passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears 5

Nag

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Am I right in thinking I shouldn’t start this yet? Been reading the fucked up online part is somehow messing up the campaign too ?. How bad is it? Should I wait or has it been overblown and it doesn’t really affect anything? 

I've been keeping an eye on their Twitter account, they've rolled out multiple server side fixes over the last 12 hours.

I restarted the campaign today as lost collectables and other stuff not tracking was winding me up, I've just made it up to getting the Skiff and the more open world segment and so far it's behaved itself perfectly.

The servers may get hammered again tomorrow as the standard edition of the game releases but I'd say after today's performance go for it.?

Agreed, you could apparently take your Xbox offline when all this shit was happening in the campaign and it would play fine... but then achievements don't unlock and that's bollocks too.

Started this last night, only had a quick go but seems great so far. It looks incredible! Maybe the best looking game I’ve seen, the lighting is particularly impressive. The difference 60fps makes can’t be understated, it just feels so much nicer and more responsive to play just after completing Gears 4, the difference is night and day. 

Noticeably harder as well. I completed Gears 4 on Hardcore quite easily, only died a handful of times all the way through. I’ve had to knock this down to normal, already died more in tunnel and in that first open area than in all of Gears 4 when I had it on hard.

Not played a new high production AAA game for a while too, the industry is fucked but there is still something special and to be savoured about them when you can see loads of cash, care and attention has been poured into it. Even the opening credits gave me slight chills. Beautifully done. Anyway, looking forward to getting stuck in more. 

D40DFC38-37D3-4982-836F-434FA2FE8530.jpeg

I just got to Act 2 Chapter 5 and have to say I am having a tremendous amount of fun with this game. Everything about it is just so satisfying, and the GL Lancer with it’s built in mortar is one of the most exciting and fun new weapons to use in a game I can remember for quite some time. It’s just a shame that for some reason it doesn’t use the same ammo as a regular Lancer, but I think they know if it did you would never swap guns.

I done the side mission in the mine where you get to drop dudes through the ice and that was really awesome. It actually took me a couple of tries to realise that was the secret to that fight so I died for the first time there, but then when I realised the Boltok one shots the ice 36 bullets was more than enough to sink everyone oooooh it was a good time. Back in your ice hole. 

And I’m really glad they managed to call back to Gears of War 1’s horror roots. Like it’s not actually scary (I get scared by everything so you know it’s not) but when your creeping through these dirty, creaky, dark labs and caves it carries such heavy atmosphere, add to that the graphics and in particular the sound and it’s so easy to get immersed in your environment when there’s no action, and those sections prime you to be fully engaged when it all kicks off. The gun fights are so good as well. They finally nailed normal difficulty. I’ve solo’d every Gears game on Insane except the first one (I never figured out the gimmick to Ramm on the train) and except for very specific sections or boss fights never found it that tough. But even on Normal I’m feeling myself being pushed in interesting ways. It’s still Gears fighting, but particularly with th environment in Act 2 they really find cool ways to mix it up.

And the game continues to be drop. dead. fucking. gorgeous. 

The only nitpick I have is that Del bugs out all the time and sometimes I’m basically fighting by myself because he’s hiding behind cover not doing anything. It’s puzzling because Gears is perhaps the longest running AAA series that has always had AI co-op. It’s not always been particularly useful. But at least it always worked even if limited. It’s very strange that the 6th time around they kind of ballsed it up. I get the environments are more complex than they have ever been. But still. 

But besides that, I have to say it again, tremendous amounts of fun. Extremely surprised, extremely impressed. 

I'm up to the first part of Act 4, I'm really enjoying the country hoping in this game it's making the game feel much larger and high stakes than 4's small scale battles... Nice excuse to keep changing costumes too.

The end of Act 3 is pure Gears bombast and something I hadn't actually realized I'd missed for the last couple of games, things going absolutely huge and hectic, fucking great stuff.

In regards to the AI, I've noticed it's pretty shit at actually reviving you if you go DBNO (I always keep that ability ready to pop on Jack ) and that's strange because in 4 they were absolutely on point.

And yeah, this could be one of the best looking console games I've ever seen, it's ridiculous.

IMG_9503761c-5352-4b71-8e30-ee271548d961.png

IMG_edd29d19-2442-4817-b476-8cbd74b38a54.png

IMG_1cfc3062-1e62-49dc-877a-24843594b863.png

Finished this today, Act 4 is excellent... In fact the whole campaign is excellent to be honest, easily the best since three and it very well may overtake that for me.

Biggest thing for me is the Mass Effect style choice you have to make which for such a linear story driven game is brave as fuck on the Coalition's part...

Actual spoilers

Spoiler

Basically you choose whether Del or JD dies... I choose to save Del, he'd been by my side the entire campaign and it only seemed right.IMG_532cd149-e3ac-412d-aaf2-a0abc336c648.png

I'd read that the end was kind've an abrupt Halo 2 style affair but to be honest I was happy where it went and with the place they choose to finish, it's obviously set for a third and final game.

Gears never really needed to return to form for me but this was excellent.?

IMG_67a01547-7d8b-458e-987d-98793a570544.png

IMG_a21c6251-e8c1-485a-8674-ed570e639baa.png

IMG_a6465c53-b5f6-45f3-92c6-d643cd4cccdd.png

Properly started this last night and got as far as Act 2. 

I refuse to play any Gears games on my own because I just don’t enjoy them anywhere near as much so I jumped into Act 1, Chapter 1 lobby with some randoms and played through as Dave/Jack. 

It was an interesting experience to say the least ? not quite your typical Gears experience that’s for sure! But yeah, quite enjoyed it all the same, I did miss playing as a COG a bit and I’m not sure I’d play through another whole Act as Jack but it was a cool experience nonetheless.

Playing on the One S I’m not sure I’ve had the same visual feast as others on the X/PC though, the game is very pretty for sure with some incredible detail to the environments but is way off being the best of the generation for me, I think Gears 4 looked better too, but I did play that on PC.

I’m glad they’ve done away with the DeeBees and put you straight up against the Swarm though, definitely a better first Act than the previous game.

Finished off Act 2 and started Act 3 tonight. Didn’t really do anything in Act 3 because I don’t want to start digging in to it now. But man did that end of Act 2 suck. Enemies that are basically OHKO’s, a crappy boss fight, and I really didn’t understand any of the story stuff at all. The sci-fi elements in this game have really started to go back up it’s own butt and I can neither figure it out, or want to spend any time trying.

It’s like the opposite problem to old Gears where it was super 2 dimensional and now it’s getting too convoluted. 

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Why didn't you get it on PC? ?

Technically I have because of PC Game Pass but I just can’t be bothered to download it ? and all I want to play on my PC - which is still at my parents house -at the moment is Siege.

So yeah, it’s my own fault really that I’m not getting the best experience but the only real time I get to play it is on the One S at home. 

11 hours ago, Maf said:

It’s like the opposite problem to old Gears where it was super 2 dimensional and now it’s getting too convoluted. 

It's really, absolutely, not convoluted at all. They picked up a story beat that was never explained by Epic in the old trilogy and made it work by adding a couple of small details. I know you have a tendency to drift off and start thinking about breeding the perfect Pikachu while playing other games, so just watch the cutscene again on youtube. The only weird thing about it is that they kind of expect you to have played Gears 2 & 3 which I think is weird for a shooter to ask from its audience. But as someone who did play them, I'm really happy that this entire thing has some continuity now. When Gears 4 came out it was hard to make out whether they wanted to move forward or expand on what was there already – Gears 5 kind of shows that they want to do both, but needed a second game to really find their rhythm.

The boss fight in Akt 2 was pretty awful though, I agree. Took way too long to finish because it seems like it was designed with coop-play in mind (he always freezes with his back turned away from you so you waste precious time circling him and Del doesn't really shoot him most of the time).