nice little museum where you can see all the artefacts you’ve collected and murals to all the PS consoles, accessories and oddities through the years. A lot of them are interactive too,  for example jumping on the PSX power button and hearing that famous start up music is great, there’s tons of these little neat touches in this section. 

The controller effects though were a bit of a mixed bag for me. They were cool don’t get me wrong but not something that wowed me at all, just more like a ‘oh, that’s nice’ kind of deal. I thought some of the implementations in the game strayed too far into motion controlled gimmicks as well but other parts like the monkey suit climbing the rock wall was great.

I think the lack of difficulty was more of a bug bear than anything else. It’s just ridiculously easy with no challenge to it whatsoever, I want a bit of challenge from a platformer personally and this just doesn’t have any at all.

Overall, it’s a good, competent platformer but no more than that for me. I’m glad I played it and it’s a cool pack-in game but yeah, that’s about it.

465480C5-7189-434F-AA66-DD610101B9CB.jpegF48500EB-5D44-4B41-A185-3C08A8D5E594.jpeg

Spoiler

BF4B1188-5414-4B1D-B2DA-CEB5392A92A2.jpegD9529EEA-5B74-4118-9295-DDD9E37F2EAD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Started, completed and platinum trophied in 1 sitting last night.  Couldn’t stop playing, I really loved it. Sure it was simple and easy but I think that suited this as a show off to what the controller could do as well as a being nice trip platforming trip down memory lane while looking incredibly pretty and being full of charm and great little touches. Plenty of variety in its run time too. I soaked in all the little details throughout. Surprised by just how much nostalgia I have for Playstation stuff now too, especially since I didn’t have a PS1. 

I just want to bring attention to the sound as well. They really utilise surround sound in this, it sounded incredible on my set up. In a way I've not felt with a game for a while. Especially in the 1st SSD stage. 

• 1 month later...

Got my PS5 on Saturday and this has been a big hit in my household. My youngest is already on his second play through and I managed to platinum it in the few hours I got to play on the console by myself.

What an absolutely charming game. I'm not a fan of platformers (I think it's due to being burnt out on Mario/Nintendo games) but I loved every second of this. What a lovely homage to Playstation's history.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

It's odd reading my opening post on this and then realising that nothing has come close in regards to using the Duelsense features that this game showed off so well. So far it's been massively underutilised.

Yea, I was really thinking I’d proabbaky start buying multi format games on the PS again due to the pad but that’s just not happened due to how under-utilised it is. 

I really hope MS bring one with the same functionality out still though. It’s really great when used properly and if 3rd party devs know both consoles can do it I can see a lot more of them making a effort to incorporate it better.

The trigger locking thing is a really dumb gimmick I think tbh, and it seems to be breaking controllers

The one thing I heard of was cool is you can detect where a poison cloud is in Returnal based off how it rumbles in the controller. Most games just use it in an annoying way tho, and so I dont like playing PS5 games at all when they do that (the pitter patter of footsteps)

14 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The trigger locking thing is a really dumb gimmick I think tbh, and it seems to be breaking controllers

Isn’t that due to them using a cheap shitty bit of plastic on them? Easy fix if they wanted. Seen a few fixed on YT where they install a metal pin and then it’s basically Good for life. Don’t want to lose a brilliant part of the controller just because Sony are cheap. It makes such a huge difference to some games - WRC in particular. You can feel when the brakes are going to lock as well as when they do lock or when you’re about to lose traction. 

I'm hoping we see some proper use of tension in the triggers for Aloys bow in Horizon... I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

To be fair it was probably the rain in this game that's impressed me most with the controller so far.

I mean, we're still just over a year from launch, more games that fully utilise the DS features will come I'm sure, and I'm almost 100% you'll be able to feel the tension of Aloy's bow in Horizon 2. Sony's 1P titles will 100% use them, the utilisation in R&C was great, DeS and MM a bit lacking but it's just the 3P stuff that seems to be a bit up in the air whether they properly bother or just phone it in at the moment which is a shame. 

In my personal experience, all 3P games I've played have used the features to some extent, it's just they often don't go far enough. AC Valhalla had the bow tension on the triggers but it was pretty weak and only a little bit there (if that makes sense) when compared to something like AP. F1 2021 uses them really well with the acceleration/braking, changing cars and even getting a feel for the track and tyre condition through it. 

I will also say aside from a few horror stories of controllers breaking, it doesn't seem to be a wider issue with the controller.

Dunno about that one

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-dualsense-is-a-great-controller-but-it-has-the-worst-quality-control.537263/page-4#post-79997708

For me at least it's the worst controller I've used in terms of how fast it took my first to develop drift (I dont use my switch at all). The 2nd one has been fine so far, but I've only used it with ffxiv on PC (not really played the PS5 much at all and when I did it was with a hitbox)

I wonder if this stuff tho is a side effect of supply chain problems, and companies cheaping out in a massive way

There are constantly threads like that on that forum, and it's 4 pages since yesterday

https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-dualsense-is-already-drifting.439630/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dualsense-durability.516828/page-2

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-ps5-dualsense-controller-drift-–-class-action-investigation-update-lawsuit-filed.376281/page-3

I'm not really sure what you qualify as 'widespread. But at a certain point, the anecdotal noise becomes loud enough that I'm not really gonna give them benefit of the doubt. Especially when it happened to me.

This poll had 14% of people reporting issues, that's a lot

https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-your-dualsense-sticks-drifting.339469/

They do the bow pull/trigger tension thing in Kena Bridge of Spirits. Not to be a bitch but it made my arm tired after a while and I couldn't figure out why because I didn't even notice it. I don't think it adds anything but a extra helping of RSI. 

I like the rumble features used in Astro, that's cool. But the tension stuff on the triggers I don't like. It gets in the way. It's cool the very first time, like that's fun. But then 20 minutes in I'm just trying to play the game and I'm over the tension triggers. 

EDIT: Actually to eat my own words Returnal has primary fire and alt fire on 1 trigger and you get the first from pressing half way and the alt for pressing the whole way and it’s cool as hell