passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mmmark

Summary I saw elsewhere

900p docked, uses FSR1 to reach 1080p. Slightly sharper than BOTW but with subtle edge ringing. Resolution can drop to around 720p when camera is panning.

720p portable.

Pre-release patch has addressed nearly all instances of frame loss, mostly solid 30 fps. Using 'ultra-hand feature' can cause drop to 20 fps (due to double-buffer vsync).

Exceptionally polished. No bugs or unexpected behaviour.

Not too big for switch (but doesn't measure up to original trailer).

I'll be mostly playing portable so sounds pretty good to me

TBH a number of the reviews remark on the similarities (in gameplay mechanics) with BotW, and so on that I'll likely give it a miss (or at least go back and see if I can find the love for BotW first, as I didn't wholly enjoy that first time around).

The general sense I get is that it sounds like BOTW++.

Which is fine for me, I never even fully explored that game anyway. It's more or less what I expected (and wanted, to a certain extent). But it does sound like it won't be changing many people's minds on this form of Zelda in either direction.

Unless they do the right thing and turn the pro hud on of course.

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Bloody silly if they do, 4/5 is a fantastic score.

You know what people are like though, they’ll moan like fuck that it’s not 5. 

This is a game I’ll enjoy watching videos of all the crazy shit other people pull off with the physics but just isn’t for me. I’ll no doubt try it one day though just to be sure. Need to try BOTW again see if it clicks any better. 

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

You know what people are like though, they’ll moan like fuck that it’s not 5. 

This is a game I’ll enjoy watching videos of all the crazy shit other people pull off with the physics but just isn’t for me. I’ll no doubt try it one day though just to be sure. Need to try BOTW again see if it clicks any better. 

Haha yeah true enough, there has been a few folks on Era moaning at that review already lol, same with the Gfinity Journo who gave it a 6, he had to restrict his Twitter account earlier today, all too predictable sadly. 

I find numbers discussions (scores, prices, sales, fps) in general becoming too prevalent and by extension a bit annoying in the videogame space. Yes, I know I mentioned the resolution and performance earlier, but that was in response to the question about a patch. But you'd think that with games getting so much exposure through youtube and Twitch that people would rather focus on what they see and evaluate whether it's their cup of tea instead of arguing over the numerical value of someone else's opinion. Or whether or not it drops a frame or two when you throw a torch into a haystack.

Or maybe it's just me being rather fed up with the whole social media space at the moment.

In any case, I sign off from any Zelda stuff until fall or so to avoid any spoilers. Hope you all have a good time with it.

It just feels like groundhog day.  There are always outliers.  Of course it's dumb that anyone is getting abused.  No game or any piece of creative work is gonna impress every single person and make them apply a perfect numerical score towards it.

I'm just so done with this.  I'm too old for this shit now.

I might check out the dissenters but I've gonna go play it at this point in time.

That 6/10 at gfinity is actually a good review. For someone like me who wasn’t keen on the original and who doesn’t necessarily like the sound of the additions. He confirms my suspicions on how stop start it is and how much messing about in menus you have to do when fusing (as Skill up did as well) and how a bit of a faff the ultra hand is. & I’m the type of person that goes “fuck that” when Skill Up did his spoilery bit where he says it

Spoiler

also has a ridiculously big and dark underworld.

While he says it excitedly, it just puts me off completely. & the gfinity guys seems more like me regarding these games. 

But I don’t know what having that review helps really. Why give the non BOTW guy the new one? Except to confirm prejudices people like myself have about the game. & maybe clicks?