passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

The Dead Don't Die

This is one of the weirdest films I've seen in a long time. Not quite on the same level as Tetsuo: The Iron Man, but not too far off. The film is marketed as a "Horror comedy", whereas it is closer to an Indie film with a higher budget. The humour is super dry and dead pan. With lots of 4th wall breaking moments and sly nods to the genre. It kind of ends in a odd place and the lead up to the finale gets even stranger still. It ultimately isn't Shaun of the Dead, or the satirical social commentary of the Romero series, but that isn't really what it is going for either. I can also tell this is one of those auteur directors, wherein if you know of him and his films, you probably know what to expect. I didn't. 6.5/10

Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday.  Its a solid family film for sure and I was expecting something more on the outside of the Pokemon universe but I was surprised how close it actually was.  Like it could be part of the mainline games. 

10 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday.  Its a solid family film for sure and I was expecting something more on the outside of the Pokemon universe but I was surprised how close it actually was.  Like it could be part of the mainline games. 

It is certainly up there with the Good video game adaptations, at any rate. Mewtwo and Mr. Mime (my Gen 1 favourites) got suitable representation, so I was pleased with that. Although, like the giant turtle and the little mushroom things, there were a lot of PokéManz I had no idea about.

24 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

It's more or less the same plot to the Detective Pikachu game tbf. I suspect it even spoils the plot of the 2nd game if they don't abandon the story 

Just seen one cut of the dead, been meaning to watch it for a while but I don’t like horror so kept putting it off...it’s really really good. It’s the sort of thing you don’t what to know much about it before watching, although I knew about the start and that didn’t spoil it IMO. And I was fine with the horror.

Well I could have, but didn't want to cause a forum meltdown ;-)

Cats is one of the most bizarre musicals I've seen, it's more an odd mix of operetta and ballet, with a rather difficult to follow storyline - I'm convinced the adaptation will be fine, but not sure how audiences and critics will take to it, unless it's adapted differently than the stage show - the trailer would suggest not.

15 hours ago, OCH said:

Ooff that was painful.

I think Smith and Mews look so different to their characters in the early 2000 that I can't get on board with this. Mews especially with his new teeth (heroin, hell of a drug). Also the jokes and writing are painful.

This does remind me though, I've been meaning to catch up with the last few Smith films, although they are meant to be hit and miss.

5 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Ooff that was painful.

I think Smith and Mews look so different to their characters in the early 2000 that I can't get on board with this. Mews especially with his new teeth (heroin, hell of a drug). Also the jokes and writing are painful.

This does remind me though, I've been meaning to catch up with the last few Smith films, although they are meant to be hit and miss.

Yep, I thought the same. A pass from me, from that trailer alone.

Smith looks really weird now he's lost all that weight. Granted whatever the last one of those films (Dogma, J&SB Strike Back etc) was probably the last thing I saw either of them in.

On the subject of trailers. 

This looks like a Batman but without the Batmans. I think Chadwick would make a quality Nightwing. Certainly has the looks for it the handsome bastard. 

I also think Cats has the potential to be a pretty magical experience. Looks great although the first sign of autotune in something inspired by musical theatre and I'm out. 

Dumbo (2019)

It was... OK. Not great, just OK. I was expecting MORE from Tim Burton, to be honest. The huge Dreamland "set"

Spoiler

and the climactic fire

look amazing. Danny DeVito is on form, but even that role lacks any real bite. It's schmaltz by numbers, and the "pink elephants" homage seems completely out of place. Maybe it's because The Greatest Showman put on such a good circus first.

Getting back on the Limitless bandwagon (as films have been a bit sparse of late and my health has been in the toilet, again)

Tonight is 'Midsommar' (aka 'This is Sweden', according to a friend of mine ?) I was assured it was better than Hereditary, although @one-armed dwarf was not as glowing in his appraisal.

Tomorrow is 'The Intruder', which sees Dennis Quaid as a evil white man, hunting a black couple. That, being the general gist I got from the trailer. More on that later. Hopefully that won't have a surprise penis scene like 'Ma' did, earlier in the year.  

EDIT: Too F'ing hot... ?