passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sacked That Off Mate

mfnick

• 4 weeks later...

Evil West. I was quite enjoying this, it’s currently free on Plus. Unfortunately, it has a fatal flaw that has seriously pissed me off, and I’m now done with it.

What is that flaw? The save system. You cannot manually save your game, god knows why. So it periodically does an auto save. Now, when starting a new level, you would expect that it would save, right? Wrong, apparently. I did a lengthy mission, with a boss fight that was quite tough. A cutscene kicked in, I was given a new weapon. I’d had enough for that session, and mistakenly thought it had autosaved. 

It hadn’t. Meaning all the progress that I had made, had gone flying out the window.

Well, fuck it then. I’m not doing that all over again. Why the hell the game does not let you manually save, at all, is beyond me. But fuck it, I’m done.

Sounds like Robocop... having to go to the "load game" screen and check what time the last autosave was before you can close the game down (with no way to force a save) is fucking shocking.

what Evil West does, is when you

select “Return to main menu”, a prompt comes up saying “Are you sure? Game last saved xxx minutes ago”. 

It specifically told me it saved less than 30 seconds ago. I assumed it had saved while the next level kicked in. 
Sadly, it bloody hadn’t. 

I've played Evil West and, thankfully, escaped losing progress... seems lately there's been a few games that have questionable saving practices. Not being able to manually save anywhere is fucking stupid in this day and age though... especially given suspend play and instant resume.

• 1 month later...

Mario RPG Remake 

It looks fantastic. But oh my God it is boring as fuck. Ive reached about 8-10 hours in and it just hasn’t done anything particular interesting or even entertaining. 

For context I never played the original version. Maybe if I’d have played it back then there’d be something here. But I’ve gone back to other JRPGs from this era and still really enjoyed them.
love Paper Mario TTYD. This has none of that special sauce even in skeletal form. 

I finished it but yeah. It’s fine, the bit with the Wario-like character was quite entertaining, but I strongly agree and get sacking it off

Really think you either need to have nostalgia or be a kid to actually enjoy this

It’s not a diss because I play lots of kids games, but this one feels squarely for kids and kids only. It‘s hard to get any kind of entertainment value out of it when you’re X old or played X amount of JRPG’s

Mario Superstar Saga is on the Switch Online thing for £3.50 for a month. And it’s worlds better than this.

6 minutes ago, Maf said:

Mario Superstar Saga is on the Switch Online thing for £3.50 for a month. And it’s worlds better than this.

100% agree!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, didn't get too far with FF7 remake. The setting wore me out a bit, and the dialogue would have been deemed too infantile for the Balamory Christmas special. Maybe I didn't notice when it was just text😀

Combat had promise, but wasn't anywhere near as interesting as the original. So what's the point? I own the original. Might as well just play that.

On the brighter side I downloaded the demo for FF16. Now that seems like something I could enjoy. A dodge button that actually allows you to dodge an incoming attack. Who'd have thought it 🤔.

I’m not a big lover of the game but my issues with it weren’t really around dialogue or story. 

There were some bits like when you visit a relative of a character that is quite boring but generally the story parts were the bits I liked about the game

The dialogue didn’t really seem better or worse than standard JRPG stuff, but I do think the voice actors kind of suck. Aerith’s VA is not very good but I also think Barrett’s voice/ delivery vs he’s character and mannerisms don’t match. The voice is just never what I imagined Barrett would sound like.  

I only played a tiny bit of FF16 but I do this it’s better than FF7R. Give me a week to finish Persona and forum playthrough? 👀 

I think I've just got a fairly high tolerance of anime-isms. Some of it is annoying. Everyone hates Aerith but it's Jessie and the Avalanche guys who annoy me, and the fact that one character's only contribution is hundreds of very not funny fat jokes. 

But I just don't find that stuff such a dealbreaker really. I've played so many games with stuff like that I've gotten good at compartmentalizing it. XVI has much better character performances, and when I came around on Clive I'd say he's one of the better written FF protagonists. But it's still kinda part of the same tradition with these characters, people battling self doubt and stuff like that. 

But XVI is a game which starts with a strong first impression and then turns into an offline MMO where 5 hours of fetch quests are punctuated by amazing battle sequences. I'm not saying that as a card carrying member of the FFVII defense force so much as trying to say people should adjust expectations if they think that the opening hours of that game come close to representing what the game is actually like. It's a game which does a lot of cool things, which is why I'm still sort of looking forward to replaying on PC with both DLCs (to make the boring bits more palatable). But unless you've played FFXIV Realm Reborn, you might be surprised at what this game actually is like when you get into it.

1 hour ago, Maf said:

I only played a tiny bit of FF16 but I do this it’s better than FF7R. Give me a week to finish Persona and forum playthrough? 👀 

I can manage that.

Final Fantasy 16 tries a tad too hard to be all adult and serious... and ends up being way too boring because of it, the first three Eikon battles are great then they get progressively worse and Clive is (in my opinion) the worst main character in a mainline FF game I've played.