passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Soul Reaver is one that's been mentioned. That was so far ahead of anything I saw at the time. It helps that Raziel is clearly one of the coolest characters in games, even nearly a score after he was last seen.

Ones that have not been mentioned. Borderlands 1, 2 and Tales from the Borderlands. Some nice direction and music before you start off. TPS and 3 are nowhere near

The Left 4 Dead one is great as well.

Intro to Dead Island is excellent, one of the few intros I watch every single time I played it. Shame the game wasn't up to the level of that opening few minutes.

GTA tends to have a decent starts.

Bioshock too. First 10 minutes of that game are totally absorbing.

keyart_4th_leonclaire_1534761158-7dba.jpg

Readers celebrate the 25th anniversary of Resident Evil with fond memories of the world’s favourite survival horror.

It may be hard to believe but Resident Evil celebrated its 25th birthday on Monday and so we wanted to know what you think of the franchise and which is your favourite entry. Why do you think the series has lasted so long and what do you hope for its future?

Everyone seemed very positive about the series in general, although it was no surprise to find the favourites were Resident Evil 4 and the recent remake of 2. Plenty are looking forward to Village as well though, with most satisfied that Capcom are doing a good job manging the series.

One of the best gaming series’ out there. 5 & 6 are terrible but every other mainline entry I I’ve absolutely loved. Easy and obvious for my favourite, REmake 1. Not only is it the best Resi, it’s one of the best games ever. It’s near enough perfect at what it’s doing. 

Original 2, 4 and VII are all outstanding too. But REmake is the absolute pinnacle. 

Yeah, REmake 1 is the best in the series by a mile. Runner up would be my personal favourite of the original trilogy: Nemesis. Third would be Code Veronica, which I do have a weird attachment to. Although I can't remember if I ever finished the game or not?

I haven't been keen on the direction the series has gone in since RE 5. So I have no real hopes for RE in the future. For now, it is a series I refer to in the past tense, like Silent Hill.

'Direction since re5' is a weird thing to say I think cause since REVII the whole series has been an exercise in course correction.

I think RE1 remake is an impeccably designed game and the crimson heads enemies are the best idea they ever had, I'm super confused why they never brought the 'zombie corpse disposal' mechanic back cause it punishes/rewards dealing with threats in a way that also punishes/rewards knowing your way around the mansion and where the bottlenecks are. I badly want a VR Remake or spiritual successor to that particular game cause it could add even more.

Right now though I think they are turning out these games pretty fast and I'm not massively hyped for REVIII, least not until they announce the VR version.

Resident Evil is the only reason I've owned two Nintendo consoles, that says it all really... it's also the only reason I've ever imported a game (Resi 4, thanks Lik Sang)

Like the majority I think Remake is a masterclass in game design, it's almost perfect in my opinion. I'm also incredibly impressed with the two recent remakes... there's enough in the Resi pipeline to be excited for for a long time to come.?

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

'Direction since re5' is a weird thing to say I think cause since REVII the whole series has been an exercise in course correction.

? Huh, I swear I wrote RE 4. Nevermind?‍♂️ Regardless, it is the heavy lean more towards action that I didn't really care for. Besides, RE6 was the last one I played. So that comment was only in reference to 4-6.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I think RE1 remake is an impeccably designed game and the crimson heads enemies are the best idea they ever had, I'm super confused why they never brought the 'zombie corpse disposal' mechanic back cause it punishes/rewards dealing with threats in a way that also punishes/rewards knowing your way around the mansion and where the bottlenecks are. I badly want a VR Remake or spiritual successor to that particular game cause it could add even more.

I thought it was the ideal system as opposed to the "bullet sponge" mechanic they've use in the REmakes since. Instead of a standard Zombie taking upto half a clip to bring down, it only takes a couple bullets. But unless you get a critical hit to the head or dispose of the body, after a few seconds they just start to get back up. That gives added tension to each encounter and makes a room full of Zombies a significant threat. 

54 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Ah fair enough. Sorry.

No worries. It is the main reason I do steer clear of the FPS genre and haven't really been near it since PS3. I imagine even if this [mythical] Timesplitters remaster comes along. Although it was a favourite series of mine, I doubt I could play it.

I think Resident Evil was starting to become regarded as a bit of a joke, so while 7 isn't my sort of game, it did feel like a proper game, a well made game. resident Evil seems to be the bell-weather for how Capcom are as a company. When they're putting out good stuff Resident Evil is quality, when Capcom lose their minds Resident Evil is pretty poor

That being said, it's not a series I've ever been a die hard for. I rate Resident Evil 4 as one of the best games ever made, and I've liked a few other, but there's usually something in their design that isn't for me

26 minutes ago, Nag said:

You must be playing a different game to me...

22 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Yeah it's pretty typical to dump half a magazine in classic RE as well.

Sometimes you're just as well off to kite two zombos down a hallway and blow both of them up at the same time with fire grenades/shotgun to head.

I only used the handgun for kiting hits anyway. Lure them out of the way with a shot or two, and run past. To be fair, I only ever used to kill Zombies with the shotgun/heavy hitter weapons.  By the end of each game, I always had plenty of handgun ammo because of that.

I’ve loved the series from the very beginning, way back to the original on PS1. From satisfying combat, to brilliant action, it’s consistently been a joy to play. Except for the huge misfire that was Resi 6.

I was sceptical about 7, I initially wasn’t too keen on the switch to first person. But it was a bloody great game. So I’m definitely well up for 8.

I'm one of those non-fans whose first RE game was 4 and who also considers it the best game in the series among those that I've played. I realise it's not a classic RE experience but it's just an excellently crafted and paced videogame with tons of replay value just for how well it all fits together. On a non-gameplay level is also a phenomenal technical achievement, though I suppose that has always been the series' forte.

4 was a fantastic game. It’s very different to what came before, which is jarring for some people. But ultimately, it’s excellent. Satisfying combat. The weird joy of arranging your inventory items. THAT merchant. It was just fantastic. After playing it at a friends house, I got a GameCube specifically to own RE4. Then it came out on PS2 anyway. Still, no regrets, as I got to play Resi 1 Remake, one of the absolute best of the franchise.

I enjoy the bonkers story telling in Resi games (scratches a similar itch to metal gear solid in that respect) but I've always been terrible with anything remotely scary or suspenseful so never actually played one by myself. When the original came out, my dad borrowed it for me from a work friend of his. I started it with my mate, then had to let him play through it as I watched it through my fingers. Years later I did play through 5 coop with a housemate and enjoyed that a lot. Maybe it's time I gave Resi another change. (Not the FPS one though, that sounds terrifying.)